Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #121
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0ke42 View Post
Hi,
I had to re-install some stuff on my KPW2 after an update. So I thought I'd install the backdoor lock too this time. But I didn't get the option to update the Kindle (greyed out). Probably this one doesn't work for my Kindle?
I had the same problem before with Python and Screensaver hack, for these I needed the newest snapshots. So maybe my Kindle is too new? Will there be a backdoor lock that will work on my Kindle? Thanks!

EDIT: extra info:
first 4 characters of serial number: 9017
The firmware version is 5.4.5.1
The Update_*.bin file has not been re-packaged yet.

Read and follow the directions in the last section of the first post of this thread.
Those instructions do not use the *.bin update file.

No one (yet) has reported that the lock works (or does not work) on the newest PW2 models.

Last edited by knc1; 08-16-2014 at 11:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #122
j0ke42
j0ke42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The Update_*.bin file has not been re-packaged yet.

Read and follow the directions in the last section of the first post of this thread.
Those instructions do not use the *.bin update file.

No one (yet) has reported that the lock works (or does not work) on the newest PW2 models.
ok, so I need to install KUAL and the extension instead?
I'll try that, thanks
j0ke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #123
j0ke42
j0ke42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Done, now let's hope that indeed it locked the backdoor of my new PW2
Thanks again
j0ke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #124
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Version 11:
Just repackaged with the newest KindleTool to support installing on the new 4GB PW2 model.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #125
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Version 11:Just repackaged with the newest KindleTool to support installing on the new 4GB PW2 model.
SUPER!
We have had a recent increase in interest in this control application.

- - - -
6336 - a nice, symmetrical looking number.
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #126
cooler66
cooler66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-K4S, PW2IL
BackDoorLock seems to break my kindle pw2. After enabling/disabling it via KUAL, the kindle can no longer be recognized as USB device (it's charging). Any idea?
cooler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #127
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler66 View Post
BackDoorLock seems to break my kindle pw2. After enabling/disabling it via KUAL, the kindle can no longer be recognized as USB device (it's charging). Any idea?
Not likely that the BackDoorLock is the cause of what you observe.
Do you have anything else installed recently?
Do you have USBnetworking installed and enabled?

Meanwhile, just let it keep on charging, preferably on a wall charger.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #128
cooler66

Quote:
Not likely that the BackDoorLock is the cause of what you observe.
Do you have anything else installed recently?
Do you have USBnetworking installed and enabled?

Meanwhile, just let it keep on charging, preferably on a wall charger.
You're absolutely right Silly me. I assumed it was "BackDoorLock" because it was the last thing I turned on before restarting
Old 10-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #129
cooler66

BackDoorLock seems to take over my kindle. Now it totally disables any update by deleting all bin files I put in the root folder even though I chose "unlock the back door". Anything I missed?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #130
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
BackDoorLock seems to take over my kindle. Now it totally disables any update by deleting all bin files I put in the root folder even though I chose "unlock the back door". Anything I missed?
Yes.
Your info block says: "Kindle" - Which Kindle?
First you have to know this site's nickname for your model.

Using the first four characters of your Kindle's serial number -
look up its nickname in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

The disappearing files:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
bullet #4

Now share with us the model nickname of your kindle and the full filename of an update that "disappears" - - with a link if possible.

(You may have a 'new', unsupported by the packaging, model.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #131
cooler66

Quote:
Yes.
Your info block says: "Kindle" - Which Kindle?
First you have to know this site's nickname for your model.
9017, PW2IL (info block updated)

Quote:
update_combined-dev-certs-20121002_install.bin

Note: problem solved after removing 'backdoorlock' folder from extensions.

Last edited by cooler66; 10-18-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #132
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
9017, PW2IL (info block updated)

update_combined-dev-certs-20121002_install.bin

Note: problem solved after removing 'backdoorlock' folder from extensions.
Wrong update file for that model.

Get your packages from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

The combined-dev-certs are in the MKK package now.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #133
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
On my PW2 9017 that I upgraded to 5.6.1 for testing, I installed the backdoorlock through KUAL, but for some reason the lock state shows unlocked after locking. I tried several times. Any ideas? Thank you!

And thank you for your work on the FGA.

ETA - I previously had the backdoorlock installed the other way, but when everything went away after the wipe I figured the bdl did too.

Last edited by pghaworth; 11-18-2014 at 08:39 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #134
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pghaworth: Same root (ha! pun intended) issue as the rest of the havoc caused by FW 5.6.1, KUAL (and thus, and more importantly, what it runs) doesn't run as root anymore, and as such doesn't have the permissions required to do most of the stuff we assumed we could do before.

TL;DR: Right now, most KUAL scripts are broken on FW 5.6.1.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #135
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
As I suspected, but was hoping and wanted to test it anyway. Thanks for the confirmation.

LOL "same root"
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock