Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
Thank you.

Being a "techie", I trust your judgement. Hmm... I am really torn. I love the idea of an ereader and the help it could be.

Would you be willing to see about exporting typed notes (using the keyboard) from each of the ereaders? I just don't know who to ask here who would find that a "fun experiment".

Either the T1 or the 350 (the other one which caught my eye) with PRS+ (if it could even be found). The exporting of notes would make it the perfect device for me....

Never thought I would want something special no one thinks is important. No teachers, researchers, etc. here? I could do 80% of my work on a paperback-size device packed in the tiniest purse... the idea ist just too too tempting. Read the book, annotate, highlight and then at home or in the office usb and send the relevant notes and quotes to the pc to be integrated into the project (yes, I do cite).

My laptop was a step to minimizing, but is still the size of a regular notebook (and only 1,5kg)--tiny but still "work related and awkward" and not for all day treks and coffeehouse research hours, where just the books are of interest.
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Hmm...
honestly speaking, I am just too scared to connect and sync my T1 with Sony's software, as I have read some very upset reports, that a whole bunch of books got deleted, because the books were not in Sony's library program, thus it "synced" (=deleted). I even don't have the software installed (it's my work laptop, privately I use Linux).

I found a few threads, which cast some light on your question:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156170
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115827
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102283

Reading these, I conclude, that exporting notes seems to be better with the T1 than the x50 models.
Besides this I now remeber, that the process of annotating is a bit clunky on the x50. As you plan to annotate a lot, this is one more hint towards the T1, as the workflow simply is better, when it comes to annotating on the device.

Thus, if you go Sony, take the T1. You could order online, play around a bit and if you don't like it, send it back.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #18
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Vish, you found what I just couldn't seem to find (too much information? blindness? hmm)

looks like I am going to go with the T1 (sorry Kobo, but not seeing you just doesn't work for me) and hope and pray that someone with tech abilities will figure out a simple download plug-in (I'm not familiar with this coding, etc. and would be too afraid to try) for exporting--seems to actually be a common desire and/or need.

I, too, am "afraid" of the sony supportware after reading here and having an... mmm.. interesting... relationship to sonicstage for my mp3 player. that sync thing scares the heck out of me! Just shouldn't default like that.

Fortunately, I have a bit of time to watch the inernet and think I might have someone from the States get it "on sale" when the price drops again and send it here.

Until then I am beginning to gather books through Calibre... for a starting library.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #19
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Oh yes, Sonic stage, what a nightmare! It once declared, that I did have no rights to import some self recorded stuff to my computer...

About buying... If you are not so sure, whether you will keep the device, it is maybe worth considering to get it online here in Europe, as you have the right to return your purchase within two weeks, when it was bought online. No reasons or explanations required. It's a bit more money, but you can return it, if you don't like it, plus you have guarantee without the hassle of having to return it to the US first.
I bought mine directly from sony's webshop. No problems.

About exporting, as long as you find a way to keep synced without getting stuff deleted (I guess you will have to import the books from your reader to the PC first), it sounds simple enough. Once you know the ropes, it will be done in a jiffy.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
Krystl
Connoisseur

good to know I'm not the only one. I got the device lockdown freezing everything as the program automatically decided to resync my ENTIRE pc to their program and the device automatically opened the stage and I couldn't get it to close or load any other way.

That is the reason I am so "respectful" of the software. It really scares me. I love my mp3 player (nothing special, but still works great 5 years later) but cringe each time I have to reload.

In Feb. I am heading State-side for the semester break and hope that the price will still be lower somewhere. There I have 3 weeks to play around before heading back--and the $99 vs 129€ ist quite a bit (as the dollar is of higher purchasing power).

hmm. I have questions about archiving etc. but will post that in other forums. Perhaps you will yourself helping me out again... and again... and again...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
vishcompany
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
hmm. I have questions about archiving etc. but will post that in other forums. Perhaps you will yourself helping me out again... and again... and again...
I (and others) will be around
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I can confirm that exporting notes (drawn and wrote with keyboard) is possible in recent custom builds of PRS+.
Meaning: not available yet with easy installer, but allready existing and (hopefully) to be expeted in future versions.

Making drawings or notes produces additionally TXT-files or JPG-files with the content of your notes.

A.

PS:
I'll here too, on this forum and in AT ;-)

Last edited by Analogus; 01-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
vishcompany
Addict

How nice, people from AT popping up all around here...
Warum red ma eigentlich Englisch?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Krystl
Connoisseur

woi ma ned wissn, wer antwortn mog...

tja... English is simply the language of international communication... gotta make a Sony AT sub-forum... we'll even let the Germans in... just kidding.

If the PRS+ (or whatever) has the function, do you think the T1 will get a plug-in to allow it without loading the Sony program?

and tech-speak is hard enough for me in English--don't understand 1/2 of what people are writing here, anyway.... I just want to get all my books on here, create simple visually clean epubs of important MD Word text docs (with working table of contents) and carry it with me. I understand the words of the conversions, etc. but just tooo confused by the process to try

And the device will be only be arriving in Feb. -- brand new Sony T1 found for $89 tax-free (in Oregon-no sales tax, VAT, UsSt) in USA. YEAH!!!! Love family. I guess this thread has served its purpose.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #25
vishcompany
Addict

wow, this IS cheap, good for you. I'm pretty sure, you will like it, as it is a good device.

PRS+ is a firmware (aka operation-system) addon for almost all Sony readers up till now. All of them are running on Linux, so it was possible without too much efforts to port this from one generation to the next.
The T1 is running Android, which is a special sort of Linux (looking a bit different under the hood), so it is not easy at all to port PRS+ to this device. Nobody knows yet, if the effort will be taken.
The advantage is, that you can install apps from the Android ecosystem (known from mobile phones and tablets).
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
Krystl
Connoisseur

I think I had gathered that about the pst+, etc.

Part of me is curious about the ability to "unlock" the T1. The only reason I went with it was because of the absolutely unbeatable price. I just know I will brick the thing (I'm good at that--really good...). I know android, etc. but am not one to "play" with it because it drains my battery in 0 sec. flat to go online (exaggerated, but still). and yet... a couple features WOULD be nice.

I tried it out in Saturn, though, and it did freeze up once (I wasn't doing anything remarkable) and couldn't figure some things out even with the "bedienungsanleitung" so I know that I will be heading to the sony board when I have it. The sales personal were less than helpful--I knew more than they did (without ever having the device in my hands) and seemed only interested in a "quick sale" at 149€!!!!! more than DOUBLE the price for me in the USA and only in white! with no stylus, it wasn't easy to type or see about bookmarking--much smaller touch point than I was expecting.

I tried out a friend's Kindle 3 (was visiting for new year) and it was pretty cool--liked the non-shiny bezel, the side page-turn buttons and slide-lock. plus being clipped into the case was nice without the bands. If the Sony had those in addition, it would have been a no brainer for me.

btw: what types of cases should you use? I like the idea of a "stable sleeve" (like for my smart phone), but in the other threads, some are more than adament against using them. can you explain what's up with that?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
btw: what types of cases should you use? I like the idea of a "stable sleeve" (like for my smart phone), but in the other threads, some are more than adament against using them. can you explain what's up with that?
I'd say whether you take a cover that stays always on or a case where you take the reader out to read is pretty much a matter of personal preference.
If you plan to take the reader with you however you want to make sure that whatever you use puts something solid between the screen and anything that might bump into it. The e-ink screens are pretty fragile compared to modern smartphone or tablet screens.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
Krystl
Connoisseur

ok... so fragile... but lots of people take them everywhere, etc. right? but basic common sense is enough with a decent case, right? (not placing it at the bottom of a bag, not hitting, throwing or dropping it,

is "solid leather" like some are talking about enough? firm neoprene? memoryfoam? something harder like a flat piece of "plastic" integrated?

perfectionist here.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
Krystal, I think lots of cases work alright. The best IMO, have a full sheet of hard plastic or other material integrated with some foam interior protection. The hard layer is to prevent a pressure point from impacting directly on the screen.
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
vishcompany
Addict

Quote:
perfectionist here.
I like that

I agree to what Escape said. Basically almost any cover will do; the best protection, though, is still being thoughtful and careful. Mind, the T1 is the first Sony reader not to have a metal casing. Knowing that an eink screen has a glass layer which is the most vulnerable part, you will actively avoid any bending and twisting forces on the device (such as stuffing it into your trouser pocket and then sitting down), as well as strong pin-point pressure onto the screen.

Tags
epub, kobo, sony