Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Shunt1
Enthusiast
Shunt1 doesn't litterShunt1 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, PRS-700
The PRS-700 can run Java, but it is rather tricky to invoke the programs.

Read the forums about implementing a dictionary on the 505 as an example.
Shunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It doesn't run Java but has a custom implementation of ECMAScript (also known as JavaScript), which is a completely different beast.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
"It's always harder than you think".
And I always thought it was just SMOP.

... Small Matter of Programming.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And I always thought it was just SMOP.
... Small Matter of Programming.
I always tell my boss we can do anything with enough time and money.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I always tell my boss we can do anything with enough time and money.

BOb
of which there are always endless supplies on every project, right ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
of which there are always endless supplies on every project, right ?
Um... yea?!... That is basically my point.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #22
yunti
Enthusiast
yunti began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
Not to mention the (possibly) more critical point that you cannot write with the pen as you would with the Iliad. The notes are created with a keyboard-like interface, not by writing as if you were working on a pad of paper.
Is this a software or a hardware limitation on the PRS-700. ie does the screen even have the hardware sensitivity to detect 'scribbles' with the stylus?
yunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
ewiplayer
Enthusiast
ewiplayer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post
Is this a software or a hardware limitation on the PRS-700. ie does the screen even have the hardware sensitivity to detect 'scribbles' with the stylus?
Since it can detect a drag, I would bet it can detect a scribble. The keyboard interface is just a simpler one to implement, and ascii text takes up less space than the gif/jpg/png that would be generated by a scribble, can be put into XML and exported, easily viewed by other apps, etc... I would suspect that these were the leading reasons for the keyboard implementation. The hardware is probably quite capable of doing either.
ewiplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #24
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
An afterthought

If you prefixed your booknames, i.e.

AA Notes, AA Reminders, AA Todo...

All of your private "notepads" would be at the top of your booklist, or an alternative:

My Notes:Notes
My Notes:Reminders
My Notes:To do list

Or any other previx to your liking, would also group your "notepads" together in the alphabetical book listing.
Just wanted to thank you! Great Idea!
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKing View Post
My question to the all of the PRS-700 owners is.. Can you write notes with the stylus on fresh pages? Similar to that of the iRex Iliad note taking feature.
As an aside, it looks like your shopping around. The EBookWise eReader has a stylus and you can add notes scribble on text, highlight, etc..

The device is slightly more than $100. It's not an eInk device but the device lats between 10-15hrs on a single charge.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #26
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi wetdogeared!

Just wanted to thank you for your really good idea concerning creating private notes with the Sony PRS-700!

I've tried it out and it seems to work really good. For sure not that good as if a function for notes, not depending on a certain book, would have applied, but it's a good way to help myself, as I found out.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrumich View Post
Just wanted to thank you! Great Idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo_Germany View Post
Hi wetdogeared!

Just wanted to thank you for your really good idea concerning creating private notes with the Sony PRS-700!

I've tried it out and it seems to work really good. For sure not that good as if a function for notes, not depending on a certain book, would have applied, but it's a good way to help myself, as I found out.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
You're welcome, I'm just happy someone reads my posts.

*another idea* What if someone created a book with one page for each month or each day of the year with dates or times to click on. We could attach reminders or notes to certain dates or times within dates. We could have a crude daily or weekly organizer. Any takers.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #28
alrumich
Enthusiast

Quote:
Then I guess the answer is no. As far as I'm aware, comments have to be attached to a bookmark or highlighted note and are limited to 2048 characters.

No place to keep a separate "note pad" that is not associated with one of the above.

-----

This might be way out there, but you could create a document on your computer containing text that you could highlight and then add notes to. i.e.

Notes 1
Notes 2
Notes 3 ...

..or

Notes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
Reminder 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
ToDo List 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

Call this document "Notebook" and copy to reader as a book (and possibly create separate "Books" for Reminders and ToDo list).

Go to read your new "Notebook".
Comments could then be attached to each line or number in the book.
System keeps tracks of all notes and their dates.
Notes would have the title "Notes 1", "Notes 2", "Notes 3" etc., you couldn't change the note title, but the date it was written is displayed and might be enough of a clue to your note.

Not very pretty, but a possible work-around?

Attached is the variant of this notebook. Seems to work fine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _My Notebook.pdf (33.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #29
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrumich View Post
Attached is the variant of this notebook. Seems to work fine
Just downloaded your notebook onto my PRS700 and it works great. It looks good too.

Now about my calendar idea, I think it would work just the same if a page was created for each month of the year. One could attach notes/reminders to any day of the month. You could leaf through the months with a swipe of the thumb. Like I said, a bit crude, but when Sony isn't supplying firmware/software updates we will find ways to work-around. This isn't hacking, it's just making the best of what we're given. I like it.

It's a great compliment that you took this to fruition. Thank you.

WDE.

*edit* Even better, can do an exact search on word or phrase within the notes.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-29-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #30
alrumich
Enthusiast

Quote:
Just downloaded your notebook onto my PRS700 and it works great. It looks good too.

Now about my calendar idea, I think it would work just the same if a page was created for each month of the year. One could attach notes/reminders to any day of the month. You could leaf through the months with a swipe of the thumb. Like I said, a bit crude, but when Sony isn't supplying firmware/software updates we will find ways to work-around. This isn't hacking, it's just making the best of what we're given. I like it.

It's a great compliment that you took this to fruition. Thank you.

WDE.

*edit* Even better, can do an exact search on word or phrase within the notes.
Yeah, it is a little bit crude, but we do have to be creative with Sony
Attached is the variant (year-less); a proper calendar may work better. I wish I had more time to play with it...

UPDATE 1: I have made a calendar for 2009 as well! It is attached.

UPDATE 2: One more - a weekly agenda; 52 weeks, so it should be enough for a year; one can add a note to the title of a page, like "June 1-7, 2009," so it may be quickly accessed from the Notes/Bookmarks; then any note can be added to hours.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _Calendar.pdf (32.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: pdf _Calendar 2009.pdf (33.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: pdf _My Weekly Agenda (52 weeks).pdf (152.9 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by alrumich; 05-29-2009 at 07:01 PM.