Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
FullScreen on Kindle Browser

I have heard mentions that if you press the letter "f". you'll get a fullscreen browser.

I have tried this multiple times on different websites, pressing the letter "f" and nothing happens.

How does it work? Thanks

I heard it from the Wired article:

Then comes the trick: just press “f” to enter full-screen mode, instantly turning your Kindle into a custom newspaper

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...e-news-reader/

Last edited by SunLight; 10-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Where did you hear this?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
hi Sunlight,

Quote:
I have heard mentions that if you press the letter "f". you'll get a fullscreen browser.
Ah... Sounds like someone gave you the wrong shortcut...
Actually, if you press "y", the kindle starts to play the latest videos from YouTube in full screen... It's awesome.

No, forget it, just kidding... LOL...

Wishing you a fun week,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's with the sarcasm?

"Then comes the trick: just press “f” to enter full-screen mode, instantly turning your Kindle into a custom newspaper
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
And you followed the directions given below? Just pressing "F" won't do a thing...

"Ron has proven it with a great hack for using Google Reader. The trick lies in keyboard shortcuts and the oft-forgotten full-screen mode. It works like this:

First, log into your Google Reader account and use the awkward cursor control to navigate your feed list. Then hit the “right” cursor to enter the news articles themselves. Then comes the trick: just press “f” to enter full-screen mode, instantly turning your Kindle into a custom newspaper. You can scroll through the article with the Kindle’s page-turn buttons, and – using Google Reader’s keyboard commands – press “j” and “k” to page through articles.

Ron says that “this works best with images turned off in the kindle browser” and with a bigger font size for easier reading: “I happen to like 200%,” he says. One of the first things I tried to do with my second-gen Kindle was browse to Google Reader – it’s a natural fit – but it was too slow and awkward to actually use. Ironically, given that the Google Reader site is not yet optimized for the iPad, the humble Kindle could turn out to be the best mobile newsreader yet.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/#ixzz120oi1ARw"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Quote:
What's with the sarcasm?
Are you talking about the "y" key?
Just being playful here, just a joke, not attacking anyone...
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Ironically, given that the Google Reader site is not yet optimized for the iPad, the humble Kindle could turn out to be the best mobile newsreader yet.
lol, hitting f works on the ipad too.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
What's with the sarcasm?

"Then comes the trick: just press “f” to enter full-screen mode, instantly turning your Kindle into a custom newspaper
I use this all the time, but this only works in the Google Reader, as far as I know.

In google reader, when you hover over the main article reading area press "f" and the articles are now fullscreen. I usually then do Aa->150% to get a decent text size, and it all reflows nicely. From there, you can advance through the articles using "j" and back with "k", or just read through them with the page buttons on the side.
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote