Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
paperpeople
paperpeople began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
windows 8.1 and reader library

Hello...I just bought a windows 8.1 computer(desktop). Now I'm wondering if the Sony Reader Library is compatible? Or is there an update..or??? Am I in trouble? I get most of my books from my local library. HELP!

Thanks, carol
paperpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The software itself is just as compatible as it ever was. Windows 8 does not break compatibility with old.

But Sony has gone out of business, and I heard somewhere (I think??) that their software may not sign in anymore.

You can use Adobe Digital Editions instead. The help documents for most OverDrive libraries seem to recommend using it anyway unless "you are planning on buying ebooks from the Sony store and/or download free books from Google’s Books".

If your Sony is already authorized, you can download books directly to the ereader as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
paperpeople
paperpeople began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
than you

Hi, Thanks for the info. I was afraid my reader wasn't going to work anymore. Looks like I need to go to my library and look around.
paperpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpeople View Post
Hi, Thanks for the info. I was afraid my reader wasn't going to work anymore. Looks like I need to go to my library and look around.
I don't know what Sony eReader model you have, but I just went to Sony Support, entered the PRS-350 (as a test) and there is Desktop Software (updated 3-27-2014) available for download. There are different downloads for XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (32 and 64 bit) as well as Mac OS X.

So I would just go to Sony and look for support for whatever model you're using.

I guess that PRS-650 highlighted label threw me off ... Here's the page for PRS-650 downloads ...

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-...d#/downloadTab

Just go to Drivers & Software and select your version of Windows 8.1 (don't know if you have 64 bit or not).

Last edited by rcentros; 05-26-2014 at 08:35 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Oh dear ....

This may sound rather odd, even quaint, but I have never - to the best of my knowledge ! - updated any of my Sony stable, (including the ones "lifted" from my ownership by my offspring)..........

I'm now using Win 8 (I presume the first version) - and, incidentally, loath it with all my being - and have never had any problems ..........................

Admittedly, I have only ever, apart from my first couple of books, used Calibre and the services of Apprentice Alf, and continue to do so .....
( Umm... and I don't use the public library facility. although yes, I know I should ....)

But here's the thing ..... should I go for a last burst of Sony "improvements" with my PRS'SSSS & T'S before it's too late, just in case I need to be "future-proofed" in some way, or should I (and sprog) simply leave well alone ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But here's the thing ..... should I go for a last burst of Sony "improvements" with my PRS'SSSS & T'S before it's too late, just in case I need to be "future-proofed" in some way, or should I (and sprog) simply leave well alone ?
If what I had was working (Sony's Desktop doesn't work on Linux) I would just download the upgrade and hold it in reserve. Then, should something go wrong, you could install it if you needed to. I think the one "advantage" of the new software (depending on whether you use the Kobo bookstore or not) is that it connects directly to Kobo, instead of trying to connect to the Reader Store. (At least that's what they say in the documentation, I have no way to personally test it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
carpetmojo - carry on using calibre and sleep peacefuIly.

I did update my T3 when i received it, but since then the wifi has never been on again. mind you, i started with a Sony 505 and the sony software was so appalling that once i found Calibre i have never bothered with anything else through a 350 ( in blue..... Just lovely)and now the excellent T3.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
carpetmojo - carry on using calibre and sleep peacefuIly.I did update my T3 when i received it, but since then the wifi has never been on again. mind you, i started with a Sony 505 and the sony software was so appalling that once i found Calibre i have never bothered with anything else through a 350 ( in blue..... Just lovely)and now the excellent T3.
Thanks Coops, I'm inclined to agree, the more I think about it !

And I agree about the T3, a really great piece of kit, lovely to use, and no surprise most people who still like and use their little 350, also love the T3.
To me, it has the same kind of "heft" in the hand, and is just, well, nice to operate - love the buttons, which were a nice "T" gen introduction.
If only they'd brought this out after the x50 generation - and at the same price - we might not be awaiting/expecting the announcement/demise of Sony's dedicated ereader involvement .........

Sad, really, after starting so well !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote