Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
3rd Generation: Boox vs Hanlin V30 vs Txtr

Hi,
I'm hoping this thread will help me and others who have patiently been waiting to buy an ereader and are now impatiently waiting on a final decision among these three readers, which should all (touch wood) be available to buy by Sep 09, earlier in some cases we hope.

My criteria:
  • clarity of screen (matching or bettering Iliad v2)
  • open formats including good support for pdf, txt, lit, rtf, epub
  • free text search in all formats
  • multiple fonts and font sizes - at least 5 font sizes
  • note taking whether via virtual keyboard or touchscreen
  • ability to load and search a dictionary
  • wifi to sync rss newsfeeds
  • battery life (preferably with replaceable battery)
  • folder support and generally an OS that allows ease of use to manage your library, switch between books you're reading, bookmarks etc

I want to be as objective as possible in my choice but I do not wish to wait forever for vapourware.

At the moment the boox looks real, looks like it has all the features above and looks like it will sell for slightly under USD400 from June 09.
At the moment the Hanlin V30 looks like it will also have these features but there are no photos, videos or firm release dates
At the moment, the txtr is a fantastic looking device but I'm unsure whether it has note taking, dictionary support, or free text searching. It may well meet all the other criteria above.

I welcome others that are in the market for a gen 3 and have unbiased views to join me in a discussion as the final product specs for each of these readers is cemented.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
My next reader must have an SDK so I can write programs myself for the reader. I am tired of waiting on firmware that never gets updated. So I am hoping the the txtr-reader will have this.

If the txtr-reader have bluetooth it shoud be simple to connect a keyboard and implement some note taking. The synchronization of pages also makes it possible to take notes on your computer when reading on the reader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote