Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Question Preserving Formatting through conversion?

There may be a thread on this already but I couldn't find one, so here it is. I have downloaded a book that is only available in PDF, so far as I could find anyway. So I went and converted it to epub through calibre. The formatting is entirely messed up, for example all of the words with two l's in it have lost one of them (call is now cal), and all of the dialog between characters has just become one paragraph. So basically my question is there a way to preserve the formatting through conversion without having to go through the file manually and fix it?
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Hi Ham88,

Indeed, it's a strange behavior. Calibre usually gives very good results (in lrf conversion which is the format I use). Maybe your pdf source is not a "normal" text based file.
My only suggestion (I'm pretty sure other expereienced members will give you more) would be to give another try with the following online converter:
http://www.lib2go.com/

I have tested for lrfs and it gives fair results.
Good luck!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Lib2go hates my files, as it claims they are too big and I noticed something else its based on calibre so I would get the same results anyway, so any other ideas?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
How about running it through soPDF first, and then letting Calibre tackle it?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Ham88
Zealot

I just looked up soPDF, I may be wrong but it appears to be a command line driven which is something I avoid because I'm incompetent with the lovely command line. But I'm currently using PDFread and am hoping this will yield the results that I want. The only problem is that this requires me to be patient, something that I lack. If this doesn't work I'll try soPDF and hope for the, best thanks for the help so far.
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I wrote a barebones GUI for SoPDF. If you go further down in the SoPDF thread, you'll find discussion of it, and a download link.

I'm not sure SoPDF tool is the right tool here, however. PDFread is a good one to try. Even though you're not using a Sony, running PDFLRF on it, and then running that through calibre may give you a good result too.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have the same problem when using Calibre to convert PDFs: all the paragraph breaks are lost, and I end up with one long long text file. I have yet to find a good PDF to LRF or PDF to ePUB converter.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Ham88
Zealot

All of the things I have tried has failed, soPDF worsened the problem as the eventual epub file was only one or two words per line on average. I think I'm going to have to read this book as a PDF on my PC unfortunately. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre is an excellent program, but PDF conversion is not one of its strengths. Try "Book Designer" - it converts PDFs as well as anything I've come across.

Unfortunately, however, PDF files sometimes simply cannot be converted well. A PDF files does not contain "text" - it has no paragraphs, lines, words, etc; just drawing instructions for individual letters. As such, it is extraordinarily difficult to convert.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

My advice is to OCR the PDF file, save the result in a format you will be able to edit (per example Microsoft word), proof read it and correct the errors found, create final eBook in ePub or other form your reader can handle.

Two of the best software applications for OCR are, Finereader and Omnipage.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

My advice is to OCR the PDF file, save the result in a format you will be able to edit (per example Microsoft word), proof read it and correct the errors found, create final eBook in ePub or other form your reader can handle.
I don't think that falls under the category of "Preserving format through conversion" "without having to go through the file manually and fix it", which is what was asked for.

I continue to maintain that PDFread and/or PDRLRF>Calibre are the best ways to go to preserve the look of the original PDF, while formatting better for an e-ink device.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Frabjous

You are perfectly correct, I missed that the final intent from Ham88 was to:
“(…)to preserve the formatting through conversion without having to go through the file manually and fix it?”

Ham88

Rephrasing, the answer to the question (cited above) you have posed is: no!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no such thing as a novel length PDF that will convert from PDF to any other format without errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
frabjous
Wizard

The tools I suggested convert the PDF pages to images, but then remove the margins and cut up the images into manageable chunks, and also change the file format--not that matters much if it's just a sequence of images. I'm not sure what you have in mind by "errors", but they should preserve the look more or less exactly, and there would be nothing to manually fix. The only question is whether the results would look nice enough for the purposes of reading.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The tools I suggested convert the PDF pages to images, but then remove the margins and cut up the images into manageable chunks, and also change the file format--not that matters much if it's just a sequence of images. I'm not sure what you have in mind by "errors", but they should preserve the look more or less exactly, and there would be nothing to manually fix. The only question is whether the results would look nice enough for the purposes of reading.
I was meaning converting the PDF to some reflowable format and not actually images. It cannot be done without error.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, pdf