Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
Addition of sound effects - a new trend?

I just finished listening to James Patterson's 12th book in the Women's Murder Club series. The second half of the book was littered with TV-like sound effects of car crashes, etc. What's up with all the noise? Is this something new in audiobooks? If so, I'm not a fan.
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oh, how dreadful. I don't mind musical bridges at the beginning and end of a book; I remember Our Man in Havana had musical bridges at the beginning and end of each chapter and I found that intrusive and annoying. But car crashes? That sounds like television noises, which drive me absolutely bonkers.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Musical bridges are OK, even between chapters--though I don't really see the point--but sound effects? Just ... no.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Haven't run across sound effects. No...I wouldn't be a fan. James Patterson seems to do almost anything to try to sell a book. No wait...does he even write his own books anymore?
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I just finished listening to James Patterson's 12th book in the Women's Murder Club series. The second half of the book was littered with TV-like sound effects of car crashes, etc. What's up with all the noise? Is this something new in audiobooks? If so, I'm not a fan.
I don't know if this is a trend, but it is something that is definitely out there. Big Finish audios have full sound effects, but they are more audio plays, so that is understandable. Graphic Audio (there is a pretty good deal from them in last week's Humble Bundle, BTW) adds sound effects and music to productions that are a cross between an audio play and an audiobook - they also have a full cast, but narration that leaves the flow of the story more like an audiobook. I seem to recall that Galaxy Press does similarly. Even Naxos Audiobooks has music between each chapter in most of their productions.

Some people would argue that they are enhancing the story with these things (Graphic Audio's tagline has always been "a movie in your mind"). Others will find the add-ons distracting. Personally, I think it's okay as long as the mixing is right - don't let the sound effects get in the way of hearing the book. That happens to me some in Big Finish titles - too much noise to hear the actual words being spoken. But, as with most things, opinions will differ.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I don't know if this is a trend, but it is something that is definitely out there. Big Finish audios have full sound effects, but they are more audio plays, so that is understandable. Graphic Audio (there is a pretty good deal from them in last week's Humble Bundle, BTW) adds sound effects and music to productions that are a cross between an audio play and an audiobook - they also have a full cast, but narration that leaves the flow of the story more like an audiobook. I seem to recall that Galaxy Press does similarly. Even Naxos Audiobooks has music between each chapter in most of their productions.

Some people would argue that they are enhancing the story with these things (Graphic Audio's tagline has always been "a movie in your mind"). Others will find the add-ons distracting. Personally, I think it's okay as long as the mixing is right - don't let the sound effects get in the way of hearing the book. That happens to me some in Big Finish titles - too much noise to hear the actual words being spoken. But, as with most things, opinions will differ.
The audiobook of the new Star Wars book/movie has lots of music and sound effects. It worked better in the movie. I have heard a number of audiobooks with music. It's ok. A lot depends on the book and how well it's done. For me, the sound effects are more of a distraction, better suited to a dramatization than an audiobook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't come across any sound effects. Is it perhaps more of a small publisher and/or science-fiction thing?

My books almost always come from the major publishers. Music, yes, but nary a creaking door, gunshot, or explosion. Thank goodness.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I haven't come across any sound effects. Is it perhaps more of a small publisher and/or science-fiction thing?
I've never heard it in a science fiction book, and as far as I know "Patterson" doesn't write SF.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

My books almost always come from the major publishers. Music, yes, but nary a creaking door, gunshot, or explosion. Thank goodness.
Graphic Audio isn't exactly small, but the don't publish on Audible. I think of them as more of a niche market (they specialize in truck stops). Galaxy Press is on Audible but I bet you don't read much L. Ron Hubbard, and that's 99% of their library. There might be 1 or 2 individual authors who feel sound effects add something but otherwise most companies won't bother.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A full drama would be awesome as long as the book is there in full.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Graphic Audio isn't exactly small, but the don't publish on Audible. I think of them as more of a niche market (they specialize in truck stops). Galaxy Press is on Audible but I bet you don't read much L. Ron Hubbard, and that's 99% of their library. There might be 1 or 2 individual authors who feel sound effects add something but otherwise most companies won't bother.
No, I don't listen to anything that's not on Audible or Downpour, or available from the public library.

I could see sound clips as an interesting addition to some e-books. For example, if reading about Eisenhower's D-Day address or JFK's inaugural address, there could be an option to click on a link and hear the actual speeches. Or if reading a biography of a musician, a link to listen to a piece being discussed. Actually, this kind of thing might be fun in audiobooks as well, though I don't know how you'd set them up to make it possible to have the choice to listen to the extras or not. And it would probably be cost-prohibitive to use anything not in the public domain.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
No, I don't listen to anything that's not on Audible or Downpour, or available from the public library.

I could see sound clips as an interesting addition to some e-books. For example, if reading about Eisenhower's D-Day address or JFK's inaugural address, there could be an option to click on a link and hear the actual speeches. Or if reading a biography of a musician, a link to listen to a piece being discussed. Actually, this kind of thing might be fun in audiobooks as well, though I don't know how you'd set them up to make it possible to have the choice to listen to the extras or not. And it would probably be cost-prohibitive to use anything not in the public domain.
I listened to "A History of Classical Music" from Naxos (naturally) a couple of years ago. It had the music intermingled with the narration, and I thought it worked okay. That's a bit of a niche, but it worked in that case.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
You guys never purchased a Star Wars audiobook? Almost all the ones I have include sound effects.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
You guys never purchased a Star Wars audiobook? Almost all the ones I have include sound effects.
I see you didn't read my post.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm listening to David Balducci's "Zero Day."
It's narrated by a man and a woman, doing the male and female voices respectively. I don't mind that, in this case because Orlagh Cassidy does a great job with the female voices. Other books that have split the narration that way have not been as successful to my mind.

And the book does have musical bridges between chapters, which hasn't been particularly offensive. But then they go and throw in gunfire sound effects during gunfight scenes.
It's awful. totally unneeded, takes me right out of my immersion in the world. And ironically, what makes it worse for me is they that seems to be the ONLY sound effects they include. And the gunfights are not that frequent, so it's like a sudden intrusion of noise when I'm not expecting it.

I don't mind fully produced audio dramas as such, but an audio book should be a reading performance of a book, that's it.

It's like they tried too many gimmicky embellishments in this book.
Two narrators? OK, it works in this case. Music bridges? Hrmm...no need for it, but OK. GUNFIRE EFFECTS??? WTF??

No, I say Nay. Nay! I say!

ETA: I just realized the music is worse than I thought. It's not specifically at chapter breaks. It's whenever a situation gets "dramatic." What's next, a laugh track? Grrr.

Last edited by ApK; 05-11-2016 at 05:42 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote