Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, you can get non-Amazon purchases to sync (Furthest Point Read only - no notes or bookmarks) between multiple devices, but you have to be willing (and able) to fiddle with the metadata -- and it has to be an ebook that Amazon does sell in order to work.

If the ebooks (on the multiple devices) share a valid Amazon ASIN number (EXTH Record 113) and EXTH record 501 (cdetype) contains the value 'EBOK' (rather than 'PDOC'), WhisperSync will happily keep track of your "Furthest Read" point on the various devices.
Thanks for the tip! I would love to be able to sync my sideloaded books
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wiki page is up!

Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u
Wiki page is up!
Very nice!

For the record, the same thing can be done on Linux and Mac machines that have the MobiPerl Tools installed... it would just have to be done with the command-line version of mobi2mobi as there is no gui. Definitely a PITA for some, but still do-able.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Very nice!

For the record, the same thing can be done on Linux and Mac machines that have the MobiPerl Tools installed... it would just have to be done with the command-line version of mobi2mobi as there is no gui. Definitely a PITA for some, but still do-able.
I'll add that little tidbit. Thanks again!

If any Mac or Linux Gurus want to tackle this please let me know.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Update

Well, thanks to m0ngr31's thread ASIN info, we now know that the ASIN of a pBook can be used if Amazon does not sell a Kindle version.

I tested a freebie I got from B&N called "Deadly Sanctuary" by Sylvia Nobel. It is the first book in a series and is only available as a paperback on Amazon. The first version of book I found did not have an ASIN number but I found copies being sold by individuals on Amazon did have an ASIN.

I followed the same procedure using the Mobi2Mobi GUI (with K4PC and K3) and it worked just fine!

I'll be updating the wiki accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ds pbook on amazon.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	63955   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds pbook isbn.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	63956   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds pbook asin.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	63957   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS 113 ASIN.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	63958   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds 501 ebok.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	63959   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds exth info.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	63960   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds k4pc sync.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	63961   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds kindle sync message.gif
Views:	398
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	63962   Click image for larger version

Name:	ds kindle sync.gif
Views:	344
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	63963  
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #36
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
This is awesome.

Is there anyway though to batch save the exth data on a lot of books at the same time?
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #37
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Deadly Sanctuary WAS available from Amazon as an eBook at least for a short time as I have it on my K3 and is still listed in my "Your Orders" section of my Manage Your Kindle page. I downloaded it on 12/24.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75070 View Post
Deadly Sanctuary WAS available from Amazon as an eBook at least for a short time as I have it on my K3 and is still listed in my "Your Orders" section of my Manage Your Kindle page. I downloaded it on 12/24.
I do recall that but you can't find it now. I was too slow when it was available on Amazon.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #39
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
This is awesome.

Is there anyway though to batch save the exth data on a lot of books at the same time?
It would be awesome if someone could write a Calibre plugin that handles this.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #40
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
It would be awesome if someone could write a Calibre plugin that handles this.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #41
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the info. I'm using 3 devices (a kindle, a pc, and an adroid smartphone) for reading and using this method I can finally sync my books across devices.

I've did some experimenting, and it seems, the ASIN doesn't even has to be valid. I've managed to sync my 3 test books using bogus numbers like "B000000001", "B000000002", "B000000003", and so on. The only problem with this, that the android app is downloading some random images from amazon as book covers . Tomorrow, I'll try it big. 500 books, from "B000000001" to "B000000500". I'll report back about it.
Kerenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks for being a guinea pig Kernon! DiapDealer made a joke about the ASIN number of a toaster being workable for this trick... looks like he may be right. Karma comin' at cha!

It looks like you have a good fake numbering system. My concern is making sure the fake number is not one for books we already own or might buy in the future. I'll stick to the ASIN of a pbook version but try a fake number if I can't find a matching ASIN.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #43
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So. I did the test, and it seems to work without problems. I've selected 500 random books from my collection and mass-tagged them with the appropriate data using mobiperl, and a small one-shot script, and the results are great .
I admit I didn't check all 500 of them. I've picked 30 random books, and they are all syncing just fine, so I assume all of them are working fine. As I mentioned before, the only problem is that the android app is downloading some random images as cover art, but I can live with that.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #44
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Kerenon, thanks for doing that. Do you mind sharing your script to allows us to do the same?

Also, how are the Cover tags on various machines? (ie: K4PC, Android, iOS or whatever device you have?)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #45
Kerenon

Sure. I don't mind sharing it, but don't know if it will help anyone . It's a one-shot script. Everything hard-coded, no error chekcing/handling. no nothing . You have to modify it, or it probably won't work at all. On top of that I'm using linux so to use it on windows, you have to modify it even more.

About the covers: K4PC, and the Kindle itself, are showing the embedded cover. The only problem is with the android reader. I don't have any iDevices, so I have no idea about that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fake_asin.zip (452 Bytes, 238 views)

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync