Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
ThatGuy
ThatGuy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
iPhone - the best PDF reader out there

UPDATE: If you've come to us through Google, you'll be delighted to hear that we just launched our dedicated iPhone as an e-book reader forum!

Join the discussions here --Alex, 07/24/08

To my surprise, the iPhone has turned out to finally fill the mobile PDF needs I have tried to satisfy with the Sony eBook reader and my TabletPC. The PDF reader built-in to the system is fast and supports zoom and landscape view, making it very easy to read any document, especially if it has two or more columns, which fit the screen really well. You either need to store the PDFs as email attachments, save them to something like box.net to view using the browser, or else jailbreak your phone and use the PDFViewer software, but these are relatively easy...
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
To my surprise, the iPhone has turned out to finally fill the mobile PDF needs I have tried to satisfy with the Sony eBook reader and my TabletPC. The PDF reader built-in to the system is fast and supports zoom and landscape view, making it very easy to read any document, especially if it has two or more columns, which fit the screen really well. You either need to store the PDFs as email attachments, save them to something like box.net to view using the browser, or else jailbreak your phone and use the PDFViewer software, but these are relatively easy...
Actually the best available today is the iLiad or a full blown laptop. The iPhone screen is too small to be the best.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess it depends on your definition of "mobile" . I entirely agree that the iLiad is far and away the best machine (other than a full-blown laptop) for displaying PDFs, but some may not consider it to be a particularly portable system. It's certainly not pocket sized.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

You either need to store the PDFs as email attachments, save them to something like box.net to view using the browser, or else jailbreak your phone and use the PDFViewer software, but these are relatively easy...

Sounds like a pain in the proverbial to me. I hope Apple sort this out soon as I would really like an iPod Touch.

FoxItReader is worth checking out for Windows and WindowsMobile. As is PocketXpdf for Windows Mobile.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of "mobile" . I entirely agree that the iLiad is far and away the best machine (other than a full-blown laptop) for displaying PDFs, but some may not consider it to be a particularly portable system. It's certainly not pocket sized.
Certainly true but the original poster made no such stipulation that is had to be pocket size. The original statement made a huge claim that I didn't feel was justified and could be misleading. There are many folks out there wanting to read PDF files and many go out and buy hardware and are very disappointed with the results. PDF files are very misunderstood and what you can successfully read them with is very confusing. Expectations are everything when it comes to PDF reading.

Dale
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I completely agree, Dale. It is an unfortunate fact that many people buy bookreaders with the expectation of being able to read A4/Letter PDFs and are disappointed by the limitations that the format imposes on such things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
ThatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Sounds like a pain in the proverbial to me. I hope Apple sort this out soon as I would really like an iPod Touch..
Not really, its a lot easier than using any of the PDF conversion tools for the Sony Reader, since it supports native PDFs. To jailbreak your phone, you just go to a website (jailbreakme.com) and click on a link, then you can install the PDF reader right from the AppTap installer on the phone. The whole thing is three clicks.

And I agree that tablets are good for reading PDFs (I have one), but they just aren't as portable, are expensive, and are not that great for casual reading. Have either of you tried using an iPhone for PDFs? It really is an impressive experience, though I have not tried the iLiad (which is much priceir)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Not really, its a lot easier than using any of the PDF conversion tools for the Sony Reader, since it supports native PDFs. To jailbreak your phone, you just go to a website (jailbreakme.com) and click on a link, then you can install the PDF reader right from the AppTap installer on the phone. The whole thing is three clicks.

And I agree that tablets are good for reading PDFs (I have one), but they just aren't as portable, are expensive, and are not that great for casual reading. Have either of you tried using an iPhone for PDFs? It really is an impressive experience, though I have not tried the iLiad (which is much priceir)
Yes I have tried the PDF on an iPhone and found it not very good for a letter sized pdf with lots of text to read. But I an not an expert at contantly zooming out and then back in to read stuff.

Dale
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Hmm, I picked up an iPod Touch recently and went through the whole jailbreak routine without any issues. While I've looked at a PDF via the web browser, I have yet to figure out how to get the PDF's onto the Touch and into the directory the viewer states they need to be in. Is there some other tool I need to load on it and my PC to enable being able to directly access the file system on the Touch? Also, what forums do you recommend for the Touch? I've found a few, but I'm really interested in the whole third-party app concept. Thanks!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
ThatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
While I've looked at a PDF via the web browser, I have yet to figure out how to get the PDF's onto the Touch and into the directory the viewer states they need to be in. Is there some other tool I need to load on it and my PC to enable being able to directly access the file system on the Touch? Also, what forums do you recommend for the Touch? I've found a few, but I'm really interested in the whole third-party app concept. Thanks!
Modmyifone and Hackintosh are the best forums, TUAW is a good blog.

In order to easily move files, you need to install something like iPhoneBrowser (http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817), it has a nice GUI interface. If you have problems, you need to install a2fc first, directions are here: http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11945

The other way to move files is using SSH, which you can do remotely.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
I am relatively new to the whole mobile reading thing, but I love my iPod Touch. I use it to read pdfs and take notes via the notes app. I also like the books.app that i can use for ebooks. I am sure many will think it too small, but Ihave found it very readable. I can only hope that the touch is just the begining and a newton is in the works. Make it just 20% larger in screen size and I think it would be a great portable internet tablet.

To setup safari to read pdfs go to ipodtouchfans.com. it is a forum with all the instructions. You ave to install apache and you are all set. Hope this helps.
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It does show PDFs better than other devices so far but the constant zoolling (zooming-scrolling) really gets on my nerves. When I read I get put off by the fact a reader should get so much attention. It should really fade-off and let the story come alive. That would be the better performance of a reader, a device that would let the story come alive better than a Pbook.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
best PDF reader for iPhone

Try the Good Reader app for iPhone. I've been using it for several months to read PDFs, and it's been very usable. It lets you zoom in as much as needed without losing crispness, and handles large PDFs well by rendering one page at a time. The developers are also very responsive to email questions/suggestions.
Good luck!
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
duncan_bayne
duncan_bayne began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I use FileAid, which is available for free at the moment. I've reviewed it briefly on my blog, along with the other iPhone apps I use and recommend. (I don't work for digidna or know anyone who does, I just love their app and am happy to plug it).
duncan_bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
The best PDF reader out there is definitely GoodReader. PDF support is really great.

According to one of the testimonials it handles PDF files up to 1 gb.

Highly recommended.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote