Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
trelokas
trelokas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for a grad student

Hey! New guy here.

I'm interested in buying an ebook reader. I've never had a dedicated device for reading ebooks before. I tried to search for it but got really confused.

My main interest is to be able to read scientific papers and textbooks.

I also want it to allow me to write notes on them. Can this happen?

Support for color is optional, it would be a bonus I guess.

I'm not interested if it can connect to the internet or not, I just want it to plug to my pc and feed it with the texts.

I want its screen to be gentle to the eyes. Long hours of reading from a screen is the reason I want this, it hurts my eyes! Maybe some e-ink technology?

I think that's about it. Thanks for any help!
trelokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Scientific papers" generally means PDFs. As is discussed in a thousand other threads here, eInk devices make poor PDF readers for all sorts of reasons. You'd be best off with a tablet such as an iPad, or Android equivalent. An iPad with, for example, the "GoodReader" app is a superb PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't want to contradict Harry, but just mention, as this is very important for you, that eink readers are fine to the eyes.
Realistically, you can only use a 10" device. All the other readers are too small as most pdf files are prepared for A4 or letter size. The best and almost only choice is the Onyx Boox M92. You can find a lot of information about it in our Onyx subforum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220).
The other great advantage is the much better battery time.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, if you must have an eInk device I agree with Billi - the Onyx M92 is the one to get. But I stand by my recommendation of the iPad .
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Another factor is the number of columns in academic papers. In my field, most of the papers are formatted in two columns. At least for me, two columned papers are hard to read in my Entourage Edge (EE) which has 9.7 inch 1200*825 resolution Vizplex e-ink screen. Onyx M92 has the same size and resolution screen but with newer screens (Pearl) so it might be easier to read two-columned papers than EE.

If most of the papers in your field are formatted in one column, you will be all right. However, if not, I would recommend trying various PDF papers in your field to find out whether you can comfortably read them before purchase.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I have Onyx M92 and a tablet. Reading is much better on the Onyx and I don't see how a tablet even compares to it. The tablet is OK for checking e-mail, occasional browsing, YouTube, etc. but not for long hours of reading.

The latest firmware in Onyx (the Booxtor version) also has a multi-column support.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Another factor is the number of columns in academic papers. In my field, most of the papers are formatted in two columns. At least for me, two columned papers are hard to read in my Entourage Edge (EE) which has 9.7 inch 1200*825 resolution Vizplex e-ink screen. Onyx M92 has the same size and resolution screen but with newer screens (Pearl) so it might be easier to read two-columned papers than EE.

If most of the papers in your field are formatted in one column, you will be all right. However, if not, I would recommend trying various PDF papers in your field to find out whether you can comfortably read them before purchase.
I think it is other way around, because we can read two or three column A4 pdf's (textual or scanned) even on small e-readers if they have column-split or comic option, while reading no-column A4 pdf is not a great idea because panning on 6" e-ink readers is really bad and letters are to small even if zoomed in landscape mode, so the best option left is reflow in k2pdfopt app beforehand.

My advice to trelokas is to buy used kindle dx and install kindlepdfviewer thereon and for handwriting use tablet or 6" e-ink simultaneously.

Another option is Icarus Excel ( M92) because it uses pen for handwriting and has all necessary zooming options for pdf's already built-in i.e. no need to install aditional software like kindlepdfviewer.

The downside of Icarus is its price, because it is hard to find cheaper used reader, so it will probably cost us as used kindle Dx and iPad put together.

Last edited by markom; 04-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
I think it is other way around, because we can read two or three column A4 pdf's (textual or scanned) even on small e-readers if they have column-split or comic option, while reading no-column A4 pdf is not a great idea because panning on 6" e-ink readers is really bad and letters are to small even if zoomed in landscape mode, so the best option left is reflow in k2pdfopt app beforehand.
In some cases, you are right. I forgot that some pdf working papers are horribly formatted with non-existent margin and tiny fonts. Such PDF files are impossible to read without conversion. However, most of the published papers in a single column are formatted with ample margin and they are pleasure to read on 9.7 inch screen once you reduce the margin.

I agree that you can read multi-column papers with reflow feature or by using reformatting tools. I tried this but I gave up on this because I lose positional cue if I don't read the papers as they look on papers. I tend to remember where some sentences and phrases are by their locations on page layout and I cannot do that with reflowed or reformatted document.

If reading reflowed or reformatted document does not affect your reading experience, you will do well with e-ink screen devices. But if you prefer to read papers as they are without any hassle, even 9.7 inch e-ink screen will not be a practical option.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelokas View Post

With an eInk device, no. Though definitely with an iPad.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
With an eInk device, no. Though definitely with an iPad.
There are eInk devices which allow annotation, although I don't know off-hand if any of the 9.7" screen ones do (which is certainly a requirement for PDF).
Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
@ trelokas
Check these videos and then ask your questions in the Onyx subforum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfr1lHAtl4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf62LzKCJ2Q
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I recommend Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet. It's android and it's 10 inch. It has a real stylus. Great for writing, sketching, doing annotations. I'm a student too, and this is a good deal.

For PDF, there is nothing better on android market then ezPDF application. It's around 400¥ (sorry dont know the price in $ ).
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Scientific papers" generally means PDFs. As is discussed in a thousand other threads here, eInk devices make poor PDF readers for all sorts of reasons. You'd be best off with a tablet such as an iPad, or Android equivalent. An iPad with, for example, the "GoodReader" app is a superb PDF reader.
I'm a researcher and agree with Harry.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
socgsi
socgsi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelokas View Post

Support for color is optional, it would be a bonus I guess.
Trelokas, did you find a device that satisfied your needs? I'm in the market for the exact same thing. As a grad student it seems necessary to have an e-ink reader for which I could annotate PDFs with a stylus and export in that format to my PC.

anyone have new suggestions?

I want to avoid printing thousands of pages for the rest of my grad career!
socgsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by socgsi View Post
Trelokas, did you find a device that satisfied your needs? I'm in the market for the exact same thing. As a grad student it seems necessary to have an e-ink reader for which I could annotate PDFs with a stylus and export in that format to my PC.

anyone have new suggestions?

I want to avoid printing thousands of pages for the rest of my grad career!
I don't think there are many eInk devices that work well for PDF annotation. Have you looked at cheap Android tablets? The B&N 9-in tablet or the Google Nexus 10 both have nice screens and are cheap. There's always tons of Android tablets on the market, so you should be able to find something in your price range.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote