Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #46
AbbyNormal
Geek
AbbyNormal began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360, Pocket Edge, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
You know, that was my purpose all along!
I loved Lord of the Flies

But probably we won't, there all those well-meaning aliens around...
They're only well meaning so we don't get all bitter once we figure out we're destined for their dinner!!
AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #47
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
They're only well meaning so we don't get all bitter once we figure out we're destined for their dinner!!
Dinner is a worthy cause. I'm thinking about it myself. But I don't see any alien around. Maybe pasta will do.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Dinner is a worthy cause. I'm thinking about it myself. But I don't see any alien around. Maybe pasta will do.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #49
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Assuming a ship of 200 people, and a little room for other things.... Save about 50 of the worlds prominent doctors (a mix of surgeons, pediatric doctors, midwives, and pathologists), about 25farm hands (because surprisingly they'll know how to do quite a bit with just a little), 2 "nuclear" families of each race (nuclear family: mom, dad, kid), 50 of the worlds most elite special forces (similar to farmhands in skill, but damned good at defense if its necessary). At this point we have 150ppl. Now, we should save about 10combat pilots (in the case that they can learn to fly whatever ships are there, they have some experience to start with), a random selection of 40 college students (20male, 20female, all screened for diseases).

Now, take the contents of the CDC lab in Atlanta GA, because regardless of what kind of technology these aliens have, we're likely to bring a disease with us that could wipe out half of us, and that building might just contain the cure.
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd load up the ship with 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses, just to see that priceless look on the face of all the Southern Baptists!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #51
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
If I could only pick a hundred, I'd grab 99 "celebrities" that are famous for being famous, plus Will Ferrell. Then I'd drive that gods-damned ship hard straight into the Sun.

Cheers,
Marc
I think Marc wins. I have nothing even remotely better.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #52
saturnblackhole
saturnblackhole began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader touch edition
well realisticly no one will be saved because the massess will not allow 100 people to get on a ship while they all will be left behind to die. there would be rioting and no one will be able to get on the ship.

ignoring that if i had to choose i would break it down to percentages 60% scientist, mathematicians, and engineers these people will ensure the human race will continue to grow and solve problems that we cannot imagine yet. 32% of the people will be blue collar workers because you need someone to get there hands dirty and do difficult task that needs to be done. 2 doctors and 3 nurses to care for the people and 3 chiefs to cook.
saturnblackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #53
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
DGma: What was the ultimate choice that was made in the story?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
DGma: What was the ultimate choice that was made in the story?
Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

Did they save the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #55
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #56
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I personally would save athletes. 50 of each gender to rebuild the race. I say athletes because the general assumption is that they are in the best of health, although that is not always the case.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #57
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnblackhole View Post
well realisticly no one will be saved because the massess will not allow 100 people to get on a ship while they all will be left behind to die. there would be rioting and no one will be able to get on the ship.

ignoring that if i had to choose i would break it down to percentages 60% scientist, mathematicians, and engineers these people will ensure the human race will continue to grow and solve problems that we cannot imagine yet. 32% of the people will be blue collar workers because you need someone to get there hands dirty and do difficult task that needs to be done. 2 doctors and 3 nurses to care for the people and 3 chiefs to cook.
Someone with an imagination would be good to. Otherwise fine.

I say imagination as I encounter so many these days who cannot think outside the box. Asking a question that isn't on the form, gets too many blank looks.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #58
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The story was called "Rescue Party", from a book of short stories by Arthur C. Clark, "The Nine Billion Names of God"

The ending is......unusual. Not a 'cut and dried' type of thing.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #59
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, I'm sure I've read that, but I don't remember the specifics.....I think the 60's were between there and here....
Old 01-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #60
kennyc

Available here: http://www.webscription.net/chapters...498747___1.htm

I'm off to read it.