Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Buying an iPad in a foreign country

Hello.

I'm from Portugal and I want to buy an iPad. Unfortunately, it's not available here. I'm thinking about buying in Spain or UK, but I want to know what you think I should know before that:

- Will I have access to iTunes Store?
- Will Apple support my iPad if I'm from a country where it's not comercialized?
- Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Last edited by Over; 08-30-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the iPod sold in Portugal? If so, you'll be able to access the iTunes store; it's the same store.

I'm not sure about the warranty question; you might well have to return it to the UK or Spain if it went wrong (I imagine Spain would be a lot easier for you). But iPads seem pretty reliable - I honestly can't remember seeing anyone here report problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is the iPod sold in Portugal? If so, you'll be able to access the iTunes store; it's the same store.

I'm not sure about the warranty question; you might well have to return it to the UK or Spain if it went wrong (I imagine Spain would be a lot easier for you). But iPads seem pretty reliable - I honestly can't remember seeing anyone here report problems.
Yes, the iPod and iPhone are sold here, but not the iPad. Apple won't stop me from using the iTunes Store just because I'm using an iPad which they didn't release here? There's no risk of some sort of ban?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Obviously I can't give you a guarantee, but I think it would be very unlikely that there would be any problem. People were using US iPads in the UK and elsewhere before it was officially released here, and there were no reports of any issues of that nature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
I live in the Czech Republic, but bought my iPad in the UK (because it was much cheaper). When I was in the store I asked about the guarantee, and they stated it was "worldwide" and that I did not have to return it to the UK. Also, even though it was bought in the UK, there is no problem at all using the apple store in the Czech republic - using my Czech credit card and paying for things in Euros.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Even if the store were not supported in your country, you could still get someone to get you an itunes giftcard from a supported country. You would have to set up an account in that country though.
I set up 2 accounts on my iPad because I wanted access to the US store. There's a way of transferring money (e.g. from an itunes card) from one to another account, but unfortunately as my 1st account is in europe and the 2nd in the US, I cannot transfer my money between accounts due to currency. So I will have to get a friend to get me an US itunes card from walmart or so to finally get the Weber grill book-thingy-app.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I've read somewhere, wherever you purchase your iPad, it's under Apple's warranty in your country of residence. Not so for the iPhone4.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Over
Wizard

Thank you for your replies. I'm about to order an iPad.

Edit: it should arrive thursday.

Last edited by Over; 08-30-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
@Over:
There could be some problem with iTunes. Before the iPad was official launched in germany it was not possible to get access to the german iTunes Store with the german iTunes Store account. That was fixed with the release.

Until then i had to create a second US iTunes Store Account with a US adress and gift cards.

So it could be so that you'll have to get yourself a (fake) US name + adress and a *.com email account like googlemail for example.

You can then order gift cards for the iTunes store for example at ebay and use them to pay at the US store (credit cards are filtered if they are no US CC).

Its not that much of a problem and a acceptable work around but maybe it will be neccessary.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I would love to have some $$$ on my US-account, but I still don't want apple to have my credit card data. When I left the US I kept my account there. You never know what it may be good for...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Over
Wizard

In my case, living Portugal, I guess I can try to register a spanish or british account in iTunes, right?

And when it comes to Portugal, do I have to make a new account? Or just change the address? What will happen to any before bought apps?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

You can change address and country only if there's no money on your itunes account. I bought an itunes card a while ago and still hade some .18Euro left on the account which made switching address impossible. I was told to first spend my money before I could do that, so I opened a 2nd account.
Well, how are you supposed to spend such little amounts of money anyway ???
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
You can change address and country only if there's no money on your itunes account. I bought an itunes card a while ago and still hade some .18Euro left on the account which made switching address impossible. I was told to first spend my money before I could do that, so I opened a 2nd account.
Well, how are you supposed to spend such little amounts of money anyway ???
I am no expert in this but maybe setting up an own ebook for 18 cent on iBook and buying it once?

Easiest way though would be to set up another account with a different email.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Mike_73
Guru

I could do just that, but I "refilled" some money as there were other apps I wanted. And I still would have to get a friend of mine to get me an american itunes card. So I can go with 2 accounts anyway
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
Sischa
Evangelist

The iTunes Gift card was not an issue for me. There are several offers on eBay. Instant order, paid by paypal and recieved the gift code by email in minutes.