Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Playfair, John: Illustrations of the Huttonian Theory of the Earth, v1.4, 30 Aug 2010

This book, 'Illustrations...' first published in 1802 by John Playfair is one of the important books in the history of the sciences because it popularized and provided strong evidence for several hypotheses about earth processes that had been proposed by James Hutton in 1788 in his obscurely written but very significant book 'Theory of the Earth'. As far as I know the only reprints of the book are facsimiles that are difficult to read because of the ligatures and long s type.

I don't know if there is any interest in the history of sciences in MobilRead, but I decided to submit it anyway because it provides a bit of diversity, and I'm sure there are a wide variety of users involved in the forum.
Bob

v.1.1 Corrected errors in formatting section numbers.
v.1.2 Corrected numerous OCR errors, added title page, slightly changed formatting and info about the book/author.
v.1.3 Corrected minor formatting mistake
v. 1.4 Corrected minor errors, added href TOC and footnotes.

(There were 217 views before v. 1.2 was submitted.)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Illustrations of the Huttonian Theory of the Earth.epub (2.13 MB, 689 views)

Last edited by bobcdy; 08-30-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added href hotlinks for internal book TOC and for footnotes, corrected a few errors.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today I posted v. 1.3 of John Playfairs 'Illustrations of the Huttonian Theory of the Earth' with numerous corrections for OCR mistakes, a new titlepage, and a few formatting changes.
Bob
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Since no-one else has, can I offer my thanks for putting up this vitally important and sadly overlooked book...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I didn't notice when this book was first posted, but may I add my thanks for posting it. It is indeed a seminal work in the history of science.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
bobcdy
Fanatic

Thanks HarryT and Kiwikobo! I just receive an email with your posts so I didn't know about them until yesterday. I hope eventually to post most of the significant history of geological sciences works here, at least those in pubic domain, and also will send them eventually to internet archive.
Bob
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic

In v. 1.4 I added internal href hotlinks for TOC and footnotes, corrected a few errors in the footnotes, and checked epub validation.
Bob
Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
boekarest
Enthusiast
boekarest began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many thanks for this!!
boekarest is offline   Reply With Quote