Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
Borders on RTf/TXT file

Someone posted an image of the Cybook displaying a plain TXT file and it has fairly large blank borders surrounding the text (unused space) on the screen.

Most of what I plan to read are TXT and RTF files (which I would currently have to convert on the Cybook). Does the Sony go 'to the edges' with RTF and TXT files and if anyone knows, what size fonts does it default to for the three sizes?

Thanks

Last edited by horseyride; 11-13-2007 at 03:39 PM.
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Text files on the 505 do not leave a large margin on the left. On the right it depends on the hard returns.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyride View Post
Someone posted an image of the Cybook displaying a plain TXT file and it has fairly large blank borders surrounding the text (unused space) on the screen.

Most of what I plan to read are TXT and RTF files (which I would currently have to convert on the Cybook). Does the Sony go 'to the edges' with RTF and TXT files and if anyone knows, what size fonts does it default to for the three sizes?

Thanks
With Sony, you can convert any TXT/RTF to LRF with the help of BookDesigner with a few clicks of your mouse. If you do it then you can controll the size of the margins. I think, if I am not mistaken, you can get rid of them completely.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
But then, I'm not sure I would qualify margins as "unused space". They're usually a great way of improving the readibility of a document (imho).
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
But then, I'm not sure I would qualify margins as "unused space". They're usually a great way of improving the readibility of a document (imho).
I guess it is personal. Some people like to get rid off margins.
I leave them as they are in BD by default. I think all 4 sides 10, or top is 0? Don't remember.
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I leave them as they are in BD by default. I think all 4 sides 10, or top is 0? Don't remember.
What people like is usually not the same as good readability. For example people using Framemaker and Word producing papers usually have too long lines when writing single column papers and the reason is that they do not like all the white space they get if using a length with good readability. And only when you point out that maybe these long lines makes it hard to read they notice that it is a problem.

Last edited by tompe; 11-14-2007 at 08:34 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert

Probably you are right when you are refering to Word docs.
However, we have 6" screen which is not too long even in a landscape mode
From a few pics I have seen, the margins on Cybook were way too big for my liking, on the other hand I always leave margins, albeit much smaller. I don't like when the text is reaching reader's frame, I prefer to have a bit of white space on left and right. And at the bottom I have footers.
If I ever get 9.7" screen, I am going to leave bigger margins, I promise
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quote:
I guess it is personal.
I totally agree
Just wanted to remind that margins are not always evil...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The way I would do it in BD is to set the left/right margins to what it is you like and set the top/bottom to 0 and use the headers to offset that. Then you get it looking pretty good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote