Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Tim32127
Tim32127 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I have an Idea

Everytime a book is released that I would buy if it was released in ebook(in a format i will deal with) I'm emailing the publisher letting them know they lost a sell. If more people did this mabee they'll get the idea that they are only hurting the people that want to support them by holding back.

Tim..
Tim32127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
jaqian
jaqian began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x50 (PDA)
I thought of doing something similar but emailing the author to say I would have bought the ebook if it hadn't been drm'd as I'd rather own the book than lease it.
jaqian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Tim32127

I agree with the drm . I just think the publisher would have the control on all existing contracts.
Tim.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
jaqian
jaqian began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x50 (PDA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim32127 View Post
I agree with the drm . I just think the publisher would have the control on all existing contracts.
Tim.
You agree that there should be drm on ebooks?
jaqian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Also email the retailer, Tim. What many folks here don't understand is that there's a whole bunch of small indie publushers who publish internationally in a single edition and with full rights and whose books should have no restrictions, geographically or otherwise, but who are caught up in the big boys' crossfire. Hoots. Neil (who, as a publisher, must find more loopholes and back doors than the reader must to get his authors' books to your devices)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Tim32127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqian View Post
You agree that there should be drm on ebooks?
No, I agree the drm is a problem.
I also don't think ebooks should be priced higher than the pbook that is curently out.
I think the main reason people read pireted books is because they are not given an acceptable option by the people who make books.
although i'm aware what is acceptabe to me may not be to someone else.
I think the more people that tell the publisher what they would buy the better the chance they will listen.

I think the biggest mistake they are making today is not releasing every new book in ebook in all formats when they reslease the pbook.

I believe the drm and priceing will work themselves out much as they are in music.

If nothing else at least i feel better letting them know why they are losing my money.

Tim..
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Tim32127

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Also email the retailer, Tim. What many folks here don't understand is that there's a whole bunch of small indie publushers who publish internationally in a single edition and with full rights and whose books should have no restrictions, geographically or otherwise, but who are caught up in the big boys' crossfire. Hoots. Neil (who, as a publisher, must find more loopholes and back doors than the reader must to get his authors' books to your devices)
I don't understand what retailer you mean. do you mean sony / fictionwise / ect. I would like to let as many people in control as posible know my problem with their effort to keep me from legally buying their books.
Tim.

speaking of mob. spellcheck on here would be nice

Last edited by Tim32127; 01-04-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Hey guys, it's not the author's fault. You would be amazed at how little most authors know about what is actually in those contracts, and how little control they have over what the publishers do with their work. It's all on the publishers, if you're going to yell, yell at them.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Hey guys, it's not the author's fault. You would be amazed at how little most authors know about what is actually in those contracts, and how little control they have over what the publishers do with their work. It's all on the publishers, if you're going to yell, yell at them.
The author should know exactly whats in the contract he or she signs. Why on earth would you sign a contract that you do not understand.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Tim32127

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
The author should know exactly whats in the contract he or she signs. Why on earth would you sign a contract that you do not understand.
If it's like most contracts it would take more time to read than writing the book did it the first place and that doesn't even get into the time it would take to understand it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've emailed publishers a couple of times. You may receive a form letter back.

It only takes 2-3 minutes to send off an email and if you can find an email address of middle or upper management types, then you might get someone to pay attention. Eventually when they receive 10'000 emails complaining about a missing ebook they might take notice hehe. People power!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Even if they read and understand enough about the tech side of it to get the DRM thing, they may not get a contract with that publisher (or any major publisher) if they insist on their ebook editions being DRM-free. I would applaud their bravery if they did but I can see why they might choose furthering their career over joining this fight. Very few authors have enough clout to dictate contract terms. Sure, they could go to an indie house but if they have a shot at a big house that can push their books more powerfully, it can be a pretty big personal sacrifice.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Oh yeah... And so many publishers give a multi-page contract with lots of dense language that has specific meaning to lawyers and not many others. It can be quite difficult to make heads or tails of some contracts. Most author aren't lawyers.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I have never been able to figure that one out, either, but I can assure you, that's exactly what happens in the vast majority of author/publisher contracts. I have had wildly successful authors tell me to my face (well, in my email), that they don't have a clue about what rights they have or don't have, and have no control over what the publishers do with their work.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

I email the publishers letting them know I just read the e-book version and enjoyed it very much. I also note that I would have purchased it had it been available.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote