Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Interesting article about different politeness codes in Germany and USA/GB/Canada

I've recently read an article about different politeness codes in Germany and USA/GB/Canada and I was not aware of this before – how about you?
When reading the article, notice that it's written by an American living in Germany and he's addressing a German audience. Feel free to point out mistakes I made in my translation. Original article in German, here is a rough translation (abridged version):

Why Americans (Britons, Canadians) don't say what they mean
Translated with kind permission of the author

Hey, how are you? asks the American and is surprised, when the German tells him his ferret has just been run over. Just come on over sometime! says the Briton and is shocked, when the German really stands before his door eventually.

Anglo-Saxons don't always mean what they say, Germans in contrast mostly do. When both cultures come together, more problems arise than just the handshake (translators note: reference to another article on the same blog).

That is because Americans, Britons, Canadians and other people from this culture group talk enciphered in certain situations – this is due to politeness. For example it's rude to say "no" directly and thus something will be said that every other Anglo-Saxon will understand as "no", but does not mean "no". [Dear female readers: some problems with the word "no" are caused by gender more than culture though, sorry.]

When questioned by her best friend if a dress looks good on her, a German woman might grimace and say "Hm, not really" or "I don't know, if it looks that good on you". An American woman though would more likely say something like "Wouldn't blue go better with your eyes?". For an American that means you look like an anorexic heroin addict, while a German has the feeling you're talking at cross-purposes. Eyes? Why is she talking about my eyes? I want to know if my ass looks fat!

Other examples: In a discussion with Americans "I wonder if this is really the best solution" means "no". "I’m wondering if we might need more time" means "no" and "We might want to review some parts of the project" means "no". Americans are bewildered (or just angry), when a German considers such sentences shortly and then says, no, it's fine how it is – and then just carries on. From the American's point of view the sentences were very clear in their meaning.

This is the case in everyday life as well. A polite Canadian will not say that he dislikes a present, because that would be rude and might hurt other peoples feelings. And that is – to come to the essential point of the article – in case of doubt more important than the absolute truth. That's why one would say it – if at all – enciphered and because the other person knows the code, he understands it and everything stays polite. Not without cause the terms white lie and polite lie exist in the English language: it's a socially required falsehood.

The question arises how Britons & Co. react when they really like a present. In short, they freak the hell out. I always wanted that, honey, look here what she brought me, already as a child no before I was born I wanted exactly that, wait till I show the neighbors, thank you very, very, very much, I'll never forget this day and my grandchildren will still talk about it, it will be chiselled on my gravestone!
When a German is uncomfortable with the situation and beginning to think he's being teased, it's exactly how it should be.

However exhausting happy Anglo-Saxons might be for Germans: the other way around the problem is more grave. An American who gives a German a present is virtually always disappointed, because Germans never freak out in such a situation. In the code book of an Anglo-Saxon the normal German "thank you" means that he doesn't like the present. This author had to console quite a few fellow countrymen over the years, who would come back from a date frustrated with the complain: "She didn't like my present! What did I do wrong? I don't understand!"
No, she loved it, but she's a German. That's just how they are. Marry her anyway.

Now comes the part some of you might not like: the described principles are especially true when visiting another country, in our specific situation Americans in Germany. Parents will impress this upon their children: If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything. And thus they keep their mouths shut while they are visiting or are here because of an exchange programme: criticising the host is considered very disrespectful.
That's why it's almost impossible to find out how an American or Briton liked Germany. When they are well brought up they'll always say that it was great. Fantastic. Totally amazing. Anything else would be just a little less impolite than cleaning ones nose with the tablecloth.
For Germans that is frustrating. When someone stays in a country for a while they assume that there are some things one wouldn't like – of course. It's considered "honest" to talk about that and a differentiated opinion is a sign of a cultivated, critical mind. Who finds everything great, amazing, fantastic is considered dumb, credulous, shallow – the latter is not without nothing one of the most prevalent biased opinions Germans have against Americans.

When going to or being in America, Germans might start to panic when they find out about the politeness code. Every sentence, every comment will be questioned: did he really mean that or is he just being polite? How should I behave?!
In the end one should be reminded about this: in no country the citizens expect a totally "correct" social behaviour from a foreigner. Most Americans know that Germans are – let's say – more direct. One has a little tolerance, as long as one has nothing against confirming a stereotype.

Last edited by IceHand; 05-03-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Typos
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Awesome post, thanks!
Even though I am canadian, I obviously left the country before I was taught in the art of lying politely, and now I live in a country where I reply "oh man, this day is so bad" when someone greets me with "howyadoin".

