Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
There are books which I would love to have in artisan print editions. The vast majority of paper I consume is for things I do not need to treasure in that way.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
DH has some really nicely printed books on military history which were $$ but they are a joy to hold and read. Embossed leather covers, heavy slick paper, and beautiful prints of original paintings. 99.9% of my pbooks are easily replaceable with ebooks because those pbooks are paperback or cheap hardcover editions. There would be very few if any of my books available in a deluxe edition that would rival DH's military history books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Yep. Even books I love, I often just have cheap copies of. I might be inclined to spend $$$ on a beautiful printing but there's not much out there. I can't get worked up about a trade paperback or even a regular hardcover. To me, the content is no more compelling in that form than on my Kindle. As it is, I have thousands of books cluttering up my house. I have bookshelves any place I can fit a bookshelf and more in boxes in the garage. I'd prefer to have one shelf of gorgeous books that I loved and the rest of them in electronic form.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yep. Even books I love, I often just have cheap copies of. I might be inclined to spend $$$ on a beautiful printing but there's not much out there. I can't get worked up about a trade paperback or even a regular hardcover. To me, the content is no more compelling in that form than on my Kindle. As it is, I have thousands of books cluttering up my house. I have bookshelves any place I can fit a bookshelf and more in boxes in the garage. I'd prefer to have one shelf of gorgeous books that I loved and the rest of them in electronic form.
Yea, and you can always take a book down from the shelf to smell the pages while reading on your kindle!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek

LOL. One of my big problems with old books is the smell. Dust and mold. I sneeze my head off. Even if you clean your books regularly, it's hard to stave off the mold. I have a lovely old volume of the complete works of Shakespeare. It's not fancy but it belonged to an English teacher and has tons of notes in the margins. 10 minutes with that book and I'm bloodshot and sniffling. I really should have all enclosed bookcases but they're kinda pricey. If I only had one shelf of treasured books, they'd be stored perfectly. As it is, I just get rid of most of my books. DH is a bit of a packrat, though. He does re-read quite a few of them but not enough to account for as many as we have.
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Maybe there's a market for "paper book" scented candles ... for those who aren't allergic, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek

If it was the smell of a new book, I'd be all for it.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Two kinds of candles then! Already business has increased by 100%!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
NatCh:

And we can make the wicks out of old, useless books!

Oh, wait, that will make you people angry....

At the very least, it will be a very clever way of recycling.
;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Book lovers have emotional bond with paper
If that's the case, I'm a reading lover, not a book lover. I think, for the most part, pbooks are awkward to handle and detract from the reading experience.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #26
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast
Puddytat purr is on a distinguished road

Location: Isle of Wight (that's the little speck at bottom of the UK map)
Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
If that's the case, I'm a reading lover, not a book lover.
Ditto!

Quote:
I think, for the most part, pbooks are awkward to handle and detract from the reading experience.
I agree with this too - have you ever tried reading a huge book like Stephen King's The Stand? I like to read while I'm lying in bed - it's virtually impossible to hold a book thicker than 300 pages in one hand!

With my cybook, I can snuggle down into bed comfortably and my hand doesn't get cramp trying to hold a book open
Puddytat purr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
LOL. One of my big problems with old books is the smell. Dust and mold. I sneeze my head off. Even if you clean your books regularly, it's hard to stave off the mold.
I have been told that one can preserve a favourite book from mould like this:

1. Leave the book outside in the sunshine to air for several hours, preferably open.
2. Close the book and rub a tiny amount of lavender oil on the page edges. Tea-tree oil may be used instead.

These essential oils are supposed to have disinfectant and anti-fungal properties.
I've never needed to try this, so can't vouch for its success.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek

The paperback I was finishing up while waiting for my Kindle was over 1000 pages. It was heavy, hard to hold open, and awkwardly lopsided for half of the time I was reading it. I had to prop it up on a pillow on my lap which meant I couldn't shift positions. I think it actually took a good deal longer to finish because it was physically so difficult to read that I didn't read it for as long at a sitting as I normally would have.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had mold on any pBook I've owned. And I have just kept them in open shelves or bookcases. Nothing special have I done to preserve them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #30
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have an emotional bond with paper -- paper cuts.

My goal is to remove all of the pbooks I can from the house. I have completed one bookshelf so far. This weekend I will also remove another 4 cubic feet of pbooks that were in the basement. Most of these have now been published electronically by Patricia and Harry.

As I look to the future I see the remaining bookshelves containing only required reference books and books that do not lend themselves to the electronic format easily (such as my wife's sewing / quilting / needlecraft books and others like The Complete Farside.)

But consider (if only for a moment) who is hurt by this shift from pbooks to ebooks other than the bookshelf makers. Not my local independent bookstore, they went out of business long before I started collecting ebooks. For my actions the main parties that have been hurt are Amazon who sold me books and UPS who delivered the books to me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote