Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was reading my iliad and it just stopped. (green light went out completely)

The battery meter on-screen was still showing about half power.

If I plug it in to charge the red light comes on. But after leaving it about an hour, it still won't boot up (and the red light goes out entirely until I unplug it and plug it back in).

I think my iLiad just bricked itself. (For the record, while I have been avidly reading the hacking section, I'm not confident in my abilities to start fiddling, and as such havn't done anything too it).

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
Silly question, but have you tried resetting itand switching it on again?
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I should have said that was the first thing I tried.

And of course typically, it's bricked itself on a piece of text which taken completely out of context reads extremely badly.

http://www.baen.com/library/0671319728/0671319728.htm

Quote:
Several weeks later, in his fortified camp outside Nürnberg, Wallenstein did crumple a letter.

"Idiot," he hissed. He tossed the message into the fire. The roaring flames in that great fireplace—as ever, Wallenstein had appropriated the largest mansion in the area—consumed the paper in an instant.

The imperial army's top commanders were standing as far away from the fireplace as possible, while staying within speaking range of Wallenstein. In the heat of a July evening, they found the flames oppressive. Absurd, even. But Wallenstein always insisted on a fire, no matter the time of year.

"Idiot!" repeated Wallenstein. He clasped his hands behind his back and stared at his officers. His next words were spoken in savage, sing-song mimicry: "`Kill all the Jews in the town.'"

Piccolomini barked a laugh. "Ha! Easy to say—for a cardinal! What does that shithead think we're dealing with? Unarmed civilians in the Inquisitor's chambers?"

Next to him, General Sparre sneered. "And how in God's name are the Croats supposed to find them?" he demanded. "Especially in that grotesque place! Read the street signs? The ignorant bastards are illiterate."

"Wouldn't matter even if they weren't," muttered General Gallas. He lifted his heavy shoulders. The gesture was not so much a shrug as a twitching off of insects. "Does Richelieu seriously think you can order Croat cavalry to kill selectively?" He snorted. "They might spare the dogs. Probably not. Jews are dogs, after all—ask any Croat."
(If it needs to be said, those are the bad guys. I'm hoping both get a pike shoved somewhere painful).

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Pitchfork
Connoisseur

After you charged it? Mine went dead the other day also showing half power. My friends daughter was using at the time and started crying thinking she bricked it. I put it on charge and tried using it. Nothing happened. I did not realise that the device had swiched itself off as the screen was still displaying. After a bit of thought I switched it on and it was ok again.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Pitchfork
Connoisseur

BTW does it work when being charged? If so it may be a faulty battery.

Sorry for asking all these obvious questions, but I don't like to see another Iliad user in pain.
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Riocaz

Timeline:

Me Reading:
iLiad stops. But screen is showing half power.
I try the reset button thinking it's just crashed. Reset, leave for 10 secs, turn on button. No reaction.
I try plugging it in, and get a red light. I leave it for half an hour to build up a charge, before trying to turn it on. Using the on button turns the red light off (charger is still plugged in) but the iLiad doesn't boot up at all.
Unplugging the charger and replugging it gives me a red light again.
5 Mintues later I try the reset button again, just in case. And try to boot the machine. Again the red light goes off, with no other reaction from the machine.

Don't apologise. You have no reason too. I've worked in tech support, you always start from the most basic questions. Even if they sound stupid, you never know what someone may have forgotten in their panic.

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Riocaz

Just to clarify no it doesn't work when plugged in. The charging light just goes out.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Pitchfork
Connoisseur

I must admit that I do not know what to suggest other than that itcould be a memory card locking up the system if you have one inserted.

I does not look promising if Irex are having hardware problems so soon. Hopefully they will bend over backwards to accomodate a very rapid solution.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
Riocaz

I do have a memory card inserted.

Hold on I'll try removing it.

--edit

Removing the CF card had no effect.

Tried resetting it again, and still no reaction (tbh I think all the reset button does is turn off the power anyway).

I'll try it in the morning just in case. But it looks like it's bricked.

In all fairness to iRex, one machine stopping within days of sale does not "look bad on them"

You will always get a few machines which just stop working soon after sale.

This could be for any number of reasons (faulty processor/cpu/memory or even something as silly as something coming loose inside because it wasn't soldered in properly). It's why they used to suggest that people leave their computers to run for 24 hours after getting them as if something was likely to go wrong it will almost always happen within the first 24 hours.

I would only become worried if lots of people report the same problem.

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
i will suggest one more thing, even if it sounds stupid, but have you tried holding the on switch for about 2 seconds?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #11
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
:'(
sorry to hear that Riocaz
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 AM   #12
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Timeline:

Me Reading:
iLiad stops. But screen is showing half power.
I try the reset button thinking it's just crashed. Reset, leave for 10 secs, turn on button. No reaction.
I try plugging it in, and get a red light. I leave it for half an hour to build up a charge, before trying to turn it on. Using the on button turns the red light off (charger is still plugged in) but the iLiad doesn't boot up at all.
I would try a reset here. It worked when I had something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Unplugging the charger and replugging it gives me a red light again.
5 Mintues later I try the reset button again, just in case. And try to boot the machine. Again the red light goes off, with no other reaction from the machine.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
shame the battery isn't easy to get to, may just need temporarily pulling the power
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #14
Riocaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
i will suggest one more thing, even if it sounds stupid, but have you tried holding the on switch for about 2 seconds?
Yup, 2, 5, even 10 seconds. Doesn't produce even a flicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
I would try a reset here. It worked when I had something similar.
As I tried a reset, after that, I don't think it would make a difference.

--edit

And of course the iRex support line is only open Monday to Friday 9-5 (8-4 for me)

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-22-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hey Riocaz!

I'm very sorry to hear that you hae problems with your device! You've waited longer than many others and now the device dies so quickly? Seem somebody really doesn't like you...:-(

One part of your problem is normal, the device switching off with the battery still showing half full. I had the same once. It hink it is due to the battery.meter needing calibration. You'll have to fully unload and reload your battery a couple of times to make the battery-meter work properly (at least it seems to have worked for my device and I had a device once that even mentioned this in the manual).

The other problem is of course not so easily explained. Maybe you should leave the device connected to the charger for half a day or something and see whether the red light goes off sometime (like when it's fully charged) and then take it off the line and switch it on (no resetting).
I'm not sure this would work, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote