Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
MacBook power issues.

My brother gave me a macbook pro retina from America, so I needed a UK plug. I just bought this 12w plug from Apple, but I'm questioning the purchase. It seems to be geared towards ipods and ipads. Is it okay to use with the macbook?
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a USB charger. What you want is a US-to-UK plug adapter for the charger that came with the Macbook. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adapt.../dp/B003TOS786

To be honest, though, if you're planning to use this permanently in the UK, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new Macbook charger from Apple. Plug adapters aren't really intended for permanent use.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-25-2014 at 10:39 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't recall the charge power rating on the MB Pro but 12W isn't nearly enough. The original charger for my Air is 45 Watts. I expect the Pro takes a 60W or higher charge rate.

Harry, if the charger is rated for UK voltage (I think all the Apple brand chargers are, but check what is printed on it), why wouldn't the adapter you pointed to be a permanent solution? I know most voltage converters are not rated for full-time use but those simple plug adapters should be durable. I use a similar plug-adapter when I travel overseas.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
Well the plug separates from the usb part, and then slots into the charger that came with the macbook. But this means I don't have an extension cord, which is what I'm regretting.

It's 65 pounds for both the charger and extension cord! This is clearly a nice little earner for Apple, but I feel like I should have the full cord to go with the new macbook. I guess I'll have a spare charger and American plug, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I don't recall the charge power rating on the MB Pro but 12W isn't nearly enough. The original charger for my Air is 45 Watts. I expect the Pro takes a 60W or higher charge rate.
This is what I thought. I'll go back later this week and replace the plug. It's a bit annoying, as it was the store clerk who suggested it, but after looking at other options on Amazon, I don't think it's a good choice. Shame that Apple doesn't sell the extension plug.

Last edited by Snow Sciles; 11-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Either this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Plug...=apple+magsafe

or this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-appl...YEVN9T58N7P8KT

should do the trick without either the expense of purchasing a complete charger or the addition of an extra set of electrical contacts in the line that a plug adapter would introduce.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The Apple brand chargers ARE pricey. The Magsafe 2 connection on mine also means very few 3rd party choices (I have a $15 one from China but it is noticeable flakier). That's why I've repaired mine twice after my cat decided the thin low-voltage cord looked good to chew!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote