Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #76
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
You can do it with the non-rooted Nook, you just don't get much in the way of book organization (hence the complaints).
Many people are going to hit a wall with a non-rooted nook. After asking 4-5 times, the B&N support people finally confirmed that there is a problem with the library and it has a limit as to the number of titles it can work with before the database management crashes. I found that the "recent" sort system fails above 1200 books or so (someone here confirmed 1275). Nookdev app, nookLibrary has a much higher limit (reported here) of 3500. Above that, the program reports an "out of memory" error.

So it looks like the ability to use larger storage cards is a waste of time and money, unless you are packing it with stuff other than eBooks.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #77
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Nookdev app, nookLibrary has a much higher limit (reported here) of 3500. Above that, the program reports an "out of memory" error.

So it looks like the ability to use larger storage cards is a waste of time and money, unless you are packing it with stuff other than eBooks.
This issue hasn't been reported to the programmer.

http://code.google.com/p/nookdevs/issues/list
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #78
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
This issue hasn't been reported to the programmer.

http://code.google.com/p/nookdevs/issues/list
Thanks for reminding me. I just submitted it.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #79
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I just submitted it.
Thanks for that! That issue would be a potential showstopper for me.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #80
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I tend to use Trook with Calibre/Calibre2OPDS or the file browser, so it's still much better than using the B&N My Documents. If Hari fixes it so that NookLibrary can support 10K books or so, I'd switch back to it.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #81
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I think some of you are wrong. The article specifically states "improved search on the device" and then separately: "improved organization of your Nook library".

That is two separate issues. I for one am excited to see what exactly then mean.

Leastways, that is my take on the article.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #82
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but having the ability to carry hundreds of books at once was part of the appeal in buying an eReader. I don't usually just sit down and read one book straight through. I read twenty pages from one, fifty pages from another, and so on, and what I want to read today may be totally different than what I want to read tomorrow. I don't have the time to keep swapping books based on what I think I'll want to read this afternoon. It's a lot easier to just dump everything on the reader, then pick and choose later at my leisure. Will I ever read EVERYTHING I have on it? No, but at least I'll never find myself thinking, "I wish I had put this book on my reader this morning."

ETA: and I was beat to the punch. Ah, well.
Ditto! My Nook, 505 and Touch are my library. I keep everything on them. Since I travel a lot, I need to have my entire library PD books as well available all the time.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #83
nesseainie
nesseainie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone heard anything about the issue of Nooks having a sort system failure with libraries containing above 1200 books. I am loving my NookColor and travel with it everywhere. I am hesitating to put more that 900 books on it because of fear it will crash, so any news on this would be great. Thanks!
nesseainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #84
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesseainie View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the issue of Nooks having a sort system failure with libraries containing above 1200 books. I am loving my NookColor and travel with it everywhere. I am hesitating to put more that 900 books on it because of fear it will crash, so any news on this would be great. Thanks!
This thread dealt with the non color nook, which absolutely has a problem with more than 1275 titles when sideloaded and when using firmware 1.3.

As for nook color or nook non color with 1.5, you should post a new post and see what you get. Make sure you identify that you are talking about your COLOR version.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #85
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Someone on this forum mentioned the limit is around 2300 on the NOOKcolor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote