Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #166
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe it has to do with Vista being awful?
In what way?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #167
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Maybe it has to do with the lack of quality in thumbnails in LRF's?
Exactly the problem, thanks AH. All lrx and lrf book thumbnails are blurry while all ePub and pdf thumbnails look pretty clear.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #168
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Unhappy EBL 3.0 Not working on MAC

Guys: I hope Im not the only one but I cant seem to have EBL to run in my system (Leopard 10.5.8). Whenever I try to run it by clicking the icon, it just stays in the dock and that's that.
I tried to run it within a terminal but it seems it get stucked when loading a library called FskUtilsInstallOpenFileHandler.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mimoviz; 08-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #169
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimoviz View Post
Guys: I hope Im not the only one but I cant seem to have EBL to run in my system (Leopard 10.5.8). Whenever I try to run it by clicking the icon, it just stays in the dock and that's that.
I tried to run it within a terminal but it seems it get stucked when loading a library called FskUtilsInstallOpenFileHandler.

Any ideas?
I'm sad to say you are not alone. I have exactly the the same problem. was on the phone with tech support for over 1 hour and 30 mins. International call!!!!
they've escalated my problem 2 times to no avail. each time someone remotely linked to my computer to see if they can fix it..in the end, they escalated the problem again and said they will get back to me.
so far spoke to 3 different technical support, one from india (I think), 2 from US....
If they get it fixed I will post here what needs to be done...

Last edited by lev; 08-26-2009 at 02:08 PM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #170
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dura74 View Post
Hello, I have the same problem on my mac 10.5.8

Waiting for sony to fix the software....
Wild guess, but if it is running without a window, have you tried <ALT> <CMD> <n> which opens a new window in many apps?

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #171
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
Well, I tried it on my xp sp3 machine and it just locks up. I was able to add my library and then view it. I tried to open a book and it just froze. It finally lets loose and goes back to the library listings.
My Vista install was similar. It settled down after a while and is working fine now. I assume it was doing some sort of db conversion in the background.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #172
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
OMG that sounds like heaven. You've just given me a great reason to install the software.

Did you need your ADE ID or anything?
It does ask you to authorized your computer - at least it did on the computer that did not have ADE already installed. I plugged in my Adobe ID and Password and bang, it was authorized.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #173
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Installed Sony eBook Library 3.0.00.08240_MAC on my G3 Mac running last version of OS X Tiger. The application opens, shows a series of menus. Nothing else. No window(s), nothing. Menus appear not to work - except for quit.
Any other reports?
Speculation: I have calibre installed. could calibre be interfering?
I had the same problem until I changed the country code to one of the supported one. There is a script file "/Library/eBookLibrary/OpenURL.sh" which need to run and will run only when the system is set to a supported country.

You can change it back later.

But still Sony just can't get the software right. Idiots.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #174
Dura74
Dura74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I had the same problem until I changed the country code to one of the supported one. There is a script file "/Library/eBookLibrary/OpenURL.sh" which need to run and will run only when the system is set to a supported country.

You can change it back later.

But still Sony just can't get the software right. Idiots.

and how I can set the correct country?

thanks
Dura74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #175
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dura74 View Post
and how I can set the correct country?

thanks
You click the icon with the silver gears. The you choose the icon with the united nations flag. On the 2nd page you choose one of the supported countries mentioned on page 1. I used germany.

Once you rebooted and started the library manager once for testing you change the country back to what is was.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #176
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
My Vista install was similar. It settled down after a while and is working fine now. I assume it was doing some sort of db conversion in the background.
Thanks for the information. When I have the energy to fight with it again, I'll reinstall So far it works great on both os x tiger and leopard. That machine is a 1.25 ghz ppc with a gig of ram little mini.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #177
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thumbs down Sony's fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I'm sad to say you are not alone. I have exactly the the same problem. was on the phone with tech support for over 1 hour and 30 mins. International call!!!!
they've escalated my problem 2 times to no avail. each time someone remotely linked to my computer to see if they can fix it..in the end, they escalated the problem again and said they will get back to me.
so far spoke to 3 different technical support, one from india (I think), 2 from US....
If they get it fixed I will post here what needs to be done...
This is definitely a proof of how bad can a company be with its customers. I am really dissapointed. All this time waiting just for a piece of software that does not work (probably made by just one guy) and with no hope for a solution in the near future.

BTW: THis is the full log of messages that comes from the software whenever is run in leopard:

~ > /Applications/eBookLibrary.app/Contents/MacOS/eBookLibrary ; exit;
0.000001 (1.269872) main: FskUtilsInstallOpenFileHandler
MacInterfacesChangedCallback
MacInterfacesChangedCallback
logout
Maybe it can illustrate the problem more
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #178
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have to say, I'll cry if my books aren't fully justified.
The same goes for me. I could probably live with the odd page numbers (not so sure about the numbers on the side) if the text was justified. I just finished a most excellent Star Trek book Losing the Peace by William Leisner but the experience was marred by the horrid left justification and wide margin at the bottom & sides. Those pesky side numbers didn't help either.

I may just revert to buying my Trek books at Sony in LRF (as long as it's available) just to avoid the justification headache.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #179
Dura74
Dura74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
You click the icon with the silver gears. The you choose the icon with the united nations flag. On the 2nd page you choose one of the supported countries mentioned on page 1. I used germany.

Once you rebooted and started the library manager once for testing you change the country back to what is was.

Martin

Now works, but I can't purchase ebook because in Italy the Sony reader is not market and so I cannot add credit card information...

I had to wait Sony decide to open the shop to italian market... I think never...
Dura74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #180
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I downloaded the software and installed it with no problems. Runs nicely. The icons initially appear a bit fuzzy but as soon as you move the page, the are sharp again.
I haven't registered my Sony yet with it as I'm not sure whether you need your adobe password and in any case I generally use Calibre.
It was interesting to see when your read a book in the new software that you get a few more magnification levels than appear on the reader (PRS505).
As far as I can tell it seems to work quite nicely.
imac and OSX 10.5.8

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote