Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
urbie
Enthusiast
urbie began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Aura font weight

Hello

Because of the screenlight i recently switched from Sony PRS-T1 to Kobo Aura (firmware 3.3) and till now i don´t regret that switch.
One question however. For me, with my old eyes, the letters seem a little blurred with lighted screen in the evening.
I tried to solve that by changing the font-weight ( font menu / advanced / thickness ) Moving the slider to the extreme right i see a clear change in the "before and after" example window.
However, after applying i don't notice a difference in the text i'm reading. Do i something wrong, a bug....who can give me a clue
urbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hmm, I seem to remember seeing something similar once or twice. Try restarting the device (not just sleep/unsleep, but a full reboot).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
However, after applying i don't notice a difference in the text i'm reading. Do i something wrong, a bug....who can give me a clue
First, is the book actually using the font you have selected? If the book uses an embedded font it will ignore your selected font and, I guess, the sharpness settings.

Second, I've experienced the same problem with some fonts, but others work as expected. Try choosing a different font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
urbie
Enthusiast
urbie began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Thank you for answering. I did some research meanwhile and the conclusion is that the problem is epub related. (as Jellby indicated). Some books do respond to adjustments, some not (embedded fonts ?) Some even partially respond, the headers change but the textbody doesn't.
I suppose its repairable with Sigil or Calibre, however i also surmise it's a tedious job. Postponed job (-:
urbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
Thank you for answering. I did some research meanwhile and the conclusion is that the problem is epub related. (as Jellby indicated). Some books do respond to adjustments, some not (embedded fonts ?) Some even partially respond, the headers change but the textbody doesn't.
I suppose its repairable with Sigil or Calibre, however i also surmise it's a tedious job. Postponed job (-:
I've been using the Modify Epub plugin for Calibre to remove embedded fonts along with some other clean up such as those ebooks that are filled with empty <span></span> pair.

On a somewhat related note, I've been using JSWolf's modified Charis SIL since a good chunk of the modification was making the normal font heavier (not quite demi-bold but close) which I find easier to read under most lighting. As usual that is a personal choice so feel free to differ.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might want to try Koreader, it allows you to turn Embedded Style on or off. It also has an option to "Set render style" with:
"clear all external styles"
Auto
chm.css
cr3.css
dict.css
doc.css
epub.css
fb2.css
htm.css
rtf.css
txt.css

You can tweak those and/or add your own to the list.

Luck;
Ken

You should also checkout tshering's "Modifications for bad eyes" thread.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-03-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
First, is the book actually using the font you have selected? If the book uses an embedded font it will ignore your selected font and, I guess, the sharpness settings.

Second, I've experienced the same problem with some fonts, but others work as expected. Try choosing a different font.
Is there not an option in the settings of the reader to ignore the embedded font and use the reader selected font? (most of my books are sideloaded kepubs, and I don't think I've ever run into a book with embedded fonts on my kobo)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Is there not an option in the settings of the reader to ignore the embedded font and use the reader selected font? (most of my books are sideloaded kepubs, and I don't think I've ever run into a book with embedded fonts on my kobo)

Shari
For a stock Kobo reader, you can't disable using the ebook's CSS. which includes any embedded fonts. Depending on which side of the fence you're on, this is a great feature or a massive failure. I've had an ereader that totally disregarded the internal CSS which came in handy with those ebooks whose stock CSS gave top, bottom and side margins that used up half the screen display. On the other hand, it messed up several books which looked good on my computer.

An option would be nice to have.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For a stock Kobo reader, you can't disable using the ebook's CSS. which includes any embedded fonts. Depending on which side of the fence you're on, this is a great feature or a massive failure. I've had an ereader that totally disregarded the internal CSS which came in handy with those ebooks whose stock CSS gave top, bottom and side margins that used up half the screen display. On the other hand, it messed up several books which looked good on my computer.

An option would be nice to have.

Regards,
David
I agree that best would be to have the option to use the book's embedded formatting or not.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote