Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Kindle causes Explorer to freeze

A another day, another problem.

When I plug in my Kindle to my PC running Windows XP, all open 'explorer' windows (ie My Computer and stuff like that, dunno about websites) stop responding. I Ctrl+Alt+Del-ed and ended all the open explorer windows as well as stopping explorer.exe. I tried then doing 'New Task' button and typing 'explorer' and all that to restart explorer.exe. Well, explorer.exe starts running in the background but never actually pop up on the screen (so I'm missing my toolbar and stuff) and it only shows up as using 11mb of ram (it usually uses 2x or 3x as much, more when booting up).

After rebooting my computer half a dozen times, I'm frustrated enough to possibly install Linux or something just for Kindle if I can't get this thing working soon. Oh, and I just did the Windows updates and haven't been able to 'properly' restart my computer after it.

(I hope it's okay I made a new thread since it's a new problem I'm having).

Thanks to anyone who actually reads this.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried a different USB port and/or a different USB cable?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you tried running Firefox?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you tried running Firefox?
It's not Internet Explorer that's the problem. It's Windows Explorer that's locking up.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not Internet Explorer that's the problem. It's Windows Explorer that's locking up.
ah.....thanks for the clarification.
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
ah.....thanks for the clarification.
This is the same problem that some with Vista x64 are saying happens over in the other thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40336
Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I have Vista 32 bit and haven't experienced a bit of problem, either with library downloads, mobidedrm or INEPT.......
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But you don't have a K2 which is the cause of the problem (or so it seems).
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Woofer
Woofer began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem this evening when I first plugged in my K2. I unplugged the K2 from the ports on the front of the machine and plugged it into one of the ports on the back and it started working fine.
Woofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
It was the USB port. I plugged it directly into one of the free USBs on my motherboard. Thanks to everyone who suggested it!!!!
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
srice
srice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Yep, I found that using a USB slot on my monitor worked,
when those on the front of my computer caused a hang.
srice is offline   Reply With Quote