Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
danielreetz
danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
DIY High-speed Book Scanner Plans

I just published a lengthy Instructable on how to build a book scanner using salvage materials and cheap cameras. I also have software to process the output into PDFs, though it is very much a work-in-progress.

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it, maybe some of you will make one? I'll do my best to support anyone who makes the attempt.

The quality of the samples on that page DO NOT reflect the best this scanner can do -- I was in a hurry to get it done before the Instructables deadline.

I've been lurking around the site ever since I got a PRS-500 cheap with a Sony card, but I was so bummed with the resolution/software that I ended up selling it.

PS. If you have an account at Instructables, please vote for my project!
danielreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Didn't have an account but the tutorial was excellent!
So I created one and voted for your instructions.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
danielreetz
danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!danielreetz , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Wow, thanks =X=. Hope others enjoy it as much as you did.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
You got Boinged as well ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
danielreetz

Thanks for the heads-up. I just headed over there.
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Good job, Daniel.

Unfortunately it's horribly complicated :-)

Just yesterday I've assembled a do-it-yourself-in-10-minutes-or-so book scanner as shown here: http://www.infanata.org/news/1146100...-pomoshhi.html.

The page is in Russian but the pictures are most important.

Here's Google Translation: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
danielreetz

Я говорю по-русски.

Nice project!

I think we have somewhat different goals and different audiences.

I wanted to make a very fast scanner with very consistent output that automatically produces PDF output with free software. Your scanner a very nice minimal improvisation, but it won't go as fast, and the output will not be as consistent.

Some of the complexity in my design is simply because *I* was improvising with what I had around me. I explained every little detail of the construction so that even someone with no building experience could make one. If you already know what you're doing, you can simply skip those steps.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
owl123
Addict

Thanks, but this wasn't my idea. I just found the page I mentioned above and did what its authors propose.

I'll try your idea in a few months or so I hope.

BTW. I can barely read Cyrillic alphabet ;-) I'm Polish.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
danielreetz

Ha, funny. English is my native language but I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

If you do go ahead with building a scanner, please contact me if you need anything. It would be great if other people built some.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
They have their own forum now.

http://www.diybookscanner.org
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
nkongur
nkongur began at the beginning.

Device: HP hx4700+4 GB CF+ 2GB SD Card
i designed less complicated diy book scanner than russians two years ago and scanned tens of books since then . over 800 pages a3 size page book takes less than an hour
here is a sample book both pdf and doc format incase you want to check the quality. the book is in turkish
http://rapidshare.com/files/15913845...elojisi_ed.rar
pdf
http://rapidshare.com/files/12282036...Mitolojisi.rar

doc
nkongur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Don't suppose you have any photos of this wondrous contraption? Less complicated is always a bonus for those starting out.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
nkongur

i should digg my hdd to find them. otherwise i have to retake the photos
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
owl123
Addict

I'd love to see your book scanner as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
nkongur

hi again, sorry it took a while here is the homebrew bookscanner

http://i41.tinypic.com/334k8so.jpg this is the original size of the picture. table and lamps cost me 50 usd. any 5 or more MP camera should be enough

Last edited by nkongur; 06-24-2009 at 06:20 PM.