Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the highest level of education that you currently possess?
Less than high school (includes current students) 6 3.00%
High school diploma or equivalent 9 4.50%
I'm currently in a business/trade/technical school or 2-yr. college 2 1.00%
Completed business/trade/technical school or 2-yr. college 13 6.50%
I'm currently a college student (or took some but didn't finish) 19 9.50%
Bachelor's degree or equivalent 4-yr. degree 65 32.50%
I'm currently in graduate school or other post-graduate professional program 9 4.50%
Graduate degree 77 38.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Education of People who Read E-Books

I thought blunty's poll last month to uncover our age distribution was informative. It might also be interesting to learn the highest current education levels of our ebook readers. My guess is that since we're a collection of avid book readers, techno geeks, or both, that we've wasted (wisely spent) more time (and cash) in class than the average non-ebook reader. I'm also curious about what people majored in - technical vs. nontechnical, for instance.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 04-17-2008 at 06:37 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
where's the poll ?

4 years of university, degree in fine arts and litterature.

not technical at all, at the time.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Polls have to be entered after the initial post is visible, and that can take a while, especially if it involves several long entries.

Now I'll get the requisite "my-choice-isn't-there" ball rolling with "Where's the slot for my 'Marital B.S.' degree?"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Polls have to be entered after the initial post is visible, and that can take a while, especially if it involves several long entries.
ha ok, i didn't realize that. sorry for being too quick off the mark ! i'll just wait patiently until i can vote.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what you get for being so interested.
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That's what you get for being so interested.
hee ! yep.... and for discovering the forum spy...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Is a master degree a graduate degree in this poll?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes, the forum spy.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is a master degree a graduate degree in this poll?
Yeah, Masters is graduate, anything above a B.S./B.A.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
kimc127
kimc127 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-700
I have a BA in both history and biochemistry. I am currently in medical school. As much as I enjoy reading, I only have time to use my iLiad for lecture notes and such riveting titles as Robbins and Clark Pathologic Basis of Disease and Harrisions Principles of Internal Medicine.

I must say though that having the iLiad makes it very easy all my notes and most of my texts... with the exception of the atlases, those require color.

Kim
kimc127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished High School, then got a job that quickly sent me into the IT field. Eventually I wound up in IT Project Management (and if I say I was bloody good at it, please understand that I say it with the same pointed passion that I might say "I've a birthmark on the nape of my neck", except the birthmark is more interesting to talk about) but some inter-corporate politics bludgeoned me into a strawberry jam smear, and burnout gave me an acrid, caramel-y smell of charred ordure, and I have now, effectively, retired.

I'm a left-brain. My right-brain wonders if it was harangued by the left into its current state of walnutty shrivelocity, or if its retarded nubbin-state is congenital. My left-brain says "SHUT THE HELL UP, RIGHT-BRAIN, OR I'LL BEAT YOU WITH THE GARDEN HOSE AGAIN!".

You lot, however, are smart. So many degrees...no wonder it's hot in here.

Cheers,
Marc (taking off his clothes)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Marc (taking off his clothes)
Oh the agony ... the pain ... keep your eyes closed ... hit the back button quickly
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
You lot, however, are smart. So many degrees...no wonder it's hot in here.
Well ... I'm smart enough not to confuse education with intelligence, anyway: I've met to many superbly educated idiots, you see.

Or as someone once put it: $50 education, $5 brain. Gets right to the point, dunnit?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I lost two opportunites to get a degree.

Studied for a few years in university in Moscow then for a few years in university in Haifa....
...then IT - Microsoft, Cisco....no way back
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Well ... I'm smart enough not to confuse education with intelligence, anyway: I've met to many superbly educated idiots, you see.

Or as someone once put it: $50 education, $5 brain. Gets right to the point, dunnit?
No question. I think educational "achievement" can be more about endurance or a lack of something better to do (my case). Bright guys have an easier time getting there but it's not a requirement. I work at place filled with engineers, chemists, and physicists with doctorates and there are plenty (I'm definitely not excluding yours truly either) that can barely walk and chew gum on the same day (you know, that can be hard!).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote