Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
danielwille
danielwille began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
pdf to lrf with 2 column and 1 column pages in same file

hey guys!

First of all, thank you for this great forum! It really helps me a lot.

Okay, my problem:
I have a pdf file with both 1 -column and 2 column pages in it, all pictures. I tried to convert it with pdflrf 0.99 (which I love) but the result was not really good. It spit the 1 column pages also in half.

So, what's the best way to handle such a file? I know I could split the pdf into different files and then process every one of them, but that would give me serveral diffrent "books", wich sucks. I want it to be one file. Or is there a way to combine lrf files.

Thanks in advance!
danielwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is how I would probably do it:

1. Split the PDF into multiple PDFs such that each PDF has either all one column or all two column pages.
2. Run these files through pdflrf and put each LRF in a separate folder.
3. Use lrf2lrs on each of the LRFs to extract the PNG files (this is how pdflrf has stored the content in the LRF).
4. For each folder, merge the PNGs back into a PDF (keeping the correct page order).
5. Merge each of these newly created PDFs into a single PDF.
6. Run this PDF through pdflrf to get the final LRF.

I think this would probably work but there might be some image quality loss along the way. Hopefully someone has a more elegant solution.

Any chance you could PM me the PDF so I know what I'm dealing with?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast
Taesoo Kwon doesn't litterTaesoo Kwon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
I developed a program to convert multi-column PDF files (possibly containing figures spanning multiple columns) into GIF images.
Link
I guess the output GIF images can be converted to a LRF file using the PDFRead software.
I cannot be sure how my program works for your case, though.
Taesoo Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yep Taesoo's tool is absolutely amazing, unfortunately the output is hard coded to GIFs.

The good news is there is a quick workaround to produce LRF.

After you've used Taesoo's Tool zip up the files to a zip file with a "CBZ" extension. Then import the document to calibre and convert.

I've done this on two files and the results where great.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote