Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
iPad vs Sony Reader

I am a long time fan of eInk and I was wondering: what does the casual user think of the difference between what the iPad offers in terms of quality of display compared to a good eInk display for good old plain eBooks?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i would think the "casual user" wouldn't care what they were staring at. it's the zealots who have a preference for one or the other.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I am a long time fan of eInk and I was wondering: what does the casual user think of the difference between what the iPad offers in terms of quality of display compared to a good eInk display for good old plain eBooks?
Right now, ADE on the Sony Reader is way better then the ePub readers on the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Right now, ADE on the Sony Reader is way better then the ePub readers on the iPad.
that is your opinion, as someone who does not even own an ipad.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't like what you called it.

Reading on the iPad is many orders of magnitude better FOR ME than on the 505 eInk screen. I was never happy with eInk and would have happily read on my EBW1150 forever if it had not become too obsolete to get content.

My eyes would become strained very quickly with the gray-on-gray 505 display. To be honest, I did not really read very many books in the 1 1/2 yrs I had it. I had multiple eye surgeries during that period, and it was too hard to see.

With my iPad, it is a clear white background with crisp black or colored text. With the backlighting that I enjoyed so much with the 1150. I spent several hours yesterday just reading, something that I have not done in a couple of years. I had no eye strain whatsoever.

I am reading my way through the Hugo nominees, and some of the free downloads were in ePub and some were in PDF. I can zoom the PDF's to a comfortable level, but prefer the ePubs in iBooks because I can adjust the text to 1.5 line spacing and jumbo sans serif font.

If you are happy with your eInk, then by all means, don't drop the $500 for an iPad. I was never happy with it, and am glad to have a device that I can enjoy reading on again.

BTW, my 505 and lightwedge case is for sale for $250, if anyone is interested.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

it was clear from the topic that the OP was simply trolling..

there has been no proof that one or the other is easier to read or causes less strain on the eyes, it's all personal preference. anyone on their soapbox shouting that one or the other is "better" is blowing smoke.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
that is your opinion, as someone who does not even own an ipad.
He's entitled to his opinion same as you. And you don't have to own a device to know what features are available thereon. I think you iPadophiles need to stop wearing your feelings on your sleeves.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

actually i do think you need to actually own, or have at least used a device for a few days, before you can really comment on its abilities. at least i know what i'm talking about as i have an ipad sitting in my hands.

i've never eaten a ham sandwich on the moon but i think it's a wonderful experience.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
it was clear from the topic that the OP was simply trolling..

there has been no proof that one or the other is easier to read or causes less strain on the eyes, it's all personal preference. anyone on their soapbox shouting that one or the other is "better" is blowing smoke.

You obviously like the Ipad from your numerous posts. Why claim a troll when some of your opinions are very strong indeed. In fact why post in the thread at all. Let it go...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
I'm selling my bebook in favour of the coming ipad on ebay.
I already enjoy reading on the iphone more than reading with e-ink.
But that's just me.
have fun
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
iTampon ! waaaahahahahahaha
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I sold my Reader because I got tired of having to position a bright light on the reader screen to comfortably read it. I also found that I was doing the bulk of my reading on the iPhone using Stanza.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Sounds like Apple is your way. Hope it suits you. Will you buy an Ipad?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
I have a Kindle 1 and have read a good bit on my girlfriend's iPad.

I'd call myself a casual user as I'm not an avid reader or die hard e-ink fan. I seldom read for more than one hour straight etc.

I prefer the iPad to the Kindle. I tend to read in dimmer lighting, so the backlight turned down to the appropriate level works well. I prefer the larger screen as I can make the text bigger and still have a ton more words per page. And I love not having the slow page turns and flash of e-ink.

I'll eventually get the iPad or some other tablet and use that as my main reading device. Though the tablet will get used more for internet, video, newspaper apps etc. than novel reading.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for editing the thread title.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote