Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurtz View Post
So every device gets the update except the people who bought the PW3? Great support Amazon...

Edit: It's hidden but it's there.
It's not hidden, they "just" f*cked-up the hyperlink:
Instead of:
Quote:
xttp://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201756220
Should be:

Quote:
xttp://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201756220
Bookerly looks less-awful-than-Caecilia/almost-readable on my PW1. But I'll have to try modifying the line spacing to give it a real tryout.

Last edited by shamanNS; 08-10-2015 at 01:32 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I still like my embedded font (on side loaded books) better, but it's nice to see that bookerly works on side loaded books, too. I believe some people had said it wouldn't.
Nope. Some people said they'd heard it wouldn't, but Bookerly has worked with all books on all devices it's been available on. It's just a font, like any other, after all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
They've just updated the Software Updates page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680 and PW3 is listed as "Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)"
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Vroo: But the link on that page is not valid? At least on my end, when I click it it opens Sign In page, alter that it goes to "Contact Us" page.

The correct link for fw 5.6.5 for PW300dpi is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201756220
Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I don't understand the fuss about Bookerly, it's too light for me. I can't use it on either the Fires or my Voyage.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Vroo: But the link on that page is not valid? At least on my end, when I click it it opens Sign In page, alter that it goes to "Contact Us" page.

The correct link for fw 5.6.5 for PW300dpi is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201756220
Thank you. I was also taken to the Contact Us page. Updating my PW3 now.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #22
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't understand the fuss about Bookerly, it's too light for me. I can't use it on either the Fires or my Voyage.
When I first looked at the Bookerly font it looked to light to me too. But now that I have been reading with it for an hour or so I have to say I really like it. It does not stress my eyes at all, and after reading an hour my eyes feel more like if I had not read at all.

I have also noticed that the screen on my PW2 seems to be more uniform in color. I keep my light at 10 and before the update I had always noticed a very small dark spot or two at the bottom of the screen. I am not seeing them any more and it also seems that the last line of text on the screen is closer to the bottom of the screen. And as I said earlier I am not seeing as much wide spacing as before. So yes I am really liking this new firmware.

Last edited by cvkemp; 08-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
They've just updated the Software Updates page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680 and PW3 is listed as "Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)"

The link works great on my end.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #24
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Excellent update i think. Looks great.

Since this is a close to perfect device for reading books, making real improvements is very impressive.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
shamanNS
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The link works great on my end.
The link to "Fire & Kindle Software Updates" is correct, yes. But the hyperlink on that page "Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)" that should send you to page where you can find link to download bin files does not work. If you look carefully at the address/URL you will see pattern "gp/help/customer/display.html" repeated twice , the link is invalid, if you cut the duplicate text from it you get working link that opens correct page.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Will jailbreak be possible with this new update? as i didnt jailbreak before first update....
Extremely doubtful. Nothing has changed on our end, so unless Amazon has decided to make it easier...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #27
BobDyl
BobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it isBobDyl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Voyage
A vast improvement.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm with you on this, Caecelia is still a better font to me, it's a bit darker and thicker than Bookerly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #29
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I've updated my kindle. Most of my ebooks have enhanced typesetting: on according to amazon, but I don't see any hyphenation, and if I increase the font size it doesn't switch to ragged right either. What's the deal?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I've updated my kindle. Most of my ebooks have enhanced typesetting: on according to amazon, but I don't see any hyphenation, and if I increase the font size it doesn't switch to ragged right either. What's the deal?
You have to delete the books off the kindle and re-download. At least that is what I had to do with 2 I tried. I don't know about ragged right though, I wouldn't like that anyway. It has hyphenation now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote