Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Anyone found a 16GB card that works well for running CM7 ?

I have CM7 running great off of an 8GB SanDisk class 4 uSD card, but when I tried a Patriot 16GB class 4 card last week, the performance was terrible and I got many more waits and force closes.

I know the NC is picky about uSD cards, especially for sizes over 8GB. Hence my question:

Has anyone found a 16GB (or larger) uSD card that works well for directly running CM7 ? If so, could you please let us know the brand and class rating ?

I am not quite ready to remove the stock OS from eMMC, hence would like to continue to use CM7 off of the SD card for as long as possible.

Thanks much in advance for any feedback !

[UPDATE]
Anyone looking for the "cliff notes" version of the solution -- get a SanDisk 16GB Class 4 card. They work the best by far and has been confirmed by several people. Radio Shack has had sales on these cards for $24.99 for a while now ... get those while it lasts

Last edited by rana; 06-02-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: providing a summary solution
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I would advise looking through the user reviews at newegg.

Look for people that have actually benchmarked the card with Crystaldiskmark or the like. Look for good read/write and random read/write numbers.

The "class" rating all too often doesn't really tell you much about the performance.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Rana you might want to take a look at this post from xda.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I wouldn't be too obsessed with the card class; I'm running CM7 off a 4Gb class 2, and it works very well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Rana you might want to take a look at this post from xda.
That was an EXCELLENT reference and perfectly matches with what I have seen so far. Thanks much Goldberry !

Based on a reference on that thread, today I went out and found that RadioShack is selling the 16GB SanDisk class 4 card on sale for $25, so I picked one up. Will try it out in the NC soon and will post my experience here.

Thanks again !
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
rana
Gadget Freak

Quick update: Little over a day after replacing my SanDisk 8GB Class 4 with the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 (from RadioShack) and so far things seem to be great ! The 16GB is working as good as my 8GB and NC is stable as ever. This just may have been the recipe I was waiting for !
Old 05-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I have the 16GB Sandisk from Radioshack, too, and I'm convinced it outperforms the Nook's eMMC.

As a side note, rana, I don't know if it's happening for everyone, but your Device listing is breaking the forum layout for me. Any chance you could insert some spaces, at least enough to create line breaks?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
rana
Gadget Freak

One final update on this. I have now been using for a couple days the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 card from RadioShack, and things are working FLAWLESSLY ! I have not had ONE force closes since migrating to this card. So anyone looking for a reliable 16GB SD card for the NC should definitely consider this. Performance has been very good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
As a side note, rana, I don't know if it's happening for everyone, but your Device listing is breaking the forum layout for me. Any chance you could insert some spaces, at least enough to create line breaks?
Hi taosaur - Yes, sorry - I am aware of this and it shows up that way for me also. But the problem is that I have completely run out of available space in the device list field (why is there a character limit for that field anyway ? It alienates us gadget freaks ) ... hence had to remove all spaces to make room. I will see if I can shorten some of these and insert a space there.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Glad to hear CM7's running smooth.

You could save quite a few characters by dropping just one or two of those devices in the mail. PM me for an address
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
CM7 ran slow as molasses on Kingston class 4 16 GB card. I found the Sandisk class4 16 GB card at Radio Shack and now my system seems to run at least as fast as stock.
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote