Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #46
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Well, you should of course start the application, see if the "Times Roman" font shows up, initialize it, and assign it to any of the system fonts to actually see a change
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #47
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Huh?! Please remember I come from K3, where installing the bin-file pretty much did it.
What application should I start? How? Where? I now have a dir developer, but there's not much in there. Or should I copy the files in the src-dir to the Kindle? As you already guessed, I'm groping here...

Think of me as one of those simpletons who will be eternally grateful if, just once, you will explain that final step (I hope).
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #48
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, start the "Font Hack" application from your home screen...

Last edited by ixtab; 02-29-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #49
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
It works! Amazing! And even more amazing how you let me figure it out myself with just a few hints. Still, for noobs it might still be a good idea to add some guidance on how to get into the app and initialize, assign, etc. After all, it is very user-friendly and very elegant, once you see how to make it do its magic. And it might spare you a lot of questions.

ixtab, you're my hero! Now I can actually start using my KT. Where can I donate?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
It works! Amazing! And even more amazing how you let me figure it out myself with just a few hints. Still, for noobs it might still be a good idea to add some guidance on how to get into the app and initialize, assign, etc. After all, it is very user-friendly and very elegant, once you see how to make it do its magic. And it might spare you a lot of questions.

ixtab, you're my hero! Now I can actually start using my KT. Where can I donate?
Hehe, you're welcome

I intentionally provided only a little guidance, because the UI should be mostly self-explaining, and because I wanted you to know that you can try out things without fear of breaking them

As for the "donation"... I you like this hack, just click on the little "Karma" button
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #51
alaiksander
Enthusiast
alaiksander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
Will it be possible to display arabic texts? If it is, would you suggest me a font to install?
I'll be very thankful if you can describe the steps to make it so.

Last edited by alaiksander; 03-01-2012 at 03:34 AM.
alaiksander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #52
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaiksander View Post
Will it be possible to display arabic texts? If it is, would you suggest me a font to install?
I'll be very thankful if you can describe the steps to make it so.
Touch already displays arabic texts. Try this: Send a doc with Arabic text to your Kindle via "Send to Kindle for PC"
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #53
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@desirumguy: I have tried to find some tamil ebook in "real unicode" in .mobi format, but did not find any (I only found the ones in TSCII encoding in the thread you mentioned, but without installing the appropriate font, it obviously only displays garbage).

However, I have installed a thai ebook on the device, taken from the second post of this thread (downloaded the epub, and had calibre automatically convert it to .mobi).

It displays properly. (this is actually what I expected, since the KT comes with the Code 2000 font, which should support virtually all languages).

So my suggestion is, before you break your Kindle by installing some weird font hacks, give it a go with the installed font.

I tried a bit more, and created a small HTML test file which I converted to .mobi using this site. As far as I can tell, everything displays properly on the device. I'm attaching the files for reference, so you can check the results for yourself.

Again, this was verified to work on a *standard* Kindle with *no* font hack.

That will be answered by my uncle ( I know tamil, but that looks unknown to me)
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #54
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
installed the font hack, everything works fine except the UI.

i installed 4 new fonts. on the Overview page, only 3 were shown, but they were all available on the Details drop down menu. As for the sample text display, 1 font showed only 3 samples and 1 showed only 2.

the Fonts setting pop-up was also affected. during one instance, instead of showing 8 font sizes, one font size was missing from the display.

the Serif, Sans Serif, Monospace, Condensed selections at the bottom of the screen also behaved erratically. the Condensed selection would under some circumstances not shown.

it will be good if these problems can be resolved. anyway, thanks for the good efforts.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #55
ixtab
(offline)

@yiming: This MAY be related with my above statement that for reasons unknown to me, some fonts simply come up completely "blank" at some font sizes.

Could you send me one of the affected fonts (by PM, unless it's legal to attach it here) so I can verify this?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #56
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

@ixtab: the 4 fonts i used were: Caecilia, Helvetica, VeraMo and Averia. they are available in message #39 of this thread.

missing font sizes on the sample text page happened on Caecilia and Helvetica.

when i select Helvetica as the serif font, the smallest font size will be missing from the Aa selection for regular, condensed and sans serif.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #57
ixtab
(offline)

OK, I'll test that at home, however I'm afraid that I can only acknowledge that the problem exists, not provide a solution (I simply don't know why it's happening).

For the other problem ("=> condensed" not showing), I assume that this happens when you have a different sans-serif font set. Can you tell me with which font it happens?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
ixtab
(offline)

OK, I have now tested it.

1. On the first run, Caecilia would only display blank text for the Bold/Bold Italic variants at size 60. However, after another restart, all font sizes were displayed correctly. Helvetica displayed correctly for me since the beginning. Conclusion: this is not a bug in the font hack, but something weird happening on the Kindle. Restarting the framework might help for some obscure reason. Other than that, there is nothing I can do about it.

2. I'm still trying to understand your sentence "the Condensed selection would under some circumstances not shown." Is the button not shown, or does the selection have no effect? If it's the former, then please let me know. If it's the latter, this is a known problem (which I forgot to mention) in version 1.0. I now know how to fix it though, so this will be fixed in v1.1.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
yiming
Zealot

@ixtab, thanks for trying to solve the problems. wrt point 2, the bug is the "Condensed" button doesn't show.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #60
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@ixtab, thanks for trying to solve the problems. wrt point 2, the bug is the "Condensed" button doesn't show.
Ok, then please let me know under which circumstances this happens (i.e. which assignments to serif, sans-serif, monospace, condensed are active when this happens?) Ideally, if you can, please attach a screenshot.

Tags
kindle touch hacks