*insert-lightbulb-smiley-here*
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks for sharing that, IceHand! I find cultural differences to be very interesting. I guess my 3/4 German heritage must account for my tendency toward excessive (by "American" standards) bluntness.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Awesome post, thanks!
Even though I am canadian, I obviously left the country before I was taught in the art of lying politely, and now I live in a country where I reply "oh man, this day is so bad" when someone greets me with "howyadoin".

There you go.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've always thought if I wanted to expatriate it would be to Germany or New Zeland.

Don't know why Germany... perhaps because they make such nice cars... but I guess I've read other good stuff about it. Now, I find out that they "tell it like it is" too. Sounds refreshing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
"I will think about it"...

It took me a few years to realise why people would not come back and ask me about my decision...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cultural differences can result in people seeming to be rude, when that wasn't the intention.

Eg, in Britain and the US, it's perfectly "acceptable" to walk into a shop, have a look around, and walk out again, while ignoring the serving staff. In France or Germany, if you don't say "Good Morning" (or whatever) when you walk into a shop, you'll be thought of as being amazingly rude!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Cultural differences can result in people seeming to be rude, when that wasn't the intention.
True. I can't help wondering how many of my comments and posts in this forum or elsewhere on the internet have been considered rude while that never was my intention ...
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
After I graduated from college in the US, I got a temporary job at Daimler Benz GMBH in Sindlefingen, Germany as what Germans call a Machinenbau practicant. This was a job on the factory floor intended for engineering graduates to give them experience actually working with the equipment and in the sort of environment they might eventually design.

First thing I discovered was that, when you have to stick your hands into a metal press machine (presswerk) that's stamping out parts from sheet steel, you learn German real fast!

Second, I learned to shake hands every day with every one I worked with. To not do that would have been considered rude.

And, third, I soon understood the difference in politeness codes. After I worked there a few weeks, one of the engineers called me into his office and asked me what I thought about how the factory was designed. And I politely said it looked great which got me a quizzical look because he expected me to really say what I felt. I quickly learned to be very frank.

Finally, I learned to drink beer all day and not get drunk. German women pushed carts selling milk, sandwiches, pretzels and bottled beer around the factory floor all day. And most the workers kept a bottle by their work station starting around 11:00 taking sips all day. Yet I never saw anyone drunk.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
And, third, I soon understood the difference in politeness codes. After I worked there a few weeks, one of the engineers called me into his office and asked me what I thought about how the factory was designed. And I politely said it looked great which got me a quizzical look because he expected me to really say what I felt. I quickly learned to be very frank.
I definitely have some German blood.

Unfortunately, I am still very frank and it is not a very suitable for the UK.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
My wife is German but born in this country. I often wonder which side is showing. When she asks if this dress looks good on her I have to be blunt, anything less will lead to a "discussion" about allowing her to waste money. She always ordered from the left side of the menu, never the right.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
really interesting article ! thanks for the translation. it's pretty fascinating to compare different cultural standards. a friend of mine once told me about the different notions of "personal space" ; i may be getting the details* wrong, but in japan it's considered polite to remain about a meter away from the person you are speaking to, whereas in italy people like to stand much closer. so one day he observed the conversation between an italian and a japanese in a reception ; the italian was standing too close, so the japanese took a discrete step away. and then the italian unconsciously closed the distance, leaving the japanese to retreat further at the next occasion. and then the italian would again reduce the gap, so in the end they were chasing each other around the room. in the course of their conversation made at least two full laps. it's the cross-cultural conversational waltz.

*details i may have remembered incorrectly include approximate distances and specific nationalities. only the general underlying idea is certain. also the incident, which really happened, but i couldn't say where or when or who was involved.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
She always ordered from the left side of the menu, never the right.
what does that mean ?

and, perhaps you could add it to the colloquialisms thread...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
True. I can't help wondering how many of my comments and posts in this forum or elsewhere on the internet have been considered rude while that never was my intention ...
Yeah, that's a definite challenge in an international venue like MobileRead. I think that for the most part folks around here are willing to give the benefit of the doubt on such things (especially when a location is filled in to give a clue that it might be needed). Even so, I've seen it happen a few times, but this community is usually so easy-going that it smooths itself out pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
She always ordered from the left side of the menu, never the right.
what does that mean ?

and, perhaps you could add it to the colloquialisms thread...
It's not really a colloquialism, per se -- restaurants tend to arrange their meals in increasing order of price as you go from left to right on the menu. In the U.S., anyway, I don't have any idea about the rest of the world.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It's not really a colloquialism, per se -- restaurants tend to arrange their meals in increasing order of price as you go from left to right on the menu. In the U.S., anyway, I don't have any idea about the rest of the world.
thanks for the explanation, i didn't know that (although i'm a little disappointed ; it *sounds* like it could mean something colorful and unexpected... maybe we can make up a new meaning and mozzle our own colloquialism). is it something really common, that everybody knows over there ? i don't think it's the case here, although to be honest i've never really paid attention.