Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
PDF Handling on New Kindle

How is PDF support supposed to work on a 6" inch screen? Will it be using a reflow feature like the Sony PRS-505?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

It looks not.

From de description of the functionalities of the new Kindle on Amazon website:
«Improved, Built-In PDF Reader
Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle and read them anytime, anywhere. Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. You can also magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode, and zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan to easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics.»

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I prefer to view PDF files with my DX, but PDF on Kindle 2 isn't *too* bad. It actually works quite well on documents that are formatted with smaller paper sizes (A5 works for me) or very wide margins (Kindle automatically crops the margins). Viewing in landscape mode also helps when viewing letter or legal size documents, but trying to actually read full pages with zoom and pan is beyond awkward, and the main reason I opted to add a device with a larger screen to my e-book arsenal.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
In the K3 manual I'm reading some truly exciting things about new PDF features. These are quantum leaps!:

"While reading a PDF document, you can zoom in or adjust the contrast to make the document easier to read"

"Place Cursor in Page — displays a blinking cursor on the page. Use this option when you are zoomed in to a PDF page and you want to create a note or highlight, or use the dictionary lookup. Move the cursor to a location on the page, then begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight."

"Native PDF support via Adobe® Reader® technology."

"Your Kindle is able to display most PDF documents, including password protected PDFs."

Wow, just wow!
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
In the K3 manual I'm reading some truly exciting things about new PDF features. These are quantum leaps!:

"While reading a PDF document, you can zoom in or adjust the contrast to make the document easier to read"

"Place Cursor in Page — displays a blinking cursor on the page. Use this option when you are zoomed in to a PDF page and you want to create a note or highlight, or use the dictionary lookup. Move the cursor to a location on the page, then begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight."

"Your Kindle is able to display most PDF documents, including password protected PDFs."

Wow, just wow!
Sounds like Amazon finally listened to the hue and cry from its customers.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes, bit no reflow feature, right?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Sony's reflow still doesn't work seamlessly, but I sure can't imagine trying to read a PDF without reflow.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Reflow is only as good as the PDF's tagging. If the tagging is bad, as it often is, reflow won't work so well. But Amazon should add it anyway, even if it generates support calls for them (as it would).

I find landscape view sufficient for the most part when I need larger text. And there's pan/zoom.

More critical, IMO, is lack of support for PDF links (used for TOCs, endnotes etc.). Hope they get around to adding that in an update.

Annotation/highlighting was definitely a higher priority than links or reflow for me, however. Wonder if the annotations are proprietary or if they are PDF compliant (e.g. readable with Acrobat or other applications that observe PDF standards)? They aren't worth as much to me if they aren't, but still worth something.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
No matter how good the new Kindle is, no matter how many features it brings, it will never meet my needs as a PDF reader. After trying 7 different readers including the very good PDF features on the Pocketbook e-readers, the 6" devices will never meet my requirements no matter how good or how feature-rich they are. The documents I work with are technical manuals, scientific papers with charts and equations that are formatted for larger displays. No way getting around that. I have pre-ordered the new Kindle for my wife, though.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want PDF, forget any reader with a 6" screen. None of them will do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Agreed 100%. Trust me. I have put dozens of hours of work into making this happen for technical PDFs and scientific papers. It's no use. You need the larger screen for sure. As happy as I am for everyone else about the release of the new Kindle, it does absolutely nothing for me.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Sheikspeare
Groupie

If you take an ALL or nothing approach, no ereader can deliver. The right question is to what extent a device can be helpful. For straightforward text-heavy PDFs, 6" devices with reflow are the best thing around - better than a larger screen for portability reasons. For more complex PDFs the DX is not bad though TOC capability would enhance it considerably as well as an optional reflow feature.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Can't you convert pdf into a reflowable format? What about pdf->mobi conversion?

P.S.: I do not own a kindle yet

Cheers,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post

Wow, just wow!
Good catch, I forgot to check the manual. The new features sound pretty awesome to me!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
shelties4me
shelties4me began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book
hmmm, my 5" screen Jetbook handles PDF's like they were epubs or text with the new firmware. I can size the font or page without have to pan across. I'm looking for a 6" reader with e-ink and am doing some serious research.
shelties4me is offline   Reply With Quote