Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook reader should I get?
Sony PRS-650 53 42.06%
Nook 10 7.94%
Kobo 11 8.73%
Kindle 3 46 36.51%
Other (Please post and let me know which eBook reader) 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #91
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You don't look like the person who wanted the answer or initiated the thread? ...
Interrogative? Thanks, I expect the OP will let me know, if they are not interested in my comments.

Quote:
... Kindle, Nook and Sony ... e-ink ...
True, but the OP said they "...live in Canada". Last time I checked, B&N only ships within the USA and a US billing address is required, though clearly there are ways around this type of restriction.

Quote:
... Kindles do not limit or force users to buy on Amazon stores only, so saying the device will be tied to Amazon is not correct. The limit is imposed by the users when buying DRM protected books. I do have hundreds (and legal) unprotected MOBI books on my new Kindle ...
"Limit" and "force" - your words, not mine. Of course, I didn't literally mean coerce. It is possible to have ties to something, without being necessarily being tied down.

IMHO, Amazon's marketing strategy is to tie Kindle owners to their store, Kindle's lack of ePub format is a restriction and as such, a part of that strategy.

Quote:
... you have B&N and Amazon ...
Are Sony users precluded from buying e-books from either book-store?

Quote:
... One of Sony PRS-650 drawbacks is that does not allow you changing line-spacing, margins, font type, not without adding fonts or altering the CSS ebook file and that's an important option(s) when reading pure text only books ...
Surely, something would only be a drawback if it mattered to the purchaser, and then would only be significant if it mattered enough to affect their choice. In my case, changing line spacing and being able to change font type was of less importance than having a touch-screen interface, twelve dictionaries and compatibility with ePub format. The Sony displays text with or without margins; it has five page modes, including margin cut.

Quote:
... you paid more than $200 and not even wifi, you kidding me?
The OP said, "... I won't need 3G or even wifi ...". Me neither; apparently you do. I would only need it, if I didn't have any other way of downloading e-books. Had I wanted it, for its convenience, that wouldn't have been a need, at least not in my book.

Yes, I was happy to pay more than $200 for the Sony's build-quality, touch-screen interface, twelve dictionaries and compatibility with ePub format. Of course, if these features aren't important to the OP and price is the key, then I concur, a cheaper product would seem to be their most logical option.

Naturally, I would have preferred to have paid less, I realise that many people cannot afford the current price and hope that Sony reduce their prices, so more people can buy their excellent products.

Undoubtedly the Kindle is hugely popular and hopefully I have avoided knocking it, on the contrary I celebrate the fact the consumers have choice. I don't favour monopolies, either e-readers or book-stores. Vive la différence !

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #92
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
IMHO, Amazon's marketing strategy is to tie Kindle owners to their store, Kindle's lack of ePub format is a restriction and as such, a part of that strategy.
All of the big e-readers They are all trying to tie you to their store. Do you really think that B&N want people buying books from other stores? They are hoping that people will buy the Nook based on the idea that it is more open and then spend all of their money at B&N.

Sony would prefer that you bought your books through them. Kobo would prefer you bought your books through them.

I would be surprised to find that the average Nook user buys their books from anyone other then B&N. The people on this board are not the average user, we have all decided to try and find some place to get additional info about a wide variety of e-readers. The person who walks into B&N and buys a Nook on a whim is more likely to spend his/her money on e-books from B&N. The rest is simply dressing that maybe 10% of the users take advantage of.

All numbers in this post are made up because I have yet to see a poll regarding that explores where people are buying their e books from that ties them to a specific device.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #93
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I always recommend or say to people, buy your device according to the books you like and their online store availability; the device it's just a tool, but the content, books, it's what really matters.

Having said that and if you are in Canada, I think Amazon Kindle will fulfill your needs.

Forget about epub format. I had a Nook, sold now. It's an awesome device but B&N epub books are DRM protected so you will end in a similar "close format" situation to Amazon Kindle vs AZW format.

Think about Kindle 3 as 1st option, then Nook.

PS: by the way, Kindle 3 supports PDFs in native format. You can also use it landscape mode or even zoom some portions of your documents, which right now is not possible with Nook and 1.5 firmware version. I know this by experience, not word of mouth or internet.

sigh

I think you miss the point on the nook and epub, yes the books you buy from the BN's bookstore are DRM'd epub that will only work with other nook devices and apps BUT which is a huge BUT it also accepts ePub, meaning you can shop anywhere on line including your own library to check out books.

You aren't restricted to one bookstore. and while technically you aren't with the kindle either because it accepts Mobi, the fact remains mobi is basically a dying format and ePub is by far and away the most used format. It's not even close to the number of outlets of ePub vs mobi.

Mobi is like betamax back in the early 80's

that's the difference between the kindle and the nook and other epub devices like the kobo, , the sony etc.

Last edited by boswd; 12-09-2010 at 02:28 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #94
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Slight OT tangent: You know, it seems to me, if reading these forums is a way to judge, that Amazon's attempt to lock customers in to .mobi/Amazon store is the #1 thing pushing people from the buying a Kindle to choosing some other reader.
Sure, there's the occasional SD card or user-replaceable battery complaint, but all in all, it seems that if the Kindle supported ePub/ADE, it would achieve some sort of next-level domination in the eReader market. Maybe forcing all the other companies to REALLY push out some awesome products if they want to survive.

Perhaps those of us informing people that the Kindle CAN handle the ePub/ADE stuff if you apply some unofficial software should just keep it to ourselves.
Let the Kindle lose some market share.
Then we buy Amazon stock.
Let Amazon realize that while supporting ePub/ADE might result in users buying SOME eBooks from stores other than Amazon, if people buy a device other than a Kindle, then they will be buying NO eBooks from Amazon.
Then Amazon will update the Kindle firmware to support ePub/ADE, the stock price will soar and we'll be rich and can buy more eBooks.
Win/win.

Last edited by ApK; 12-09-2010 at 03:22 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #95
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
... if the Kindle supported ePub/ADE ...
Perish the thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
... They are all trying to tie you to their store ... Sony would prefer that you bought your books through them ...
I'm sure they would all prefer it, but I doubt that Sony really expects it. I imagine Sony anticipated making more from sales of their e-readers, based on their decision to provide ePub compatibility. Presumably Amazon anticipates making more from sales of e-books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
... The people on this board are not the average user ...
Good point. Let's hope that changes soon.

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-09-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #96
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Slight OT tangent: You know, it seems to me, if reading these forums is a way to judge, that Amazon's attempt to lock customers in to .mobi/Amazon store is the #1 thing pushing people from the buying a Kindle to choosing some other reader.
Sure, there's the occasional SD card or user-replaceable battery complaint, but all in all, it seems that if the Kindle supported ePub/ADE, it would achieve some sort of next-level domination in the eReader market. Maybe forcing all the other companies to REALLY push out some awesome products if they want to survive.

Perhaps those of us informing people that the Kindle CAN handle the ePub/ADE stuff if you apply some unofficial software should just keep it to ourselves.
Let the Kindle lose some market share.
Then we buy Amazon stock.
Let Amazon realize that while supporting ePub/ADE might result in users buying SOME eBooks from stores other than Amazon, if people buy a device other than a Kindle, then they will be buying NO eBooks from Amazon.
Then Amazon will update the Kindle firmware to support ePub/ADE, the stock price will soar and we'll be rich and can buy more eBooks.
Win/win.

I still wouldn't buy a kindle even if it had epub, the first two generations looks like old Coleco electronc games I had when I was a kid and Little House on the Praire was on in prime time and the new one looks like a "mentally challenged" calculator

man those things are just ugly

Last edited by boswd; 12-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #97
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And yet they are still the market leader....however do they manage without your support?

Speaking of those Coleco games, tell me I'm not the only one who imagined that the Football game was really a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Heck, if I had had the money I probably would have bought a K1 BECAUSE it looked like that!

ApK
One seriously hoopy frood.

p.s. I want to change my poll response: The Hitchhiker's Guide is the way to go. Sub-meson devices beat flash memory any day, and why mess with wifi or 3G when you can have Sub-Etha.

Last edited by ApK; 07-27-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: 8 months later noticed a typo...go fig.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #98
boswd
Banned

how do they manage without my support? sheep consumerism maybe

The Mattel game, that is great I actually used to own the Electronic Quaterback

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

but seriously you've got to admit that second picture you posted looks a lot like a kindle.

Last edited by boswd; 12-09-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #99
boswd
Banned

I mean come on you have to admit this is horrible, LOL LOL LOL

and this was only a couple of years ago

http://blogkindle.com/wp-content/upl...-1-293x300.jpg

ROTFLMA and you people bought these? I have tears in my eyes.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #100
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
but seriously you've got to admit that second picture you posted looks a lot like a kindle.
What do you mean "a lot like?" That's the upcoming KINDLEColor.

I'm here all week.

OK, enough of this foolishness!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #101
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
sigh
Mobi is like betamax back in the early 80's
like the kobo, , the sony etc.
Let me guess, you own a Nook, right?

I would like to explain something to you: I used to own a Nook, and sold it. Why? because the argument that epub is the standard and a better format, just does not work for me anymore I read and need technical books: MS-SQL, Oracle, PHP, IT security, those are rare to find at B&N or on a store different than Amazon (for good or bad)

Amazon online book store is the biggest and most complete in USA and probably the whole world. Let's be honest. If you compare regular novels or bestsellers, you won't see the difference; the difference resides on those not so common books that when you check in B&N they are 20% more expensive or just not available on electronic format.

Yes, epub is technically better but extrapolating your Betamax vs VHS comparison it's irrelevant here because we're talking about electronic formats, like MP3s vs OGG or epub vs mobi. Betamax was a hardware technology and died not because was a bad format but because did not allow long time recordings that for movie makers was a plus. MOBI, as an e-reader format, allows customer to read their books, period. More technical features are included inside epub but that is not currently affecting Kindle or Amazon. The true is that most electronic books (commercial, not free stuff) are in MOBI format. As a matter of fact, MOBI was chosen because epub did not exist when Kindle was in labs, as simple as that.

Users are what truly keeps a format alive! If you have a huge, big market behind you, your electronic format and device will survive. And the explanation for that is that most of the time, users are right in what they need and works. They stick with something because it can fulfill a market needs: mp3 (nice compression with acceptable sound quality) VHS (good recording time, at that time)

I think Nook is a nice e-reader same for Kindle, but we should buy e-reader devices on what kind of books and material you spend more time reading on, not just the reader format.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #102
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Frankly, I do not know which is the standard format and which will prevail. I got the Kindle on others' recommendations. I buy books, not a huge number each year but I do buy. My partner would definitely not be interested in the Kindle. She would not be interested in being limited to classics and the occasional freebie. She does NOT buy books - she borrows multiple books weekly from the public library. She has no problem waiting on popular titles. So if she were to switch to a reader at all, it would have to be one that supports the library general standard which I take to be epub. She would wait for popular titles just as she does for pbooks. Spending money on books for the one-time read is not in her blood. She does buy boxes or bags of books from library sales but then redonates them back or to a shelter or some such.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #103
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
...I read and need technical books: MS-SQL, Oracle, PHP, IT security, those are rare to find at B&N or on a store different than Amazon (for good or bad) ...
I prefer to get mine from O'Reilly. All their e-books are DRM-free, plus with e-book bundle you get free updates to reflect published changes and corrections.
"Formats Available
There are four file formats included in the Ebook bundle:
  • PDF — The PDF format is a widely supported standard, and is a faithful representation of the printed book. Whenever possible, our PDFs also include navigation bookmarks and live hyperlinks.
  • ePub — One way to describe ePub is "mp3 for books." Instead of each Ebook software and device maker using their own format, the ePub standard is meant to give readers, publishers, and device makers a single format for Ebooks — one that includes many of the same features we're all familiar with on the web, like reflowable text and hyperlinking.
  • Mobi — It's hard to dispute that Amazon's Kindle has sparked renewed interest in Ebooks, and we want to make sure oreilly.com customers with Kindles can read our Ebooks. The Kindle cannot currently read ePub files directly (though we hope that will change), so the Ebook bundle includes the Mobi file format, which can be read on the Kindle.
  • DAISY — The DAISY Talking Book Format (DTB) provides access to print books for individuals who are blind, visually-impaired, or print disabled. DAISY is used by a variety of hardware and software reading systems.
  • Android .apk — Ideal for your Android device."

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-10-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #104
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
I prefer to get mine from O'Reilly. All their e-books are DRM-free, plus with e-book bundle you get free updates to reflect published changes and corrections.
"Formats Available
There are four file formats included in the Ebook bundle:
  • PDF — The PDF format is a widely supported standard, and is a faithful representation of the printed book. Whenever possible, our PDFs also include navigation bookmarks and live hyperlinks.
  • ePub — One way to describe ePub is "mp3 for books." Instead of each Ebook software and device maker using their own format, the ePub standard is meant to give readers, publishers, and device makers a single format for Ebooks — one that includes many of the same features we're all familiar with on the web, like reflowable text and hyperlinking.
  • Mobi — It's hard to dispute that Amazon's Kindle has sparked renewed interest in Ebooks, and we want to make sure oreilly.com customers with Kindles can read our Ebooks. The Kindle cannot currently read ePub files directly (though we hope that will change), so the Ebook bundle includes the Mobi file format, which can be read on the Kindle.
  • DAISY — The DAISY Talking Book Format (DTB) provides access to print books for individuals who are blind, visually-impaired, or print disabled. DAISY is used by a variety of hardware and software reading systems.
  • Android .apk — Ideal for your Android device."
Yes, is a good resource. I got some of mine from there. Still a bit more pricey but good collection.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #105
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Android .apk — Ideal for your Android device."
Android files have made it really difficult for me to ego-surf on Google.

Not long ago, I was one of very few APKs out there.

I should have trademarked myself.

I have this question in to O'Reilly, but I'll ask here too.

If I can read multiple formats, id there anything in the content or of O'Reilly books specifically that would make me choose one of thier available formats over another?

That is, do charts, links, pictures, code sample, etc, look or work ANY differently in their ePub vs. their mobi versions?

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-10-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Tags
canada, kindle 3, kobo, nook, sony prs-650