Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The IR screens are not fragile at all and I much prefer IR over capacitive and resistive touch screens. I've used my original Sony for almost 2.5 years now without any issues at all other than the occasional bug walking across the screen when I'm reading outside in hot weather or a leaf blowing onto the screen. I've never gotten anything lodged next to the bezel but I'm very careful about food when I eat while reading.

I occasionally blow around the perimeter with canned air once in awhile just to help keep the area clean while I've got it out for something else.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK, IT'S BACK!!

I had thought that the flat black coating on the inside of the scalloped portion, that
the emitters shine into, was something applied by the factory, but when I removed that
I got the touchscreen back. I still have to go over it some more but it works.

I have an 8GB class 10 clone of the factory MicroSD card in and it is being reported
properly in "Information".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #33
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OK, IT'S BACK!!

I had thought that the flat black coating on the inside of the scalloped portion, that
the emitters shine into, was something applied by the factory, but when I removed that
I got the touchscreen back. I still have to go over it some more but it works.

I have an 8GB class 10 clone of the factory MicroSD card in and it is being reported
properly in "Information".

Luck;
Ken
Great to hear you have it working again Ken
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
... I had thought that the flat black coating on the inside of the scalloped portion, that the emitters shine into, was something applied by the factory, but when I removed that I got the touchscreen back. I still have to go over it some more but it works. ...
Ken
Are you saying the Aura IR touch came with a black coating that prevented the IR touch from ever working? Or did you do something to cause that black coating when you had it apart? I can't believe they made one particular Aura different so the IR wouldn't work.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Are you saying the Aura IR touch came with a black coating that prevented the IR touch from ever working? Or did you do something to cause that black coating when you had it apart? I can't believe they made one particular Aura different so the IR wouldn't work.
No I am not saying that, at all. I am assuming - now - that somehow
when I, me, myself, applied 6 coats of "Plastic Dip" to the case, to add some
more grip to the Aura, again me, myself and I, somehow managed to apply
a thin even coating to the inside surface of the scalloped shaped portion of
the IR transparent plastic layer. It was applied in a manner that appeared
to be a deliberate factory application, not the result of some accidental
overspray during my less than professional paint job. For this reason I did
not, at first, include removing the coating in my efforts to get the touchscreen
working again.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Ah, got it. I actually thought you were joking about applying the "Plastic Dip"...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I posted a thread and it poofed. I started having problems with my Aura day 2. It froze for a long time then I turned it off and when it would try to restart it would get hung up on the screen where the little boxes are moving. I had to use the reset with paperclip..then after about 3 tries it came back on. It happened again once I put in the sd card. Ok then I reset and read for about 3 days and then I sideloaded a book (mobi file) Because the website clearly says they are supported well NOT it froze on the file and wouldn't do anything. I had to reset again..and it kept freezing on the little boxes moving thing again. Well, finally it came back up. I had taken out my sd card and put it back in my Nook ST w GL so I could read while the Aura was having it's panic attack. Now I don't have an SD card in it because I'm scared it will freeze again when I put it in. I am so totally frustrated after waiting for 20 days to get this thing and now I'm having trouble and I know if I contact customer service it would probably take 6 months to get a replacement! Has there been a new software update since 4/22? That's the last one I have on there. Sorry for rambling. Just so agitated.
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #38
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Another bit of irony; my "replacement" Aura HD just arrived. So, now I have a Brown one
with 8GB and a Black one with the factory 4GB. I guess I will put an 8GB in the new one,
as well. (I don't think anything larger makes any sense.) I wonder what I'll do with these
4GB MicroSD cards?

I still like reading on my old jetBook Lite, but I can get started transitioning to the new
and somewhat better ereader. I love the higher res and the light, but not liking its lack
of file handling.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #39
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I posted a thread and it poofed. I started having problems with my Aura day 2. It froze for a long time then I turned it off and when it would try to restart it would get hung up on the screen where the little boxes are moving. I had to use the reset with paperclip..then after about 3 tries it came back on. It happened again once I put in the sd card. Ok then I reset and read for about 3 days and then I sideloaded a book (mobi file) Because the website clearly says they are supported well NOT it froze on the file and wouldn't do anything. I had to reset again..and it kept freezing on the little boxes moving thing again. Well, finally it came back up. I had taken out my sd card and put it back in my Nook ST w GL so I could read while the Aura was having it's panic attack. Now I don't have an SD card in it because I'm scared it will freeze again when I put it in. I am so totally frustrated after waiting for 20 days to get this thing and now I'm having trouble and I know if I contact customer service it would probably take 6 months to get a replacement! Has there been a new software update since 4/22? That's the last one I have on there. Sorry for rambling. Just so agitated.
I would suggest formatting the SD card and putting it on clean and then try adding books. I don't know what Nooks add to the SD card, but it can't hurt to format it before trying to use it in your Aura. A freshly formatted card can often help wonders.
And try epubs first. They are back and forth in listing mobi as supported. When I bought my glo, they didn't list them. Now they are back to listing it.

From what I've read, it's hit or miss. Some people have reported them to work perfectly, others have said some do, others don't and some people have complained they can't get them working. So before driving yourself insane, get your epubs and SD card working reliable and then maybe delve deeper into the mobi issue.

You could also try signing out and back into your Kobo account on the device. That rebuilds the database and if anything was corrupted, this is a magical fix. It DOES mean you will have to reload any synched books and you lose reading stats...but you just got yours, so i'm guessing that's not a big deal.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 05-15-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #40
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Ken,

Way to go on getting your Aura going again!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #41
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
SouLThinking,

I'd run that Mobi through Calibre and convert it to an epub, if possible, were I you. I've had Mobi files work fine on Kobos, but it varies from file to file according to those who have come before.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote