Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Setcpu and the PE

I know the PE's CPU is software limited to a speed significantly lower than it's rated speed. Most of what I've seen mentions 1Ghz but some promotional pdf (from Marvell I believe) mentions up to a projected 1.2 Ghz. The latest version of Setcpu using the arm choice only goes up to 800mhz on the max setting. Anyone know if there is a way to edit this setting? Either in setcpu or in the PE.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
800mhz is the factory clock, I'm pretty sure SetCPU doesn't support our processor(it has to have specific code for each, and ours isn't all that popular in devices these days). Also, there are many reasons why ours would be underclocked from factory, including heat and the fact that these processors could have been gotten cheaper if they had defects that prevented them from running at the full clock speed without problems. Given how many other corners entourage cut I would not be surprised if the processors were not top of the line.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
800mhz is the factory clock, I'm pretty sure SetCPU doesn't support our processor(it has to have specific code for each, and ours isn't all that popular in devices these days). Also, there are many reasons why ours would be underclocked from factory, including heat and the fact that these processors could have been gotten cheaper if they had defects that prevented them from running at the full clock speed without problems. Given how many other corners entourage cut I would not be surprised if the processors were not top of the line.
Your last sentence is very true - all processor manufacturers try and maximise yield by checking each chip and giving it a speed rating. Those that work at a lower speed are sold at lower prices. The trouble only begins when someone tries to run them at spec speed - then the glitches show up.

There was the fanfare not so long ago when someone found that AMD were selling 4 core chips as 3 core processors - a way of activating that odd core was found and the groupies were ecstatic until programs didn't run quite as they should. That sort of thing is OK for games where the odd glitch doesn't matter but if you want to do any serious work read that which is on the label and stick to it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Just to pile on the "not interested in overclocking" train, I also don't fully understand the rationale behind it. The eDGe will never be a game machine because it lacks multitouch. Plus, the game problems clearly have nothing to do with the processor speed. I have an Optimus V that runs 200mhz slower but plays most games just fine. The processor clearly lacks some video capabilities (or, alternatively, the drivers suck, which is always a possibility).

When it comes to its intended function, the eDGe is surprisingly snappy and performs well. So why even mess with it?
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
There was the fanfare not so long ago when someone found that AMD were selling 4 core chips as 3 core processors - a way of activating that odd core was found and the groupies were ecstatic until programs didn't run quite as they should. That sort of thing is OK for games where the odd glitch doesn't matter but if you want to do any serious work read that which is on the label and stick to it.
I actually use one of those tri-cores, and have the mobo that can enable the last one, though I haven't done it yet, as the difference between three and four cores in non-multithreaded applications(which makes up ~90% of the ones I use) is essentially nothing.

And as kennyminot said, 200MHz extra isn't going to change much of anything, its the GPU that's the bottleneck here.
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yea I hear you - more curiosity than any solid need to overclock. But I was also interested in underclocking to see if that would do anything for battery life. Hence the interest in where the CPU clock setting is done. As far as the GPU is concerned - are there other devices that use this chip and how is their performance?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
Yea I hear you - more curiosity than any solid need to overclock. But I was also interested in underclocking to see if that would do anything for battery life. Hence the interest in where the CPU clock setting is done. As far as the GPU is concerned - are there other devices that use this chip and how is their performance?
Underclocking more than it already is probably wont get you much extra battery life, if any. Also, you would still need them to port their app to our processor. I think vicinc found a few devices with the same chip, but there aren't many... I don't know if they have any better performance, but I would assume not.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
If someone comes up with a recovery mode for the PE, I'm more interested in adding steps to the CPU timings and putting in a conservative clock governor. This has helped me more than anything else on my other droids (aside from obvious things like screen brightness and turning off antennae).
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
agreed. the main think is to get a recovery mode. I am frustrating that can not restore with the 3 fingers method. rubbish. an idiotic manufacturer not to enable recovery. shame as the device has potential and great community.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
bunodosoma, you could always try a manual kernel tweak. You would need to install a custom kernel anyway to over/underclock with something like SetCPU. Unfortunately as there's no recovery mode and the device is no longer made I'm not feeling very motivated to screw around with tweaking it. :P

I think I may start a thread about why recovery mode is awesome and required for development and end users, since I think some folks who are interested in getting the most out of their devices might not get it. Hopefully someone can come up with a recovery solution, which is step zero in getting anything real done. Plus vic wouldn't have bricked his device. :P
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

I ran across this "The PXA168 has average power consumption of 200-300mW and close to a Watt when running at full tilt" So I think you are spot on with concerns about heat and battery life. The point about bricking the device is a very good one. A straight forward recovery mode would make any tinkering less stressful. Since this is an orphan device it would be nice if any of the original development team would stick an oar in the water to help smooth out some of the rough edges.