Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Feature request

Kovid,

could you please consider implementing a function in Calibre that formats the "tags" list for further use.

In *this thread* the idea came up that one could use the AKC! tool to automatically generate Kindle collections, if one could turn the tags list into an ordered folder path (just sorting and using / as delimiter).

This would be extremely useful for many of us, I submit.

Thanxx, Mixx

Last edited by Mixx; 12-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm collections on the kindle are a flat list, so what would be the point of formatting tags further?

There are already several tools floating around that automatically take tags from calibre and turn them into collections on the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh, I'm sorry, but I have not seen any of that kind. Will try to search.

Thanxx, Mixx
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Mixx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Umm collections on the kindle are a flat list, so what would be the point of formatting tags further?

There are already several tools floating around that automatically take tags from calibre and turn them into collections on the Kindle.
Well, I can not find them. Can anyone please help?

@Kovid: the point is that the tool AKC! can take it from there very nicely. If I manage to save every book in a unique folder whose pathname is assembled using the Calibre-tags of the book, then AKC! (running outside of Calibre) automatically generates the collections using the all tags. For that, it needs assistance from Calibre and I thought you'd be willing to provide it.

If there are several tools that do the same (=automatically create collections on the Kindle using the Calibre tags, then there is no point indeed.

@anyone:

Could you please point me to the tools Kovid is referring to?

Thanxx, Mixx

Last edited by Mixx; 12-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You proposed "/" as a "tag tree" delimiter. Are you aware that creating a tag starting with a "/" creates the path it describes on the device and puts the book there? (As in, a book having the tag "/Fiction/Great Series" would be put in that path.) It sounds like that would already be the answer to your problem.

(Caveat: I don't know how this plays together with any save to device- templates that you may or may not have. Mine are blank, I set the path only via tags.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks, Manichean, that's great. It works even though I have the template

{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

active. Now I'll ask the author of the AKC! tool, if he'd like to implement a couple of lines of code that would use, say, the

{tags}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

template and generate the collections from the {tags} CSV list.

Thanxx, Mixx

PS: I'd still appreciate pointers to the other tool Kovid mentioned.

Last edited by Mixx; 12-04-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Mixx: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=86523&page=3
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Mixx
Zealot

Thanks, NiLuJe,

I am working on it.

Thanxx, Mixx