Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Lester Dent Plot Formula

Recently I created a template for Scrivener that is based on the Lester Dent Plot and I thought I'd share the formula and the template here at MR in case anyone were interested. I've already begun to come up with a couple possible story lines using the template.

The Formula
Click

The Scrivener template
Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Thank you, this is very cool.

Going to have to grab that template once I'm on my Mac.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Thank you, this is very cool.

Going to have to grab that template once I'm on my Mac.
You're welcome Lemurion. I hope that you find the template useful.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Reminds me of the "Midsomer Murders" formula.

1. Optional - start with an old murder from way back.
2. Murder in strange place, or with strange object (like a wheel of cheese ... "where's the murder weapon?" ... "you're standing in it!")
3. Village life, and some people where they shouldn't be
4. Have another murder (actually, 3 is a good count for Midsomer)
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love Midsomer Murders -- especially with the first male lead. I never thought about them having a formula before. Not surprising perhaps. The mystery genre has it's rules; then toss in the required three act construction for novels, etc., and there isn't much wiggle room. Still, IMHO, completing a novel is difficult even with the help of all those rules.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
I love Midsomer Murders -- especially with the first male lead. I never thought about them having a formula before. Not surprising perhaps. The mystery genre has it's rules; then toss in the required three act construction for novels, etc., and there isn't much wiggle room. Still, IMHO, completing a novel is difficult even with the help of all those rules.
I like the midsomer murder shows too. As for the rules I tend to think of them more as a basic structure on which a story can be built. I mean to use the house analogy you can use the same tools to build a small house or a mansion. The layout will be different and what goes inside once it's finished may vary but the basic techniques used to build both are the same.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Matt, now where have I heard that formula before? Oh yes -- Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a lead pipe.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ooo, I used to love Clue.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I wonder how many authors played a game of Clue and then turned it it to a story? Seems like you could.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote