Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #151
serge_levin
serge_levin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle K3W
I've slightly improved the topic starter's jailbreak for 3.2.1 FW. It seems not to require strange games with timings and folder renaming amymore. I've tried it on my wife's Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, which came with 3.2.1 firmware a month ago and it seems to get installed OK.

It still exploits the backslash character processing to run the custom installation code.

Thanks to Yifan Lu for original jailbreak and Sir Alex for extracting otaup from the device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-3.2.1-jailbreak-0.5.1.zip (56.3 KB, 6885 views)
serge_levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #152
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Thank you. Are you the one who emailed me? I'm very busy with other stuff right now, so I can't really do any kindle stuff, but if other people can confirm that this works, I'll update the jailbreak to use the new method (I haven't checked to see if it's the same one I was going to use for 3.3, but as I've stated in my email, if someone else discovers something, I won't ask that they conceal it for me).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #153
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I've checked the code and it SHOULD work. I'm also amazed at how close the method you used is to what I was going to do. If we're lucky or if amazon isn't, they'll try to close the hole you found in the incorrect way, allowing its use again. However, if they close it using another method, it'll break both of our code. That's all I'm going to say about it
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #154
serge_levin

Yes, that's me who emailed you yesterday.

It uses "updatedat" file name for signed bundle and "update\dat" for custom to be installed.

Is that the way you were going to use in upcoming 3.3? If yes, I'm really sorry. That was the reason I emailed prior to making my results published. But I interpreted your answer as like you have something more interesting for the future.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #155
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_levin View Post
Yes, that's me who emailed you yesterday.

It uses "updatedat" file name for signed bundle and "update\dat" for custom to be installed.

Is that the way you were going to use in upcoming 3.3? If yes, I'm really sorry. That was the reason I emailed prior to making my results published. But I interpreted your answer as like you have something more interesting for the future.
I stand by my words. If someone else finds something I found independently, they can do whatever they want with it. I'm not the "master" of kindle jailbreaking. Anyways, I've also realized that Amazon won't release a 3.3, they'll most likely release Kindle 4.0 along with the Kindle 4 and it might not even run the same software.

Also, if you don't mind, I'll replace my jailbreak on the site with your's. I'll credit you of course, and if you want me to link to your site or anything, just say so.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #156
serge_levin

Yes, you surely may replace your JB with my one. Actually, it's derivative of your work and your ideas. I've only asked myself "what if I try this way..."
Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #157
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nice!

I'll probably also end up using this in my packages, thanks!

AFAICT, it won't run on anything older than 3.2.1, though (based on a quick check in a 3.1 sandbox, not a real kindle, so I may be wrong ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #158
ernie0012
ernie0012 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
my jailbreak doesn´t work

hi,

i have a new kindle 3 special offer and tried to install the 0.5.1.k3w. but the banner is still there. i tried a few times and restart on my own. but nothing happened. can anybody help me? where is the mistake?

thanks

ernie0012
ernie0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #159
serge_levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie0012 View Post
i have a new kindle 3 special offer and tried to install the 0.5.1.k3w. where is the mistake?
Mistake is that you treat Jailbreak as tool to remove ads. But the JB itself is not intented to remove ads from KSO. It is only a supplementary tool, prerequisite to install other custom software also known as hacks onto you Kindle.

The screensaver hack might help you to remove ads, but the both ss hacks I know - NiLuJe's and Sir Alex's do not remove ads and as far as I understand their authors' ideas will never support the ability to remove ads.

WBR
Serge A. Levin
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #160
Simca
Simca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 with Special Offers
Still having the same error as before when installing the new Jailbreak - "U006".

I cannot find any information on this error throughout the web. If anyone knows something that could help, I'd be forever grateful.
Simca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #161
serge_levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Still having the same error as before when installing the new Jailbreak - "U006".
AFAIMC the only way to receive U006 is to have your Kindle already jail-broken
Can you install some custom updates other than jailbreak?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #162
wishmaster.dj
wishmaster.dj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
hey all,

1. is there a sure shot reversible way to disable ADs in KSO?

2. is the JB process also reversible? <in case of warranty claim>

Thanks!
wishmaster.dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #163
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Question Automatic firmware updates

@yifanlu: Couple of questions: Does having jailbreak-ed 3.2.1 (and SS hack,and USBNetworking) Kindle prevent/disable future automatic firmare update? And/or what's needed to be done before manually applying future official update? If answer to the first question is no (aka jailbreaked Kindle may/can be auto-updated by Whispernet/Amazon),what happens if it does so before user had chance to uninstall jailbreak and other hacks?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #164
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Well, there's nothing preventing your kindle from updating unless you used a hack that modified system files.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #165
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I have no idea what files are modified after installing your jailbreak, latesr screensaver hack and usbNetworking
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote