Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Light flicker?

Has anyone noticed their glo light ever so slightly flicker randomly? Not just during a page turn but afterwards as well. It's subtle but annoying. Turning up the brightness seems to stop the random flickering but I like the light on the lowest setting.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have seen that with the light on a really low setting. Not sure whether it's hardware or firmware related. I have the light slightly higher and it doesn't do it. That works for me since I rarely read in complete darkness so I don't need bottom end light level.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm hoping it's a firmware issue!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Well I didn't notice it until I read your post.

However, if mine is doing it, it is very, very slight. So slight, I'm wondering if it's just in my head because I read this thread.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Yes, I have a few times. I read with the light on its lowest setting. I have noticed flicker a couple of times. It is a bit irritating, but I found that if I upped the light level one notch, it went away. I also wondered if it was in my head, but I noticed a difference when it went away. Fingers crossed it has not become a regular problem for me, as I read on my Kobo minutes ago on the lowest light setting with no problem.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Man. I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me.
I rarely read in complete darkness, but when I do, I have noticed it. I have the light on lowest setting, but fiddling with the light settings, turning it a bit up and back down to lowest, seems to make it go away. Hence the thought of my eyes playing tricks.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
arikol
arikol began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is quite possible that it's not really a bug or a flaw. These devices use LED lights for illumination, and dim them by switching them on and off very fast. At the lowest brightness settings it is quite common to get these glimpses of flashing, but it feels like you imagined it. That's because your peripheral vision has a higher sensitivity to flickering than the the focused part of your eyesight.

Try looking directly at the screen at the lowest brightness, and then spending a little time looking past the screen, keeping the screen in your peripheral vision.

Most computer LCD monitors that use LED backlighting also have this issue.

There is, of course, the chance that there is a problem with your device, but I think that this may be more likely.
arikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
It is a bit irritating, but I found that if I upped the light level one notch, it went away.
Same opinion and same solution here.

As someone who does read in otherwise total darkness, it would be cool if the bottom of the glow range was more stable. But overall, the light is pretty good – better than what I've seen on the competition.

Last edited by 0x55; 02-18-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: typo
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Ah it's not my imagination then!
I also have it on the lowest setting and occasionally I notice a very subtle flicker.
It doesn't happen very often tho.
I will turn it up a notch and see how it goes..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Yep. I thought I was imagining it too at first but I made my hubby look and he also saw it. Dang. I always read in total darkness and find the lowest setting still to bright so turning it up sucks. But yes the glo is still the best out there IMO regardless.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes, I had intermittently noticed that as well, and worried whether it was developing hardware issue, but then it went away again. I might have changed the brightness, not sure. Or maybe my eyes are just more sensitive some times than at others. I have also heard of this being a general issue with LED lighting at low levels. Though that begs the question, since any brightness settings above 70% seem (to me) pointless on the Glo, why not use lower powered LED to begin with (and possibly save battery as well).
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote