Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Raoul Applefish
Raoul Applefish began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Question Opus PID?

Hi,

I discovered this community some weeks ago when I tried to decide wich reader I should buy. I finally decided to go with the nice little Opus. I love it.

But…

Lots of books I would like to read don't exist in epub/suitable format, but I foolishly thought I would be easy to convert them…

So yesterday I bought a book in prc format and I am stuck, because I have to remove the DRM (it's legal here for personal use) before making the format conversion.

I try to use the python script mobidedrm0.5, but I don't know how to find the Opus PID…

How can I find it?

Please excuse my english, and thanks in advance for your time and your help
Raoul Applefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only MobiPocket devices have a PID. The Opus does not support MobiPocket, therefore it does not have a PID. QED.

Download and install the Windows desktop version of the MobiPocket Reader, register the PID for that with the bookstore, and use that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Raoul Applefish

Thanks for your help Harry,

The store didn't ask me anything about a PID when I purchased the book

I have a mac, and I just discovered the lack of mobipocket reader for mac

First and last mobi book that I buy…
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some ebook stores (I'm told) don't ask for a PID, but get Mobipocket Reader to re-encode the book after download. I'd try for a refund if you didn't get a warning that Mobipocket Reader or Windows was required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Applefish View Post
Thanks for your help Harry,

The store didn't ask me anything about a PID when I purchased the book

I have a mac, and I just discovered the lack of mobipocket reader for mac

First and last mobi book that I buy…
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
1. Are you sure the book is DRMed?

2. If it is, I understand that to encode the book so particular device can read it, they need to encode it with PID of this device. Since you didn't get asked about the PID, it might be as pdurrant says, that they send you the unencoded book, and Mobipocket Reader encodes it on your computer. But it also needs the PID to encode it.

So:
- if you can read it in Mobipocket Reader, maybe you can get the information about its PID off it? or
- maybe you can give it a PID, any PID, and get it to re-encode the book with it? Then you'll know which PID it's encoded with, and can run the script.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
elmargol
Enthusiast
elmargol began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
You need the Mobibocket Desktop software. Virtualbox or Bootcamp is your friend
elmargol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you are going to remove the DRM, you don't need an actual Mobipocket device - you just need the book to be encoded for a known PID.

Which bookstore did you buy the book from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
If you only want to run MobiPocket desktop, I wouldn't recommand such a tool like VMWare Fusion or Parallele desktop, but CrossOver, it doesn't need a Windows licence. But all of the three software require an Intel Macintosh..
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
Raoul Applefish

Thank you all for your advices, it seems like a nice community

I bought the book at numilog, and didn't notice the "what are your PID" field on the form.

But I am pretty sure the book is DRMed, otherwise I could open it and convert to another format easily, right?

I am the worst case possible as I don't even have an intel mac ahah…

I'll try to ask a friend to install Mobipocket Reader on a PC and give me the PID, then redownload the book, and retry…

What a @ª†º¬å∑∂ just to read a 10€ book , that I legally bought, on my own device. What are they thinking…? They treat their customer as thieves anyway, I would better just get an illegal pirate version

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it went…
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
rlozier
rlozier began at the beginning.

Device: (2) Palm TX PDA's, Cybook Gen, Opus, Nook & Pandigital Novel.
If the Bookeen Opus doesn't support Mobipocket files that's news to me. That was the big holdup on the last firmware upgrade. You make a choice either to run EPub or Mobi, it's takes just long enough for me to drag the proper file from it's folder on my micro card and reinsert the card and make the upgrade. Done it many times on my Cybook and I have (2) dedicated SD cards for it, very easy to switch back and forth, since you can't use both formats on the device at the same time.
rlozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mobipocket firmware shows PID in the "about" section if I remember right.

An other idea : get the pid from desktop mobipocket, get book, de-drm, read book

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-13-2010 at 11:54 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlozier View Post
If the Bookeen Opus doesn't support Mobipocket files that's news to me. That was the big holdup on the last firmware upgrade. You make a choice either to run EPub or Mobi, it's takes just long enough for me to drag the proper file from it's folder on my micro card and reinsert the card and make the upgrade. Done it many times on my Cybook and I have (2) dedicated SD cards for it, very easy to switch back and forth, since you can't use both formats on the device at the same time.
Be carreful about changin again, and again and again the firmware of your device or you are likely to kill the NAND Flash
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlozier View Post
It is still that way: 2 sets of firmwares. Mobipocket and ePUB still can't be within the same firmware because of legal aspects. I don't switch back and forth, but I've decided which format on which of my Cybooks (1 x old Opus, 1 x new Opus, 1 x Gen3).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
rlozier
rlozier began at the beginning.

Device: (2) Palm TX PDA's, Cybook Gen, Opus, Nook & Pandigital Novel.
Right, needed to clear up the misleading statement that the Opus doesn't support Mobipocket. Bookeen worked hard to make that happen.
rlozier is offline   Reply With Quote