Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Your Annotation Strategy...?

Would like to know your annotation strategy.

Currently, every ebook reader and software seems to have its own annotation format, and EPUB doesn't have a defined format, yet.

How are you working to ensure your annotations are still accessible years from now?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I don't care whether or not my annotations are accessible years from now. I use annotation to mark the errors in the books that I'm currently proof-reading. I then correct the errors, and have no more need for the annotations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I use a highly durable method: pen and paper. I keep a folded sheet of paper and ballpen with my ebook reader, and for every book I read I note whatever looks weird to me (unknown words, OCR errors, wrong punctuation, missing formatting). Every few days I bring the paper to the computer and do what's needed: if it's a book I have created, I make the corrections; if it's a book created by someone else, I add the corrections to a text file, which I sent to the creator when the book is finished (in every case, I try to compare with scans of printed editions available online). Once the paper is full (which takes some time, because my writing is rather small, and I can be very succint), I just throw it away.

But I would like a reader with some annotation support.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I use my annotation and highlighting functionality the same way as Harry does. I note errors, go back to the source, correct the errors and remove the highlights/annotations/bookmarks.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I tend to use the annotations/highlighting feature when reading non-fiction. The Kindle stores them all in a text file, and I copy the text file onto my computer. Usually, it'll be edited and/or renamed, but once it's on my computer, it gets included in my regular backups.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
The Kindle stores them all in a text file, and I copy the text file onto my computer. Usually, it'll be edited and/or renamed, but once it's on my computer, it gets included in my regular backups.
This is what I do too. I copy the clippings txt file from the Kindle onto my computer - do any editing that I want, save and copy it back.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
An addon question:

What was your annotation strategy before ebooks?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
This is what I do too. I copy the clippings txt file from the Kindle onto my computer - do any editing that I want, save and copy it back.
I don't copy it back onto the Kindle. As far as I can tell, the Kindle keeps a copy elsewhere - the text file is just so that the user can access notes easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
An addon question:

I'd make notes anywhere I could (scrap of paper, mobile phone), then copy them onto my computer when I had the chance.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is one of the reasons i perfer the mobi format, because of the standardized annitations. I usally backup the mdp files when i want to save my annitations.

Now with Repligo PDF reader things have gotten better because my annotations are stored in the PDF and easily reviewed.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
An addon question:

Highlighters and pencils.

P.S. My annotations are usually not for editing.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
loyukfai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This is one of the reasons i perfer the mobi format, because of the standardized annitations. I usally backup the mdp files when i want to save my annitations.

Now with Repligo PDF reader things have gotten better because my annotations are stored in the PDF and easily reviewed.
Is there any MOBI reader for Android that can handle the annotations? So that I can just sync the MOBI/MBP files?

Tried several apps (Aldiko, Laputa, FBReader...) and think Moon+ has the best annotation support. However the annotations are not transferable to the desktop.

Still trying to look for a good combination...

Cheers.

Reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127916

Last edited by loyukfai; 04-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
On my books that I read for pleasure - I do not and never did annotate anything. Occasionally on a printed book I would dog-ear a favorite page. I can just bookmark favorites on my ebooks.

For books that I have read for school - I would normally highlight special passages or add small notes in the margins. For my current school projects, I have no annotation strategy other than printing out articles that I need to reference. The occasional books that I've needed for studies I've ordered as print versions.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Mine is very simple - I don't. I never marked paper books, so I don't see the need to do so with digital books. I just read them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I only annotate printed material. So... that really doesn't help you much. Sorry.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
Is there any MOBI reader for Android that can handle the annotations? So that I can just sync the MOBI/MBP files?
Tried several apps (Aldiko, Laputa, FBReader...) and think Moon+ has the best annotation support. However the annotations are not transferable to the desktop.
Still trying to look for a good combination...
Cheers.
Reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127916
Yes the only one that exist with full annotation support is the kindle app.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote