Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
LonelyStar
LonelyStar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle DX - better pdf support?

Hi,

I am considering to buy a eReader for reading technical pdfs for a long time now.
The Kindle DX was always criticized for its bad PDF capabilities. Now I read on the Kindel side, that pdf zooming and panning is supported.
I wonder if the Kindle DX has become a good pdf reader ?!?
Does it support auto-remove margin for pdfs (as the onyx m90 does)?
What do you think? What does it still lack?

Thanks!
Nathan
LonelyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
What the DX lacks is what every other e-reader lacks when it comes to reading pdfs: the screen to too small. A truly great pdf reader would have a letter size or A4 size screen so that panning/zooming etc. would be completely unnecessary. Unfortunately, there are no e-readers with large screens. The DX is the closest thing you'll find right now.

You can use the DX to read pdfs and I find that by rotating the device to landscape orientation the magnification that is automatically applied to fill the width of the screen is just about right for reading any pdf. However, tables and illustrations are often cut-off, so it isn't an ideal solution. There is no support for TOC or active links and I think highlighting/notes don't work on pdf files either, though I have never tried.

You can add Duokan to your device to improve pdf handling a bit, but in the end it really comes down to screen size and there's nothing you can do about that.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
jessejhein
jessejhein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
I disagree. I use mine extensively to read PDFs, technical ones quite often. In fact, I bought a new O'Reilly Head First book (graphics intensive, and only supplied as PDFs) last night and am in the midst of reading it.

I do agree the text is a bit smaller than ideal (i.e. your average hardback) but it is very readable, and not as in "squint and hold the book two inches from your nose" readable. I've read printed texts that way, and the Kindle DX is better than that.
jessejhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
the DX is great for PDFs....its a shame they never added the extra K3 features but the large screen is all you really need
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote