Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
english Dictionary : quality

Hey there,

I've got an opus and I'd like to change because I want a dictionary. I'm a french speaker, fluent in english and I always read in english. Mostly science fiction, a bit of fantasy.

I've been looking a bit around, and I would really like to get an odyssey, mainly because there is a button to change pages. I don't like all those new readers without any button.

My other choice would be a PRS-T2. But my main concern for the odyssey is the english dictionary. So I would like some feedback from people in this forum, expecially people who have it and use the dictionary regularly.

I'll probably buy it if I get positive feedback here. That button to change page is really important for me
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
You mean, french to english dictionary ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
Yes, please clarify, because I bought mine in France, and it came only with a French dictionary (Littré), which btw proved to be useful for classic literature!
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Well I need a english to french and english dictionary. I read in english, and mostly I'd like to look up definitions and not traductions. I think I have the necessary level to understand definition in english, and would prefer to use it that way.

I know that there is no english dictionary in the odyssey but I also know there is one available for download that was provided by bookeen.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi,

the dictionaries provided by Bookeen are derived from wikis or GNU/CC sources. (Link: http://176.31.234.27/dic ) That is, they do not offer the same accuracy of commercial dictionaries, like those provided out-of-box by e.g. Sony devices.

However, you can make your own dictionary for the Odyssey with Penelope, a Python tool I developed:
http://code.google.com/p/penelope-dictionary-converter/
http://www.albertopettarin.it/penelope.html

This means that, if you already have a "good" dictionary, in Stardict or XML-like format, you can convert it and use it on the Odyssey.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably buy a kindle. I really like bookeen, but the kindle has the oxford dictionary for english, and I think I'll have a hard time finding it in stardict format. I don't have any dictionary at this time.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
You are welcome.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote