Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Interesting copyright question

I was reading something in Wikipedia the other day about the wife of former US president Ulysses S. Grant. Apparently, she died in 1902 but her personal memoirs were not discovered and published until 1975. So how would copyright on such a work operate? If you go 'life of the author plus x years' then it would be public domain almost from the moment of publication---1975 was already past life plus 50, and now we're well over life plus 100 years. But it was not published until 1975. So does the 'copyright clock' start there? If so, are there separate rules for this kind of situation to prevent the works from being tied up for centuries after the author is already deceased?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For works published posthumously between 1922 and 1978 in the USA, the copyright term is 95 years from the date of publication.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
life of author+70, or 95 years from publication, whichever is sooner. since life of author+70 occurred before it was published, there wouldn't be an active copyright.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I asked the same here. It looks far from easy

If the publication + 50 years applies in the UK and EU, that gives 2025.

If what I wrote in post #17 in that thread is valid in Canada, that gives 1980.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I was reading something in Wikipedia the other day about the wife of former US president Ulysses S. Grant. Apparently, she died in 1902 but her personal memoirs were not discovered and published until 1975. So how would copyright on such a work operate? If you go 'life of the author plus x years' then it would be public domain almost from the moment of publication---1975 was already past life plus 50, and now we're well over life plus 100 years. But it was not published until 1975. So does the 'copyright clock' start there? If so, are there separate rules for this kind of situation to prevent the works from being tied up for centuries after the author is already deceased?
Rule of thumb: if it's worth a penny, it's copyrighted. Usually by someone totally unrelated to the author.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I have a similar rule of thumb:

Figure out what scenario is financially beneficial to a large corporation, and that's probably what copyright law says (since they're the ones that wrote it).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I have a similar rule of thumb:

Figure out what scenario is financially beneficial to a large corporation, and that's probably what copyright law says (since they're the ones that wrote it).
That would be copyrights never expiring, and public domain doesn't exist at all.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That would be copyrights never expiring, and public domain doesn't exist at all.
That pretty much describes the current scenario, yes.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That pretty much describes the current scenario, yes.
agreed, the "...for limited times..." in the constitution?? huh?? what is that?? oh, nevermind, its just the constitution...
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Okay, so how about this one?

(a) I discover, in my grandpa's basement, an old diary written by (let's say) my great-great grandfather, who has been long dead these last hundred years. I publish it. Copyrighted? I am guessing no.

(b) Same scenario, but great-great grandpa was famous and I want to make money. So I publish, but muck up the whole thing with my own footnotes, commentary and introduction. Is the whole thing now under copyright? Or could someone theoretically edit out all the parts I added until only the parts written by great-great grandpa was left, and put that on Google Books, worry-free?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
agreed, the "...for limited times..." in the constitution?? huh?? what is that?? oh, nevermind, its just the constitution...
The limited times that keep getting extended.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
People are actually starting to challenge the current trend toward continuing copyright extension on constitutional grounds because regular extensions do make a mockery of the concept of limited terms and the public domain.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
The limited times that keep getting extended.

- Ahi
Technically, "life + 1,000,000" is still limited.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:

(a) I discover, in my grandpa's basement, an old diary written by (let's say) my great-great grandfather, who has been long dead these last hundred years. I publish it. Copyrighted? I am guessing no.
Yep! As long as it was never published, it attracts copyright.

And your (b) would attract a seperate term of copyright, if published later.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

(b) Same scenario, but great-great grandpa was famous and I want to make money. So I publish, but muck up the whole thing with my own footnotes, commentary and introduction. Is the whole thing now under copyright? Or could someone theoretically edit out all the parts I added until only the parts written by great-great grandpa was left, and put that on Google Books, worry-free?
You are wrong in the first case. The copyright starts on the year of publication.

There is a reason why unpublished works have a copyright if published posthumously, and that reason is to provide a financial incentive. Without it, would anyone put in the editing work needed to publish an old journal or collection of letters?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote