Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Reading speed???

I'm kinda curious, how fast do you guys/gals read on the ereaders?

Do you move faster or slower than a old school book? For example, my wife and son can fly through books, I just poke along. Of course we can argue about the retention and comprehension levels all day.

Just curious.

And FWIW, I feel that I'm moving faster with my ereader. But that might just be a perspective thing.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I read much faster on my Ebook Reader versus paper books. Currently, I read about 1 book a week.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I read at about the same rate. With the Reader I'm more apt to read several books at once continually. The 900 allows you to sort by "latest read", making it easy to vary your reading at will.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
tnronin
Zealot

One of the hard parts for me is conceptualizing my speed. Books that are a set page number seem larger on the ereader. Therefore, I can't REALLY tell my pacing.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I think that I read at about the same speed. I can get through a short novel in a day or two on the reader, the same as paper. This is the first device that I've had where that's true - I haven't found it practical in the past to read on a small/backlit screen.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I think I read a little slower at first on the reader, but it picked up as I got used to it. The "flash" of a page turn threw me off at first, but now my rhythm of turning pages makes it where I hardly notice it.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
kceb10
kceb10 doesn't litterkceb10 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900
I think i read faster on the reader, i'm currently reading 1-2 books a week and i know for a fact that my wife reads faster on the reader becaue i'm having to buy her 3-4 books a week when we were only buying 2 books a week before but it could also be just to convience of being able to buy a book at home vs. driving to the book store
kceb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I read very very slowly and my reading time is growing shorter. A book usually takes me a month or longer. And now that I no longer work and don't have twice daily commutes, I read even more slowly because of not sitting still for long stretches of time and can't look at a page for long without eye pain.

It's not important how quickly or slowly I read. It's once again being able to read at all that is important.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
tnronin
Zealot

I've noticed that my reading speed increased when I russified my prs-300. Not needing to reach for the center button helps. I'll find myself flipping thru the pages w/o realizing I'm moving along. I'm old and grey now, and it actually hurts (just a little) the thumb joint to stay on that center button.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I tend to go in fits and starts. When I'm on a roll I'll read a book every two days. I've read five books on the my 300 so far and it's getting to be my favorite method. I had to put a tether around my neck for when I'm sitting out in the sun and fall asleep, letting it slip from my hand.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I think I read faster on the ebook reader. I'm even faster on the PRS-900 then PRS-505 since I have less page turns!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Reading on my Sony 600 is faster for me than the printed page. I find that my eyes do not tire and the short lines are so much easier to read. And the ability to make the print larger also helps my eyes. Page turning is not a problem for me...I always had more trouble turning the pages in a book and trying to hold the book open. My thumbs and hands would get tired, but then I'm one of those seniors! : I have read over 18 books since November. NEVER read that much in my life in that short a time span. I really love my "book"!

Last edited by Jan J; 02-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
tnronin
Zealot

I just finished an 800 page novel (true pages) that I started on the 29th. I'm happy with that speed.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think I e-read a hair slower. I have a habit of wanting to flip back a page or three to reread a passage. That sort of jumping around just to peek at something is faster for me with a physical book.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote