Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #22231
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #4.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #22232
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Just ordered a new hot water dispenser. Trying a HOMEIMAGE 3.2 Liter Electric Thermo Hot Pot - HI-EKA32L.

http://www.amazon.com/HOMEIMAGE-3-2-...ater+dispenser

It is less expensive then my old brand, hopefully it works fine. I am planning on plugging it in a work and using it there.
Quite a reasonable price. I'll be interested to hear what the final verdict is, though I'm not likely to need another one soon, assuming I don't drop the one I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've been thinking about it and thinking about it and thinking about it. I really should NOT have passed up that shot the other day, of the Japanese Maple in the middle of the tea garden... It was bugging me since the minute I rode past and didn't stop. And that's not like me. When I see something, I DO something. Right then and there!!! Dammmit!

So today I rode back there, 80km through the mountains, trying not to grin like a mad fool at the colors of the trees as I passed, and now, relaxing with a mug of Taylor's of Harrogate's "Yorkshire" tea, I've uploaded it to the computer, cropped it down, turned it into a small jpg file (and a huge .tif file too) and have it on my screen as wallpaper!

Stitchawl
Very nice shot. Well done to go back and get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Still fighting a nasty head/chest cold - medicating with Talisker!
Sorry for the cold, though I would think the Talisker a reasonable consolation.

This morning, Lapsang Souchong. A miserable morning here on the Wet Coast, though they claim we might get a short break later in the day.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #22233
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Stitchawl - Those colors are amazing. Is that called "super saturated"? Is it a setting on the camera or truly what comes out when you take the picture with a regular camera? I like that the tree stands out amongst the tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Coke Zero #4.
I have seen "Coke Zero" so many times that I have twice tried it. Nope. I guess I am not a soda person. I have tried many different kinds over the years and have not acquired a taste for any. It is either too syrup sweet (regular) or has a "funny" taste/flavor (diet/sugar free/etc..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
In my cup: hibiscus tea with mint
In my hand: sandwich with falafel
Hi! I look for your posts, as I like to know that you are still safe and having fun. It looks like you are in the "really having fun" part.

Wet and cold outside, but at least a break in the rain. Fresh sumatra coffee in my cup and making lists for last minute shopping for Thanksgiving.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #22234
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keemun Xian Zhen. Second steeping.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #22235
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
couldn't sleep at all last night,
Just a-thinking of you.
Baby things weren't right.
Well I was tossing and turnin',
Turnin' and tossing,
Tossing and turnin' all night.

I kicked the blankets on the floor,
Turned my pillow upside down.
I never never did before,
Because I was tossing and turnin',
Turnin and tossing,
Tossing an turnin' all night.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEPDEJbJu0 )

Good morning, all. I hope you slept better than I did last night... Wow! What an uncomfortable way to spend 7 hours... horrible nightmares, wrenching neck pain, burning shoulder pain, asleep, awake, asleep, awake... then to wake up this morning completely pain-free? I don't understand

Oh well... on with today. I starts with a mug of Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea, a bowl of rice, kimchee, and chicken. That'll get me going in the right direction. I have my 'Senior Citizen Conversation Class' this afternoon. We'll continue where we left off last week, with our 'Asking for, and giving directions,' as these folks all travel often. They have the time. You'd be amazed at just how poorly some people are at giving directions. And I'm not talking about the language difficulties... Adding in too much detail (go 11 paces to the yellow and white cross-walk, turn 90 degrees left, then starting with your right foot, cross the street...) is usually the biggest problem. The second is using compass directions. If there are four stores on four corners, saying the shop you want is on the NW corner is only easy if the listener knows north from south. But if they do know, the compass is the easiest way to get from the station to the museum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - Those colors are amazing. Is that called "super saturated"? Is it a setting on the camera or truly what comes out when you take the picture with a regular camera? I like that the tree stands out amongst the tea.
Yes, that is called 'super saturated.'
I was tempted to use a photo editing program to make the tea look more vibrant, but I didn't want to detract from the red of the Maple or the yellow of the Ginko. Yes, my camera has a setting so I can adjust the saturation of the image right in the camera. When shooting film, we have the choice of using a highly saturated film like Fuji Velvia, a medium saturation such as Fuji Provia, or no saturation at all (for portraits) such as Fuji Portra. (Kodak, Agfa, and Illford also have their own saturation or color specialties. Some are better for Yellows and Orange [Kodak,] or Reds and Purples [Agfa,] Fuji is best for Green, etc.) When digital cameras came first came out, we were missing this ability to adjust for landscapes or portraits. The newer camera have it.

But I increase the 'appearance' of saturation by using two or more different filters over the lens when I shoot. I use a 'polorizing filter' which can REALLY make the colors jump out at you when use correctly, combined with a 'Graduated Neutral Density filter' which blocks the light from part of the image... in this case from the sky, making the sky appear much bluer. When shooting over water, I often use two Grad Neutral Density filters; one from the top and the other from the bottom. Today, a lot of this can be achieved with PhotoShop, but it never looks quite the same...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 11-21-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #22236
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow. Way too much for my little digital camera. Well, for me anyway. There are so many settings that I just point and shoot. *ducks head* My son had a variety lenses etc and is always experimenting with shots and settings. He bought this camera for me, thinking that I would learn to get much better photos.

decaf sumatra coffee in my cup and sitting down to relax before tomorrow's busy day.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #22237
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Milk in my cup, off to bed!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #22238
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
( thank you, Dreams...) ( hope Betty is coping well. Hugs.)

In el Mineya, the south of Egypt. I went to shop for bananas last night, under the protection of sn policeman and was taken to the hotel Cleopatra in a policecar with blue flashlight and all. Very embarassing.
In my cup: warm nescafé
In my hand: flat bread, feta, another cheese, egg, tomato and cucumber.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #22239
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Another early morning and black coffee in my cup. Thanksgiving day here. Thanks to all of you, once again, for the thoughts and good wishes. The funeral went well, although some of the logistics involving Mom's house are proving to be a bit rough. My brother is still here, and we are having a rather nontraditional Thanksgiving dinner today since we're eating out at a local restaurant. None of us has the energy or inclination to host a meal today.

Desertblues, it sounds as if you don't have as much freedom as you would like on this trip. Please be careful, though, and enjoy what you can while remaining safe!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #22240
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That sounds like the Egypt I remember. Tourism is a large source of income for the country and they know kidnappings and terror attacks will drive away tourists so the best thing to do is to protect the tourists.

Betty, enjoy the day as best as you can.

To all my American friends, Happy Thanksgiving!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #22241
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just finished Thanksgiving dinner... We broke our tradition of Thanksgiving Sushi, and had Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup and Grilled Cheddar Cheese sandwiches on home-made bread. We've been eating too much sushi lately anyway... and I haven't had a dinner like this is more than 25 years. I was inspired by ?'s post of having tomato soup the other day... This was my comfort food as a kid! And my wife had never tasted either cream of tomato soup nor grilled cheddar and tomato sandwiches before so it was a brand new experience for her! Now I'm sitting back with a glass of rum, and finishing up some e-mails before watching a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Wow. Way too much for my little digital camera. Well, for me anyway. There are so many settings that I just point and shoot. *ducks head* My son had a variety lenses etc and is always experimenting with shots and settings. He bought this camera for me, thinking that I would learn to get much better photos.
As long as you're happy with the results you get, that all you need a camera to do! Frankly, I often set my camera on full automatic so it's really just a bigger and heavier 'point and shoot.' If you remember the three basic rules of composition; Chose a Subject, Simplify the Subject, and Fill the Frame with the Subject, and have a good automatic setting on your camera, you can't miss. You can take great photos with a cell phone camera!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #22242
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Desertblues, it sounds as if you don't have as much freedom as you would like on this trip. Please be careful, though, and enjoy what you can while remaining safe!
Thanks Betty. Keep strong and take care in all.

Sitting in my room on a Boat on the Nile, somewhat exhausted from sightseeing tombs and the likes. I have a view on the Nile, so no complaints. Tomorrow, in Luxor, we'll have our freedom once again. It is only in the region of El Mineya and Asyut that the police are obliged to protect us.
Reading Naguib Mahfouz' ' Akhenaten, dweller in truth', about this strange pharaoh who believed in the one and only god Aten instead of all different ones. And I finished Ken Follets ' The key to Rebecca'. Thanks for the suggestion; I loved this book.
It is fantastic to see all these sights.

In my cup: hot nescafé, after having drunk obscure Egyptian tea all day.
In my hand: nothing. We, the police and us, are going to dine on another boat in an hour.

(and an embarassing ride through a very crowded town, with a police car in front- lights and all- )
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #22243
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I enjoyed the cruise. Luxor is awesome. There are places were the Christians turned some of Luxor's small temples into churches. You can see the saints and the like on some of the columns.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #22244
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating. And desertblues - keep safe and enjoy yourself (sound like you are).

Black coffee on a fasting day...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #22245
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US. Happy work day for the rest of us. I've got 7 more work days on this contract, and I really need to get everything finished up before it's over. So no goofing off today, I fear.

Peet's Anniversary Breakfast Blend in my cup.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?