Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #31
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
It's my goal to read through Anthony Trollope. I have the Barsetshire series queued up to start in the New Year. I also have Cranford by Gaskill downloaded to my MP3 player and plan to listen to it when driving.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #32
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No surprises from me but...
Jules Verne
R.L. Stevenson (Treasure Island is one of my all time favourites)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Arthur Conan Doyle
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPigg View Post
No surprises from me but...
Jules Verne
R.L. Stevenson (Treasure Island is one of my all time favourites)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Arthur Conan Doyle
I'm almost done with Treasure Island and I love it
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #34
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Well, as it’s not clear of the timeline this post refers when talking about classic, I’m going to risk it and post mine:

Eça de Queirós
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Maria_Eça_de_Queiroz
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/q#a4852

I apologize as it’s a fellow Portuguese, but I think he is amazing.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog).

James Branch Cabell, if you want sophisticated fantasy. (I think more of his work comes into the public domain next year. Hopefully The Silver Stallion will soon be available)

And of course Verne, Doyle, and Burroughs.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #36
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Well, as it’s not clear of the timeline this post refers when talking about classic, I’m going to risk it and post mine:

Eça de Queirós
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Maria_Eça_de_Queiroz
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/q#a4852

I apologize as it’s a fellow Portuguese, but I think he is amazing.

Best,
Thank you for mentioning him! I'd love to read some of novels but unfortunately there are no English translations in the public domain that I can find. But I think I will post some of these in Portuguese today. I would appreciate your help in pointing out any gross errors I may make onceI'm done.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Shakespeare is still relevant and accessible
Isaac Asimov
Tennyson - our modern ideas of King Arthur
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I will be very pleased to help.

If you are considering other sources, this site as quite good quality versions of his work too, besides the Project Gutenberg ones, who are outstanding (still in Portuguese of course):
http://figaro.fis.uc.pt/queiros/lista_obras.html
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #39
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Chesterton.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #40
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wodehouse died in 1975, which means that he will not be in the public domain in "life + 70" countries (which virtually all of us live in) until 1st Jan 2046.

In the US only, anything published prior to 1923 is in the public domain, but I'm afraid that's a fixed date - it doesn't move on year by year.
Thank you for explaining that Appreciated.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote