Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Aluluei
Aluluei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Trying to consolidate my ebook collection

I've been reading ebooks for a long time on a bunch of different platforms. My husband cannot sleep if there is a light on, even an itty bitty book light, but the backlight on my Palm Pilot Professional didn't bother him so I started reading books on that. Since then I've collected several thousand ebooks from a wide range of sources, in a bunch of different formats, and read them on many different platforms. For the past couple of years I've mostly bought books from fictionwise and read them in Mobipocket on a Windows Mobile phone. Unfortunately fictionwise seems to be dying, with authors/publishers disappearing from their catalog every day. So last week I got a Kindle. I've been trying to convert my non-drm'd ebooks into Kindle format, and the forums on Mobileread have been very helpful.

Elizabeth
Aluluei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Welcome to Mobile Read Elizabeth,

I see you already know how helpful the site can be, and the mix of forums which offer help and advice from Sagely people who hang around here,

Keep exploring, enjoy, ask any questions, and come back often,

We look forward to getting to know you,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluluei View Post
I've been reading ebooks for a long time on a bunch of different platforms. My husband cannot sleep if there is a light on, even an itty bitty book light, but the backlight on my Palm Pilot Professional didn't bother him so I started reading books on that. Since then I've collected several thousand ebooks from a wide range of sources, in a bunch of different formats, and read them on many different platforms. For the past couple of years I've mostly bought books from fictionwise and read them in Mobipocket on a Windows Mobile phone. Unfortunately fictionwise seems to be dying, with authors/publishers disappearing from their catalog every day. So last week I got a Kindle. I've been trying to convert my non-drm'd ebooks into Kindle format, and the forums on Mobileread have been very helpful.

Elizabeth
Welcome to Mobileread. If you're trying to consolodate your ebooks into a single library, I don't think you could do better than to use calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. Yes, Calibre is the thing: free and good ebookmanagement.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Elizabeth. I too would recommend the free and superb Calibre library software to organise what you have and what you'll get in the future. It's free (or by voluntary donation) here: http://www.calibre-ebook.com. Happy Kindling, sweet dreams to hubby and best wishes to both. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I read on a Blackberry but I have had many pals that read on a windows mobile phone and they tell me that their spouse does not mind that at all becuase their phone tends to be backlit. They have told me about the demise of fictionwise that you talked about but their solution was to download and install readers from Mobipocket, Amazon, Borders and Barns and Nobles and continued doing what they have been doing in the past. Cost to them - in many cases $0, their companies bought them the phone for business reasons.

Going to leave this issue for kindle owners, I am not real sure if the kindle is back lit or not, meaning the light source is behind the screen not on your side of it. When its on your side of the screen my pals call that room lit and printed books are all room lit.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
marcv
marcv began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I agree with all the others. Calibre is the way to go.
One thing that I'd like to point out is collections on the Kindle. You can organize your books. Follow the link I posted and it will help you out.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...es-on-the-nook

Marc
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote