Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Sideloaded books are NOT uploaded to the Kobo 'cloud'. They remain solely on your Vox.
Okay, I'm new to the jargon. "Sideloaded" means imported into the library via SD card I take it. I notice that books I acquired from the Kobo store also show up in Kobo Desktop on my PC, but the ones I sideloaded don't. So, are the books I got from the Kobo store actually on my Vox, or are they in the 'cloud'? If I had another Vox at a different location, would these purchased books also appear on it if it was registered to the same email address?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Yes, I have 3 devices, a Kobo Vox, a Kobo WiFi and an iPhone with the Kobo app all registered with the same email address and I can access my library with all of them
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Okay, I'm new to the jargon. "Sideloaded" means imported into the library via SD card I take it. I notice that books I acquired from the Kobo store also show up in Kobo Desktop on my PC, but the ones I sideloaded don't. So, are the books I got from the Kobo store actually on my Vox, or are they in the 'cloud'? If I had another Vox at a different location, would these purchased books also appear on it if it was registered to the same email address?
The only books that sync across the desktop app and the various devices and applications are the ones with the Kobo proprietary DRM, AKA kepubs. The books actually are transferred to your device(s) through sync and then, later syncs take care of the page numbering, notes, highlights etc (for the devices/apps that can do that now. Again kepub books only.

The books themselves do not live in the cloud, per se, which is a very good thing because then you would have to be connected to WiFi or over USB to read them .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Tony - some platforms (eg Touch) will report RL events for your sideloaded books, which can include the title of a sideloaded book. Vox does not do right now.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote