Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Internal cross referencing

I've begun reading Stephen Fry's "Moab is my Washpot" and he has a fair amount of internal referencing in it (As you will discover on page 92...) kind of thing or (You might remember on page 55 that...) now the Kindle - and I assume this is true for other e-Readers- there are no pages, only locations.
Is it irresponsible of the publisher not to edit those reference for the e-format before taking my money?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
It's a lot of work creating new hyperlinks in a book. I'm pretty sure most publishers wouldn't spend the time. If anyone has an example of a book converted by a publisher with lots of hyperlinks in it I'd like to check it out because that's what I'm spending all day doing at present.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I've begun reading Stephen Fry's "Moab is my Washpot" and he has a fair amount of internal referencing in it (As you will discover on page 92...) kind of thing or (You might remember on page 55 that...) now the Kindle - and I assume this is true for other e-Readers- there are no pages, only locations.
Is it irresponsible of the publisher not to edit those reference for the e-format before taking my money?
There should be links to those pages, which are easily created in word, but might not carry over to an ebook format.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
It's a lot of work creating new hyperlinks in a book. I'm pretty sure most publishers wouldn't spend the time. If anyone has an example of a book converted by a publisher with lots of hyperlinks in it I'd like to check it out because that's what I'm spending all day doing at present.
I'm currently reading Last Call by Daniel Okrent and there are lots of hyperlinks. Certain terms in the book are highlighted, and clicking on those takes you to the rather extensive bibliography at the end of the book. Then, there are the asterisks, which are also highlighted, and clicking on them takes you to the footnotes at the end of each chapter (usually only one to three of those per chapter).

I gave up on checking out all the links early on in the book, as I found it too distracting.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks bevdeforges, does it's copyright allow you to send it to me so I can to see it? If not maybe you have a quick link where to find it.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It should actually be easier to create hyperlinks, than to have to use page numbers, since hyperlinks do not change, even if the page numbers would.

The referenced location just has to have an anchor tag, and the hyperlink just refers to the anchor tag.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It should actually be easier to create hyperlinks, than to have to use page numbers, since hyperlinks do not change, even if the page numbers would.

The referenced location just has to have an anchor tag, and the hyperlink just refers to the anchor tag.
It depends on the tools that you are using but hyperlinks still tend to be a bit more work.
It's busy work but can be a pain if you do a lot of them
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yes. They wouldn't do the same if it were a large type printing, for instance (i.e., they would change the references, or at least know that they should).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
wannabee
Media Bloke

Well here I am. A change is as good as a holiday. I left the print game and am VERY excited to be a part of something new. It's my job to make my employer's books look great. So off I go. Do they? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105466